Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Hold Up!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to update this thread, the long waiting game is over! I picked up my Model 3 on Wednesday at the Dallas Service Center. I didn't report anything on my due bill, and I've been enjoying the car thoroughly. This thread has been immensely helpful the last several months.

In terms of things left for me to do:
- Ordered cargo mats on Tesla.
- Installing a qi charger in the phone bay.
- Finally get around to having the Blackvue camera I ordered through the M3OC group buy installed!
- Will probably get the Piano Black center console wrapped.
- Debating whether to get the car tinted or not. Will see what the car's like in the Texas heat.
- Finally living the dream of owning an EV (something I've wanted to do since the EV1 days!)

I decided to call Tesla again this morning as soon as their hours started (9am Texas time) and see if there was any new info. Here’s what I found:

• I don’t yet have an ISA. I know most people don’t get one until they receive a VIN, but due to a few reported instances I figured I’d ask.
  • The notes system definitely works. The representative I spoke with today was able to see the notes added last time I spoke with someone.
  • The representative definitely thinks I should have my car within about 3 weeks (before the end of the month, when my deadline is). I’m already in week 5 now.
  • Tesla ships the car to Texas upon confirmation of check send, not cashing. It seems like the best thing you can do is ship it yourself and/or get a tracking number to provide your ISA.
  • ISAs will reportedly try to prioritize your car if you have a deadline, but only once you’ve been assigned a VIN. There doesn’t seem to be anything that can be done before VIN assignment.
  • The people answering the phones have no insight/access to the production schedule. They can only go off the information they and their coworkers have seen on the accounts of the people that call in and talking with ISAs.

Also, the data is getting impossible to track with two separate databases of data between Troy’s google sheets and the model3invites google website. Don’t forget to check both when analyzing data. (I don’t have the links since I’m on mobile right now)

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J and bollar
I've gone from April 24th schedule delivery on the website, to "We will reach out to you to schedule your delivery date."
Then May 4th to we found a scratch on your car that needs to get fixed, back to "We will reach out to you to schedule your delivery date."
Waiting again... getting ridiculous... and the self torture continues... drip, drip, drip, drip...

I am interested to hear about this -- especially if it works while you're parked and how the power issues others reported were dealt with.
Going on 1 month with my Dashcam installed. No dead 12v battery. Like previous responder my unit is connected thru 12v supply off center console 12v adapter. My camera does not run when parked. I have 2ch Blackvue 750 dashcam.

Reactions: bollar
VIN assignments for TX have slowed again.
They seem to be prioritizing Washington State and now Canada. It is frustrating that we dont even get to use the state EV tax credit here and now they get to cut us in line after configuring. I know its for Tesla's greater good, but it is definitely disheartening.

/vent

Reactions: geoffreak
Going on 1 month with my Dashcam installed. No dead 12v battery. Like previous responder my unit is connected thru 12v supply off center console 12v adapter. My camera does not run when parked. I have 2ch Blackvue 750 dashcam.
That seems straightforward and I guess you could use an external battery to keep it going while parked. I'll probably pull the trigger when the DR900S comes out (or ThinkWare comes out with their equivalent 4K version).

Approaching 5 weeks since ordering and 3 weeks until my deadline and still no VIN. If I don't get a VIN by tomorrow, I don't see how Tesla could possibly get my car to me on time. I'm just straight up screwed at this point. I have no way to delay or cancel my trip and I need the car for it. I also have no way to let the right people at Tesla know that my time is running out.

I'm watching as my coworker, who received their VIN a week ago, still has heard absolutely nothing from their ISA despite repeated attempts to contact them and assurances from the phone line representatives that they would have the ISA contact them right away. Either they are lying to my coworker or the ISA just doesn't care. This does not bode well for them to care at all about my plight.

That seems straightforward and I guess you could use an external battery to keep it going while parked. I'll probably pull the trigger when the DR900S comes out (or ThinkWare comes out with their equivalent 4K version).
I’ll bring my m3 to southlake Saturday morning. You can look at my dashcam install and imagine. Blackvue 750. On my ms dashcam works all the time.

Reactions: bollar
Approaching 5 weeks since ordering and 3 weeks until my deadline and still no VIN. If I don't get a VIN by tomorrow, I don't see how Tesla could possibly get my car to me on time. I'm just straight up screwed at this point. I have no way to delay or cancel my trip and I need the car for it. I also have no way to let the right people at Tesla know that my time is running out.

