Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

test drove 2021 model s plaid (comparison to modded model 3 performance)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to give you a modded model 3 performance owners perspective of a test drive of a plaid model s.
My car has pretty much every suspension/brake mod from MPP on it and I'm running lightweight 19" wheels with 200TW tires.

First and foremost, the elephant in the room: the low speed vibration issue
>The car I drove was a 2021 with 5k miles, I drove it all all kinds of speeds 0-110mph and varied the speed around town. I did not experience
the vibration that owners are referring to. I'm sure it's possible that it could be isolated to specific cars but this one was smooth as silk.

Here's my feedback in the test drive of the Plaid:
Pros:
-large interior (doesn't feel as cramped as model 3 for my legs and arms)
-rear trunk lift (plenty of clearance)
-seats more ergonomic (although base of seat feels a bit hard)
-more leg space
-YOKE: I like the feel, it has a nice tugging feel on turn in.
-steering feel (more road feel from front wheels than model 3 which I found surprising in a good way)
-suspension (adjustable including ride height) although still feels a bit floaty in some circumstances
-Fast (gets up to 100mph in no time)
-handling is actually really good for a big car (doesn't feel like 4800lbs), corners very nice on wide fast sweeper and works well with yoke
-stereo is excellent (wider soundstage than the model 3)

Cons:
-turn signals on yoke not intuitive (prefer the stalk)
-acceleration doesn't feel visceral, way too smooth and uneventful
-seats could have better side bolsters and base of seat feels a little hard
-not as agile as model 3 and a feels bit floaty at times

So in general, it's a wonderful car. Would I buy one - absolutely yes, but I feel it's more of a $100k car then a $140k car. The one I looked at
was $117k with FSD with 5k miles which is a pretty good deal (although I would prefer paying $105-110k without FSD).

What surprised me was the rave about the acceleration, actually feel that my modded model 3 with 200TW pulls much harder from 0-60 but of
course it kind of flattens out after that. I guess the plaid air suspension being a lot more floaty removes the 'feeling of speed' from the experience.

I think what I liked the most:
-The Yoke and the front end feel
-Cabin experience
-Surprising handling prowess for such a heavy car

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to give you a modded model 3 performance owners perspective of a test drive of a plaid model s.
My car has pretty much every suspension/brake mod from MPP on it and I'm running lightweight 19" wheels with 200TW tires.

>The car I drove was a 2021 with 5k miles, I drove it all all kinds of speeds 0-110mph and varied the speed around town. I did not experience
the vibration that owners are referring to. I'm sure it's possible that it could be isolated to specific cars but this one was smooth as silk.

Pros:
-more leg space
-steering feel (more road feel from front wheels than model 3 which I found surprising in a good way)
-suspension (adjustable including ride height) although still feels a bit floaty in some circumstances
-handling is actually really good for a big car (doesn't feel like 4800lbs), corners very nice on wide fast sweeper and works well with yoke

Cons:

So in general, it's a wonderful car. Would I buy one - absolutely yes, but I feel it's more of a $100k car then a $140k car. The one I looked at
was $117k with FSD with 5k miles which is a pretty good deal (although I would prefer paying $105-110k without FSD).

What surprised me was the rave about the acceleration, actually feel that my modded model 3 with 200TW pulls much harder from 0-60 but of
course it kind of flattens out after that. I guess the plaid air suspension being a lot more floaty removes the 'feeling of speed' from the experience.

-Cabin experience
I feel the same way about my Cessna 172 and my Lear Jet🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Sounds like the car was traction limited if you feel the acceleration was the same as your M3P. My experience driving a plaid in damp conditions showed that it was on par with my P85DL... while under 50 mph or so. Above that was a different story as the plaid's acceleration is relentless.

I do think that the performance plus suspension was the best Tesla ever did, adaptive air included.

Every review I’ve watched seems blown away by the acceleration at any speed range. Can you elaborate more why it feels uneventful for you

I think it's because the Plaid's air suspension makes the car a bit more floaty and disconnected from the road.. so when the car accelerates it's not as visceral.

I've modified my M3P heavily suspension-wise so you have alot more road feel and the sensation of speed is more noticeable. Plus I'm running semi-slick tires so it just grips and goes.

I have owned both. There is absolutely no comparison between the G-loading of the M3P and the Plaid that you feel in your 0-60 jaunts. None at all. I could mash the pedal all day long and hold it down in the M3P and it would bring a smile to my face each time. I do it once in the Plaid and it is literally brutal. Almost too much of a punch to be fun. ***almost*** :)

Anecdotal evidence: My 12 year old boy used to beg me at every stoplight to “Nail it!“ [his words] in my M3P. In the Plaid, he tells mommy on me if I do and I get in trouble.

in my plaid I’ve experienced an extremely subtle traction control system. Its absolutely nothing like in an ICE vehicle. It happens in the background and is really unnoticeable until you realize the car isn’t pulling as hard as it should. there are times I’ll mat it and I’m completely floored with the acceleration. Those are the times the car is actually outputting full power to the ground, or at least i think. Most of the time on the streets (not great surfaces here at all) I’m not getting the full beans.

Also something I’ve noticed i don’t see mentioned much. If you look at the throttle meter when you punch it from a dig it doesn’t immediately go to 100%. it ramps up. perhaps Tesla determined the available traction cannot match the power potential. Or maybe its just a display issue.

Hi Guys,

Pros:
-more leg space

Cons:

-Cabin experience
Did you check if it was in Plaid mode, vs Sport? Sport mode is similar to a Model 3 Performance from 0-60.

Anyone that says the acceleration of a plaid vs a model 3 performance feels even remotely the same cannot be taken seriously or need to get there senses checked. That’s like comparing a base Honda civic vs a base Porsche in terms of acceleration. It’s such a huge difference. You’re talking about a car that traps 114mph in the 1/4 mile vs a car that traps well over 150mph and you saying the acceleration feels the same. Lol

Anyone that says the acceleration of a plaid vs a model 3 performance feels even remotely the same cannot be taken seriously or need to get there senses checked. That’s like comparing a base Honda civic vs a base Porsche in terms of acceleration. It’s such a huge difference. You’re talking about a car that traps 114mph in the 1/4 mile vs a car that traps well over 150mph and you saying the acceleration feels the same. Lol
Yea I have both. It doesn’t feel the same, lol