Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

test drove 2021 model s plaid (comparison to modded model 3 performance)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on multiple high speed runs and after in depth convos with the owners, yes.

We all know that the top end of the plaid is superior.

But is it worth the 30-60k more? Personal choice.

Rent them on Turo, make your own decision.

Assuming you replied to that comment I deleted - I quoted the wrong person, meant to quote Duke.

As far as info, your third hand knowledge of vehicles by proxy, is irrelevant.

Also, that post you quoted of mine, it was sarcasm. I love the M3P.

Reactions: Duke846
No doubt M3P is a great vehicle at $60k. But some of us ( not CEOs and certainly not auto journos who write better than they drive) who have worked hard, been lucky and invested well and hence can afford full on dedicated performance cars and a Plaid certainly appreciate what our hard earned cash can buy.
I never said you couldn't - I challenged your opinion by asking you to identify the other vehicles to which you refer [other than the plaid] when you made the statement: "
Written by a typical M3 driver with no actual
knowledge of performance cars and lack of differentiation between initial throttle response and actual acceleration"

I ask you again - what vehicles were you referring to? Not how wealthy you are and that you can spend it. I don't care how much money you have - you can spend it any way you want - I want to talk cars. With that snobbish attitude I can go back to LA and talk with BMW people! :D

I owned a 911 for 8 years - recently selling it to avoid the outrageous maintenance costs of the vehicles as it ages. I owned other performance vehicles before that, including performance SUV's from Porsche. I bought a M3P to replace the 911 - I've done Bondurant and have a more than passing knowledge of performance vehicles. For the type of non-track driving that happens 99.95% of the time for most people, the M3P is every bit the equivalent of my 911 in street and highway driving. Sure - the M3P would not be able to keep up with the 911 for 10 laps on a road course or even an oval, but then your Plaid can't either. . ..

Last edited:
Reactions: Duke846
He doesn't know that yet, but will soon enough.
Electric requires so much in the way of battery conditioning and temperature regulation of the motors and the battery - its just not track ready for a 50 mile race much less a 500 mile race - I'm thinking that Formula 1 will go electric before Indy Car - and not sure how stock car racing will absorb EV changeovers. . .

Reactions: Sam1
I never said you couldn't - I challenged your opinion by asking you to identify the other vehicles to which you refer [other than the plaid] when you made the statement: "
Written by a typical M3 driver with no actual
knowledge of performance cars and lack of differentiation between initial throttle response and actual acceleration"

I ask you again - what vehicles were you referring to?
Since you asked, I am lucky enough to own a Mclaren 675, an Ariel Atom V8, a V12 Vantage and a Raven MS in the UK (besides the other family cars) and a company-owned Plaid in the Bay Area. I only came on to this thread in reaction to the OP‘s comment about acceleration where I fundamentally disgree with initial movement off the line to be ”performance”.

BTW I drive frequently on track, with racing licenses in the US and UK. I love my Tesla and I don’t want to divert this thread, but I do have a bit of a pet peeve about people somehow mistaking them to be performance drivers’ cars, since the acceleration peters off so quickly (except the Palladiums), and their high rotational inertia. I have a personal Plaid on order in the UK and plan to upgrade the brakes ASAP, but unlikely I will track it. I hope someday Tesla will allow for left foot braking to help with turn in (currently they immediately pop up an error) though that might forever be a limitation with electric motors and regen.

Last edited:
Since you asked, I am lucky enough to own a Mclaren 675, an Ariel Atom V8, a V12 Vantage and a Raven MS in the UK (besides the other family cars) and a company-owned Plaid in the Bay Area. I only came on to this thread in reaction to the OP‘s comment about acceleration where I fundamentally disgree with initial movement off the line to be ”performance”.

BTW I drive frequently on track, with racing licenses in the US and UK. I love my Tesla and I don’t want to divert this thread, but I do have a bit of a pet peeve about people somehow mistaking them to be performance drivers’ cars, since the acceleration peters off so quickly (except the Palladiums), and their high rotational inertia. I have a personal Plaid on order in the UK and plan to upgrade the brakes ASAP, but unlikely I will track it. I hope someday Tesla will allow for left foot braking to help with turn in (currently they immediately pop up an error) though that might forever be a limitation with electric motors and regen.
like I thought no model 3 performance.

