Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Hold Up!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like my car is "not likely going to be ready on the 15th". Damn.

Maybe the 5th delivery date is the charm?! My first car payment is nov. 1. What's the chances of me making a payment before receiving the car?

I wish it was unlikely, but I feel it is likely.

Yes I have been told my vehicle was in Dallas and that the main battery (specifically NOT the 12 volt battery) was dead and needed to be charged. (See my previous post).
According to the Tesla representative (Karla), she has 5 other customers that are also have vehicles in Dallas with dead batteries waiting to be charged. She stated that Dallas has only one mobile charger that is available.
I don't understand how the vehicles were able to be driven from the rail cars but couldn't proceed any farther without a battery charge.
She estimated that it would take 11 days (from the date of our conversation) to recharge the battery and move my vehicle to Austin for delivery.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
No way it's good for these high voltage batteries to be sitting at 0% for so many days.

Wonder what % they ship at and what the heck is up with the battery drain? is it that significant? Can't last a week or two during shipping?

Even if thats the case, couldn't Tesla possibly ship these guys with the batteries both disconnected to maintain SOC and have the delivery center plug them up when they arrive? I guess it would be quite harder to move the cars to/from the train to the truck if that was the case, but if it was possible then the main packs wouldn't go to 0% because of shipping issues.

Just really thinking out loud here I guess.

• Informative
Yes I have been told my vehicle was in Dallas and that the main battery (specifically NOT the 12 volt battery) was dead and needed to be charged. (See my previous post).
According to the Tesla representative (Karla), she has 5 other customers that are also have vehicles in Dallas with dead batteries waiting to be charged. She stated that Dallas has only one mobile charger that is available.
I don't understand how the vehicles were able to be driven from the rail cars but couldn't proceed any farther without a battery charge.
She estimated that it would take 11 days (from the date of our conversation) to recharge the battery and move my vehicle to Austin for delivery.

I know my car was able to be pinged for two weeks after it arrived in #railjail so the battery was fine for quite a while. For the cars that need to go from Alliance to Cedar Springs, they should only need to be charged for about an hour or hour and a half each to get them on the truck and off, assuming they only have a destination charger at the site.

• Informative
One of my questions exactly. The rep said that the main battery was not damaged and if it was they would give me a new vehicle.
Just that sentence alone makes me feel like they either haven't looked specifically at the status of your exact car if that means they physically have no insight or ability to or are too busy to take the time to look.

I mean... no way it's damaged, but if it is we will give you a new one? Then would take another 2-3 months to deliver? The "but if it is" throws me off that they don't really know or haven't looked.

ugh. I'm not that badly delayed yet compared to some -- approaching one month not two like others. The fact that my experience with my IDA has not been good so far, I don't get any updates unless I ask (I can understand this one), combined with nobody giving me any details other than a generic reply of something along the lines that my current delivery date won't make it and it'll be moved again for the 5th time -- especially when I have asked many times about 1) where is the car I paid for already currently located? 2) Why is it delayed and why did it not make the already scheduled date? and 3) when will it move again? --- Oh yeah, and nobody answers their phone. IDA, IDA's manager, or the Dallas delivery center.

I told them today I'd give them one more chance and if it slips for the 6th time I will be filing a BBB complaint due to the lack of information, communication, and no escalation path. I get they are extremely busy and delays happen, but s***, transparency and communication would go a long way here for all of us.

Reactions: HnyBaked
One of my questions exactly. The rep said that the main battery was not damaged and if it was they would give me a new vehicle.

I mean... no way it's damaged, but if it is we will give you a new one? Then would take another 2-3 months to deliver? The "but if it is" throws me off that they don't really know or haven't looked.

They would probably just replace the battery.

That is really ODD, Pier 80 is a pier which handles autos transported via ship. I would assume most likely in-bound import vehicles. Unlike the Richmond terminal, there are no associated rail auto-transport facilities close by.
View attachment 334496
While I guess Tesla could be looking for big empty lots to stage vehicles from, driving 30 miles northwest (as the crow flys) through nasty SF traffic just to find an empty lot makes little sense.
View attachment 334502
Could foretell a fate (i.e. wait) worse than an OKC rail terminal.
Yeah, rluciano's car may end up on a slow boat. But they're not even shippipng out of North America yet! ?!?! Through the Panama Canal to Houston?