I'm watching as my coworker, who received their VIN a week ago, still has heard absolutely nothing from their ISA despite repeated attempts to contact them and assurances from the phone line representatives that they would have the ISA contact them right away. Either they are lying to my coworker or the ISA just doesn't care. This does not bode well for them to care at all about my plight.

My experience after having received a VIN has not been great. Speaking with the SC it is highly unlikely they will be able to deliver within their original estimate for which I configured and paid.

The agreement is very one sided ... Consequences to the buyer (not limited to loss of the "not a deposit" and fees) if Tesla can't deliver to their estimate but no consequences to Tesla if they can't meet their own schedule.

"Order; Nonrefundable Order Payment; Changes. Once you submit your completed order, we will locate a vehicle to match your Vehicle
Configuration and coordinate the shipment of the Vehicle for delivery. Your Order Payment [$3500] covers the cost of these activities and other
processing costs and is nonrefundable; it is not a deposit for the Vehicle. Any changes to your Vehicle Configuration, delivery location or expected
delivery time after the Order Date will be difficult, if not impossible, for us to accommodate
. If you want to make changes to your order, we will try
to accommodate your request. If we accept your request, you will be subject to a non-refundable $500 change fee and potential price increases for
any pricing adjustments made since your original Order Date. Any changes made by you to your Vehicle Configuration, including changes to the
delivery location or estimated delivery date, will be reflected in a subsequent Vehicle Configuration that will form part of this Agreement.

Cancellation; Default. We incur significant costs in managing your order, and locating and coordinating delivery logistics for your Vehicle. We may
also incur significant costs for remarketing and reselling the Vehicle, including additional coordination, logistics and transport costs. If you cancel or
default in this Agreement, you will not be refunded your Order Payment as it has already been earned by us in taking and processing your order.
You acknowledge that the Order Payment amount is a fair and reasonable estimate of the actual damages that we have incurred or may incur as a
result of your breach of this Agreement, damages that are otherwise impracticable or extremely difficult to determine. When you take delivery of
the vehicle we will provide a credit to the final purchase price of your Vehicle equivalent to the amount of the Order Payment you paid. This Order
Payment and this Agreement are not made or entered into in anticipation of or pending any conditional sale contract.

Delivery. If you are picking up your Vehicle in a state where we are licensed to sell the Vehicle, we will notify you of when we expect your Vehicle
to be ready for delivery at your local Tesla Delivery Center, or other location as we may agree to. You agree to schedule and take delivery of your
Vehicle within one week of this date. If you are unable to take delivery within the specified period, your Vehicle may be made available for sale to
other customers.
If you wish to pick up your Vehicle in a state where we are not licensed to sell the Vehicle, or if you and Tesla otherwise agree, Tesla will, on your
behalf, coordinate the shipment of your Vehicle to you from our factory in California or another state where we are licensed to sell the Vehicle. In
such a case, you agree that this is a shipment contract under which Tesla will coordinate the shipping of the Vehicle to you via a third-party
common carrier. You agree that delivery of the Vehicle, including the transfer of title and risk of loss to you, will occur at the time your Vehicle is
loaded onto the common carrier’s transport (i.e., FOB shipping point). The carrier will insure your Vehicle while in transit and you will be the
beneficiary of any claims for damage to the Vehicle or losses occurring while the Vehicle is in the possession of a common carrier.
The estimated delivery date of your Vehicle indicated in this Agreement is an estimate only and is not a guarantee of when your Vehicle will
actually be delivered. To secure your final payment and performance under the terms of this Agreement, we will retain a security interest in the
Vehicle and all proceeds therefrom until your obligations have been fulfilled."

Last edited:
my experience so far is completely different.
I called Tesla two days after getting my VIN, they checked my account and found that the email address was incorrect, which is why I hadn't seen the email. They fixed that and I found the email.
I replied to email with the requested details and got a reply within 20 minutes. He then enabled the payment and trade-in sections so I could get started filling them in. That process was a couple of emails with no more that 30 minutes between them.
Now its just waiting for me to take pictures of my trade and upload them with the registration papers.
Pretty painless really :)

Reactions: NIGHTHAWK017
my experience so far is completely different.
I called Tesla two days after getting my VIN, they checked my account and found that the email address was incorrect, which is why I hadn't seen the email. They fixed that and I found the email.
I replied to email with the requested details and got a reply within 20 minutes. He then enabled the payment and trade-in sections so I could get started filling them in. That process was a couple of emails with no more that 30 minutes between them.
Now its just waiting for me to take pictures of my trade and upload them with the registration papers.
Pretty painless really :)

Yep, there has been quite a variance in experiences, others have had your good experience as well. I'll accept that and wish that was the case for me.

