Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Supercharger Locations (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry I stirred the pot with the poorly researched humor

- anyhow, I am still making my trip down to Austin (from McKinney) this Friday (the 6th) with the intent plan to stop at the Domain for a few hours and then to Bastrop/San Marcos.

At the minimum, I will be taking some "finishing up" pictures of the Waco location and at the maximum, the power could potentially be on and I will see what one unit pulling unabated from a 2000 amp feed looks like on the display. It would be really nice if this was the situation, as it would be a quick splash-and-dash for ten minutes and then the rest of the way.

RIP range anxiety.

:)

I'm thrilled that Amarillo is on the map for 2014, not that it does me much good for me since I live here. I'd be happy to be on the lookout for any SC activity here for the rest of the group.

What should I be looking for? Can I ask the city departments that does construction or permits to notify me if a permit is issued?

FWIW, once the I-40 buildout starts I'll be happy to take a Sunday drive out to Tucumcari, NM or Sayre, OK which look like the most plausible sites for I-40 on each side of Amarillo.

I'm glad Amarillo is on the list! I'm trying to route a way to get to see my sisters in Denver area, so leaving from Houston is getting closer to a reality! I have a friend in Lubbock at Lake Allan Henry, so will charge there, just need to find a place between Waco and Lubbock, Brownwood will be good for me.....see you soon Reddy!

I'm glad Amarillo is on the list! I'm trying to route a way to get to see my sisters in Denver area, so leaving from Houston is getting closer to a reality! I have a friend in Lubbock at Lake Allan Henry, so will charge there, just need to find a place between Waco and Lubbock, Brownwood will be good for me.....see you soon Reddy!

About two years ago, I stumbled across the free municipal RV park in Hamlin. I reported it in recargo; you can find it there. Free 50 amp connections. Sadly, there is nothing to occupy your time in Hamblin.

I also found and reported a similar free municipal RV park in Levelland.

About two years ago, I stumbled across the free municipal RV park in Hamlin. I reported it in recargo; you can find it there. Free 50 amp connections. Sadly, there is nothing to occupy your time in Hamblin.

I also found and reported a similar free municipal RV park in Levelland.

Thanks Mckemie! Hamblin looks good, Levelland a little out of the way, but Free is Free!

just need to find a place between Waco and Lubbock, Brownwood will be good for me.....see you soon Reddy!

I was looking at basically the same route. I do a fair amount of work in Lubbock, but always fly. With Huntsville and Waco, I think just the addition of a SC in Abilene would make the Lubbock trip possible. If I could write it off as a business expense and get mileage reimbursement from my clients, it would quickly accelerate my Model S plans. Not sure if I would really want to make that drive regularly though.

Back in July I stopped and talked to a manager at Buc-ees, in Madisonville (just north of Huntsville) who advised they will be expanding the store.....and..... confirmed they will be getting SC's soon. Permits were complete and all. She advised they were shooting for end of Sept. to be up and running. Expansion of Buc-ees should be complete by the holiday season.

I was looking at basically the same route. I do a fair amount of work in Lubbock, but always fly. With Huntsville and Waco, I think just the addition of a SC in Abilene would make the Lubbock trip possible. If I could write it off as a business expense and get mileage reimbursement from my clients, it would quickly accelerate my Model S plans. Not sure if I would really want to make that drive regularly though.

Dreamer & Kalik,

I don't know if you caught my blog post about my Amarillo to Austin road trip .

It looks like Sweetwater is on tap for a 2015 SC. However even with an 85, I can tell you that you won't be able to do Sweetwater to Amarillo on 1 charge, you'll need to stop somewhere along the way. Sweetwater to Lubbock would be easy.

For 2014 your supercharger route to Denver would be through Amarillo, Tucumcari, then possibly Las Vegas, NM then Trinidad, CO. By 2015 we should have Childress and Wichita Falls on line to complete the route to DFW and Houston.

Back in July I stopped and talked to a manager at Buc-ees, in Madisonville (just north of Huntsville) who advised they will be expanding the store.....and..... confirmed they will be getting SC's soon. Permits were complete and all. She advised they were shooting for end of Sept. to be up and running. Expansion of Buc-ees should be complete by the holiday season.

Thanks for the heads up!

This makes some sense.
No one has actually confirmed location of SC @ Huntsville/Madisonville (the last unknown location of the current FIVE SC for Texas), there were some earlier pics of some clearing and demolition construction in Madisonville near Buc-cees.

While I do believe the Contractor already has required permits in hand, I would be (pleasantly) surprised if they will be able to be completed by end of Sept.
Primarily because they already have two OTHER locations simultaneously underway @ Bellmead (Waco) and Columbus, and my understanding is the same Contractor group will be moving on to start work on Corsicana and Madisonville/Huntsville.

But maybe they have already been busy doing work and nobody put two and two together until NOW.

Dreamer & Kalik,

I don't know if you caught my blog post about my Amarillo to Austin road trip .

It looks like Sweetwater is on tap for a 2015 SC. However even with an 85, I can tell you that you won't be able to do Sweetwater to Amarillo on 1 charge, you'll need to stop somewhere along the way. Sweetwater to Lubbock would be easy.

For 2014 your supercharger route to Denver would be through Amarillo, Tucumcari, then possibly Las Vegas, NM then Trinidad, CO. By 2015 we should have Childress and Wichita Falls on line to complete the route to DFW and Houston.

Reddy, I had read your Amarillo/Austin trip....it inspired me, and just read it again so I have been reinspired! My husband thinks I'm nuts, but I told him that I had read someone had made it from the panhandle to Austin with no superchargers. You are a legend! Thanks for sharing!
Eva

If they start putting them in every Buc-ee's....

I am told that Waco will most likely be open in the next 7-10 days, though there is apparently at least one more approval so there won't be a full confirmation for another 4-5 days. Keep your fingers crossed!

I will be at the Waco (Bellmead) supercharger tomorrow (Friday the 6th) at about 9 am - on my way to Austin / Bastrop. I plan to ask questions, snap glossies, and get a sitrep if I can.

WJ

Here's info:

We are excited to announce our second Supercharger location in Texas. This newest addition to the Tesla Supercharger network will open Tuesday, September 10th in Waco, TX. To commemorate this important milestone for Tesla and our Texas community, we would like to invite you, your family and your friends to attend the ribbon cutting ceremony and celebrate with us.

When:
Tuesday, September 10th at 10:00am

Where:
Waco Supercharger
701 N I-35
Bellmead, Texas 76705
(next to Collin Street Bakery)

Details:
We will also offer test rides during the event so please feel free to bring anyone that is interested in learning more about Model S and our Supercharging network.

@sublimaze This is getting very interesting for you tomorrow. IMHO, the email wouldn't go out until all of the approvals are in place. I would guess this means they are just finishing up cosmetics before flipping the switch. I would still put the odds at below 20% that you will be able to charge, but I hope I'm wrong.

Incidentally, the San Marcos email was 8/14, so if 8/17 was the date of the first power at San Marcos, that is not super promising. Tantalizing though.

Looking forward to the report. IF they do have power, don't forget to take a picture of your screen as soon as you ramp up to speed.

Waco.JPG

Last edited: