Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Plates & Registration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my Model Y delivered in March. I have two 30-day temp tags. I have the vehicle inspection (glovebox) and have received the other paperwork (MVPA, Cert of Origin, Application for Title, Odo, Trade Statement). The tax assessor office is currently closed due to COVID, so I know I have 60 days after the office opens to get the registration completed and plates put on the vehicle.
Sounds like I just need to wait for the tax assessor's office to open, then take these papers with my tax payment to obtain registration and plates. Is that correct, or am I missing another step somewhere? Anyone know this can be done online, or is a trip to the tax assessor office the only way to get all this done?

AWESOME. Thank you. I'll dial them up now.
I live in TX too and plan to get a model Y when the standard range version is eventually released. I’d appreciate any details about your process, or links to others who’ve purchased a new Tesla from TX.

For example, in terms of the sales tax it sounds like that amount is not included in the purchase price you paid to Tesla, is that correct? So you will be writing a check for about 6.25% of the price of the car? Do you mind asking whether you have financing and, if so, is there anyway that your financing is covering both the purchase price of the car and the taxes? Or are you just paying for taxes out of pocket? Similarly, is the $1200 destination fee covered by financing (if you have it) or does that have to be paid out of pocket. I’m just trying to get a better sense of what could be included as part of my out-of-pocket expenses (e.g., downpayment) and what financing tends to cover for a Tesla in TX.

Sorry, lots of questions. But I figure you’ve got to be one of the most recent Tesla purchasers in TX so any help/advice I’d greatly appreciate. Thanks! And congratulations!

For Texas:
The destination fee can be financed, and will be added to you MVPA as things finalize.
Taxes are separate, cannot be added to financing, and will be paid by you when you go to register the vehicle. The way that Tesla must now perform its operations requires the car to be paid for before delivery. This is nothing to worry about, as anything minor will be fixed by the SC after delivery, you have 7 days to return the vehicle no questions asked for a complete refund, and basically you have a 100 miles (from what I've been told, haven't seen that documented anywhere) to get everything documented and into the queue for a fix.
That's what we did, and it all worked out so far without a real hitch.
Good luck!

Reactions: Jefferson5436
We’re just waiting on plates and stickers for my wife’s Y now. Did everything via phone and drop off at WILCO Tax Office in Georgetown. They even called us back with details, vice us having to pursue them, concerning some credits based on a couple specific California fees we weren’t actually on the hook for. So it is possible...

ß

Last edited:
I got my car on 6/20 and the paper work on 7/3. Anyone in the Houston area that has managed to get their registration in the past few weeks? Any insight on the process. I'll be calling the office today and trying to figure it out.

I got my car on 6/20 and the paper work on 7/3. Anyone in the Houston area that has managed to get their registration in the past few weeks? Any insight on the process. I'll be calling the office today and trying to figure it out.
Im in the same boat, except I picked up my car on March 9th-ish. Still rocking the paper plates until the Harris County tax office opens. I'm guessing December at this rate.

Im in the same boat, except I picked up my car on March 9th-ish. Still rocking the paper plates until the Harris County tax office opens. I'm guessing December at this rate.
I'm still needing to call them. I had some landscapers cut my cable line and I've been off line as a result. I've had no time to try to call the main number and find out what is going on. I have until August 5th on my paper tags but that time will fly.

Did your paperwork come by FedEx? I'm still waiting....Yesterday I called the tax office in Montgomery County (My home County), very nice person on the phone took all my information and gave me my total to pay once the paperwork comes in. Even with transferring my personalized plates. Hoping for a smooth transaction when it does arrive. I am hoping for this week, as I plan on leaving on a 1,500 mile road trip Saturday. And I also found my inspection paperwork in the glove box.

Did your paperwork come by FedEx? I'm still waiting....Yesterday I called the tax office in Montgomery County (My home County), very nice person on the phone took all my information and gave me my total to pay once the paperwork comes in. Even with transferring my personalized plates. Hoping for a smooth transaction when it does arrive. I am hoping for this week, as I plan on leaving on a 1,500 mile road trip Saturday. And I also found my inspection paperwork in the glove box.
The paperwork comes by FedEx. It usually takes nine or ten days.

Yes, I got it 13 days after delivery. My work has been so busy I haven’t had time to try calling the Harris County tax office. Hoping to do that tomorrow.