Thanks for answering the question! Nice cars. None of them are under $200k USD. I EXPECT a higher level of performance at that price point. But. You could have a Rolls, or a old Panerai or whatever

Absolutely. A bit of initial thrust and then nothing. As a performance car quickly falls behind my ICE cars. It has a silly suspension - easily bump-steered off the the line on anything but the smoothest tarmac. Not possible to throttle steer - just pushes even in track mode.

It’s a fun daily driver with good tech but a bit rough. Doesn’t quite have the effortless feel and refinement of a MS for the daily drive.

Again - an excellent choice at the price and does everything quite well with its limits.

Sorry I have to defend the model 3P a little here. Honestly your ICE cars (Ariel Atom and Mclaren) are in another stratosphere of performance, so really not a fair comparison at all.

It's true competitor are the german performance sedans (BMW, Mercedes and Audi) and I believe it stands it's ground well. This is coming from someone that's owned 4 M cars.

I agree stock it's not ideal, but there's plenty of aftermarket (MPP, UPP) out there and with a little extra investment the car truly shines. I haven't encountered any bumpsteer that you describe and I've tracked the car plenty. The car is very neutral and you can adjust forward/rear bias easily with track mode.

Also the car gets excellent lap times at my local tracks, equal to an F80 M3, F87 M2, Porsche cayman. and frequently dominates in most autox events.

Reactions: Hank42
I have owned both. There is absolutely no comparison between the G-loading of the M3P and the Plaid that you feel in your 0-60 jaunts. None at all. I could mash the pedal all day long and hold it down in the M3P and it would bring a smile to my face each time. I do it once in the Plaid and it is literally brutal. Almost too much of a punch to be fun. ***almost*** :)

Anecdotal evidence: My 12 year old boy used to beg me at every stoplight to “Nail it!“ [his words] in my M3P. In the Plaid, he tells mommy on me if I do and I get in trouble.
I love this!! Plaid is my dream car, but I’m scared I’m only gonna be able to punch it when I’m alone..😂

I love this!! Plaid is my dream car, but I’m scared I’m only gonna be able to punch it when I’m alone..😂
That is a very real concern. With my 2022 MS LR I already got hit enough by my wife when launching hard. There is no way I can even think about dropping the hammer in my Plaid.

I have found our boosted M3 LR is the limit of her tolerance for high g launches. Though to her credit, she now drives that car in sport mode all the time rather than chill, so there is progress there.

That is a very real concern. With my 2022 MS LR I already got hit enough by my wife when launching hard. There is no way I can even think about dropping the hammer in my Plaid.

I have found our boosted M3 LR is the limit of her tolerance for high g launches. Though to her credit, she now drives that car in sport mode all the time rather than chill, so there is progress there.
Yeah, It’s definitely not as fun when your not the one launching it. I only have a 3 Lr, and the acceleration on that doesn’t even phase me. Hopefully plaid is in the future!

Reactions: Hank42
Yeah, It’s definitely not as fun when your not the one launching it. I only have a 3 Lr, and the acceleration on that doesn’t even phase me. Hopefully plaid is in the future!
DId you add boost to the LR? A stock LR isn't bad at about 4.2-4.3 for 0-60. The boost definitely perks it up. On our M3 LR, the second day it was home boost went on it.

Basically if you have the M3 LR, under upgrades in the app, it will give you an option for acceleration boost. It is 2k and will knock about 0.6 seconds off your 0-60 time. So right about the range of Audi R8 and can easily slay most any stock Mustang, Camaro, etc. Well worth the 2k upgrade cost.

Basically if you have the M3 LR, under upgrades in the app, it will give you an option for acceleration boost. It is 2k and will knock about 0.6 seconds off your 0-60 time. So right about the range of Audi R8 and can easily slay most any stock Mustang, Camaro, etc. Well worth the 2k upgrade cost.
I don’t have that. Under upgrades in the app, the only option is accessories. No performance boost at all. It is a 2022 3 LR