I configured the same day the config opened (no email). After getting the VIN (a bit over three weeks, not as bad as others I know, so still "on target") it then took a week for the ISA to get back to me. I already had financing pre-approved. Four business days after I submitted all the trade in info/pictures and it not being completed I cancelled the trade in because it was the only thing holding up the process (feedback says it was to be done between 24-48 hours) I can't take physically take delivery if it is too late (not because I'm overly eager). After receiving the final agreement I signed and returned it within 30 minutes. I received the counter signed agreement the following week, final payment (UFCU ACH) was electronically sent the same day ... getting charged interest ... still don't have a delivery date. Quite literally everything I could do was either done before requested or within minutes that I could submit it.

Every step of the way I let the Gallery, Service Center, Sales Agents, and ISA know when I can't take delivery (2 weeks after the 3-6 week estimate). That is the first note in their system the same day I completed the order. Every time they said "don't worry, you'll have it before then" _every time_ and several times "you'll have it sooner than you think". That is until this week and the local DS said "we _hope_ to have it by the end of the month ... it is still sitting in fremont"

Besides the lack of responsiveness from the ISA everyone has been great to speak / work with. I suspect and hope that I will take delivery after the estimated timeframe and before I can't take delivery. If it arrives later I really hope that they allow someone else to take delivery of the vehicle and allow me to take delivery when I am able to and not be charged fees or lose the "not a deposit" per the agreement. I'm happy to pay the interest, hopefully the bank allows me to cancel the financing without consequences.

Normally I would not be this anxious but I have been acting in Tesla's guidance and in Tesla's words "changes in the delivery time after the order date will be impossible to accommodate" and, per the agreement, I'll just have to accept the consequences of not being able to take delivery which I think will be messier than the agreement implies. I would be interesting to know other Texan' experience of having paid for and legally "accepted title" per the finalized agreement but for whatever reason not be able to take delivery.

Quicker turn-around by the Trade and ISA team would probably have resolved this. I have good experience getting hold of random agents but they respond that the ISA has the next step (to complete signature, schedule delivery, etc.). I am sure they have their own challenges (waiting for trade in team, legal team, shipping team,etc). For the most part calling or emailing is just a black hole (I did get one response that they are waiting for funding to post after I sent several proofs [finalized agreements, ACH postings, account statements] that payment was finalized on my/the bank's side and nothing else we can do).

Operationally it seems a waste to have a vehicle sitting in Fremont. I can think of several JIT improvements that would result in a quicker and consistent delivery, less sitting inventory, and still comply with finalized sales taking place with the vehicle out of state lines.

I know other people's experiences that took only two days (from VIN to delivery date scheduled w/ financing) has taken me across three weeks (and counting). /rant off ... I'm still looking forward to taking delivery though, no matter how we eventually get there.

I will say that the process between VIN and receiving your car is pretty painful. There is a lack of communication/impossible to get in contact with people/getting people to work together to fulfill finances/etc... With that said I never felt like someone didn't care at Tesla. I think they really do care but I think this points to bad business management from higher up in the company. They just weren't ready for this at all levels including call centers/support systems/service centers. They all appeared to be swamped and doing their best but this ramp is nothing but painful for them and the buyers. Please have patience. Once I got the car all of that melted away. I also have mine at the service center getting punch list items fixed and they have bent over backwards for me. They even came and got my car at work and gave me a 100D Model S (brand new with 1k miles on it) as a loaner since I was having trouble getting my car up to north Austin since I live South and it is the last two weeks of my kids school and I am swamped with activities.

Reactions: Dr. J
@dduffey There is more than likely a repair happening on your car. Mine shipped pretty late and I think it was due to paint repairs they tried to do on my rear right quarter panel. I didn't realize they tried to repair it when I picked it up but I had my car ceramic coated at Austin Detailing and he was able to show me evidence that my car was resprayed before it came to Austin.

With that said the Austin service center delivery guys pointed the paint out to me and offered to fix it right there on the spot (I can barely tell it has an issue). They are bending over backwards for me but I would be direct and ask them when you pick up the car if any paint repair/etc... was done to the car at the factory.

I highly recommend getting paint correction done at a good detailing place. They'll see if there are any paint issues that need to be repaired for you. I am really glad I had mine done and it looks amazing now. It will have to go back after it is painted again.