Or maybe your car has been accidentally diverted to China.

Probably not though.

Last edited:
Yeah, I misunderstood you. A low traction battery makes perfect sense with these vehicles sitting for weeks. Mine will have left the factory almost exactly a month before it's scheduled arrive here.

So, after being left unplugged for long enough, Tesla batteries go into a special "safety" state, where they use less of the energy maintaining the thermal range than they normally do; they still keep the battery in a "no damage" temperature range, but they allow it to enter a "can't charge quickly, can't drive quickly" state. The battery then has to be trickle-charged for a long time to restore full operations. I wouldn't worry about damage, but that is why these are going to undergo a long charging process; they don't want you Supercharging it or running around at highway speeds until it's been brought back to a normal state.

• Informative
Reactions: ℬête Noire
It's the difference between a rail shipment and truck shipment. I'm sure Tesla increased rail shipments to save money but it doesn't seem like they planned for the deluge.
Apparently Tesla didn't hire anyone to pick up the cars from the railyard after the train delivered them, which is whacked. I mean, it's very odd -- BNSF seems to be efficiently transporting the cars to Texas and *then* they sit. I've never seen anything like it.

Railroads actually charge fees called "demurrage", "detention", and "storage" if the customer doesn't pick up their delivery promptly, so BNSF is charging Tesla money to let the cars sit at the destination railyard.

Maybe after Tesla initially failed to pick the cars up on time, Tesla HQ also failed to provide budget to the local service center to pay for the storage fees?

Last edited:
My IDA told me the hold up with my car in the lot was a combination of the trucking company not having enough trucks

So this is why they can't truck the cars across town from the railyard to Cedar Springs in a reasonable amount of time -- not enough trucks. Wow.

The Tesla Semi can't come fast enough I guess.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
Yeah, one of the nicer aspects of the Tesla design -- a battery swap is a quick operation, so they wouldn't replace the car.
True, but I feel like the issue would be tough to diagnose, like there would be degradation to begin with and it could be hard to prove.

Even if that wasn't the case, I'd image the lead time on a new battery pack would take a while.

Anyways, all this is hypothetical speculation. No clue really what would happen, it's probably fine given that it would really only be a few weeks at most. Unless you are @SleepingLesson

So, after being left unplugged for long enough, Tesla batteries go into a special "safety" state, where they use less of the energy maintaining the thermal range than they normally do; they still keep the battery in a "no damage" temperature range, but they allow it to enter a "can't charge quickly, can't drive quickly" state. The battery then has to be trickle-charged for a long time to restore full operations. I wouldn't worry about damage, but that is why these are going to undergo a long charging process; they don't want you Supercharging it or running around at highway speeds until it's been brought back to a normal state.
Hey, that's cool, did not know that.

I imagine it was a short read. I'm summarizing here but I think the entire release notes said, "Bug fixes and improvements."

As a software guy myself, I understand how release notes (and what goes in them) can be political sometimes. But that's short. Even by conservative standards.
Right? I'm a software girl and was like.....well that is clearly just the note for the very last increment. That was a whole lot of updating for only "bug fixes" :) It went without a hitch though, and car is still awesome! I did get some new features I think, notably the walk away lock sound. Fog light indicator moved to the upper left corner. Not sure I noticed much else.

No delivery for me today, pushed out another week to the 21st.

Is anyone else getting the story that the car battey is dead in #railjail and they are working to charge it because it can't be moved unless its charged?
Yep, that's what I was told before mine actually got moved to Cedar Springs. Except mine was 12v battery dead, replaced on site before the car could be moved.

So this is why they can't truck the cars across town from the railyard to Cedar Springs in a reasonable amount of time -- not enough trucks. Wow.

The Tesla Semi can't come fast enough I guess.

Actually is probably a driver shortage. My business is served by a distributor out of Dallas and they cannot hire enough CDL drivers in Dallas, there is a huge shortage. Tesla of course probably did not want to stock up on drivers and transport until they had production, now they are at the back of the line when it comes to delivery service.