Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Supercharger Locations (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you have a 60 or 85?
60 (see my signature block, below)

How empty was your battery before charging?
20 miles

Did you share the Supercharger with any other cars?
Yes, but I think they were done charging. The event ended around 10:45 and I started charging around 11:25. My reading was taken at 11:38 and was the first of several. It was the highest reading.

Which charging cable did you use? (They are labeled 1A/B, 2A/B, and 3.)
I didn't notice, but it was the middle one on the side with three in a row.

What was the temperature outside?
It was pretty warm, mid to upper 90s I'd say. edit: screen shot says 94.

Just trying to understand what effects max supercharger power.

Thanks for the reply!
Once we get the 5.0 release we should check again.

John

Last edited:
P85 as noted in my signature.
When I first pulled in and took this screen shot there was a car charging in the slot diagonal to me. (Excuse the touchscreen fingerprints...I don't have the 5.0 update with the screen cleaning mode. :smile:)

20130823_131204.jpg

20130823_132450.jpg

I don't think your numbering system is accurate, but nevertheless, you can see which charger I used.
I started with 87 miles. Ambient temperature was 95 degrees.

P85 as noted in my signature.

View attachment 29307

I don't think your numbering system is accurate, but nevertheless, you can see which charger I used.

The numbering system comes from labels stuck to each cable rack. In your picture you can barely see the black letters stuck to the side of the two units in back. The three units in front have their labels facing away from the camera. From left to right the units are numbered: 1B, 2B, 2A, 3A, & 1A. The actual chargers are inside the wood enclosed area to the right in your picture. They are numbered from right to left: 1, 2, & 3. Each charger is connected to two racks except #3 which only has one.

From what I am seeing, 60kWh cars max out at 70kW and 85kW cars max out at about 90kW. I wonder how that will change after 5.0 comes out and 120kW charging is enabled.

Thanks for the responses!

Didn't Expect this // Look what missive passed into my email

(I was the intended recipeint of this email)

So I asked (about five days ago) about my trip to Bastrop (from McKinney) to [email protected]. I had forgotten that I had sent a repeat query and I am taking this trip on Sept 6th. Here is what I got back:

William,
The Waco Supercharger is on track to open sometime very close to your trip, likely sometime during the week or weekend surrounding 9/10. Again, lots of moving targets make this date hard to pinpoint exactly so please understand that this is not a promise or hard date.

Hope that helps your planning efforts; you’ll certainly be one of the first to use the Waco stations if it aligns well with your travel plans.
The Tesla Supercharger Team

I am still going to plan my two hour charge at the Domain so that I can make the meeting and then on to San Marcos. But this email - which is direct from Tesla - gives firm testament that somewhere, out there, somehow, are five (plus or minus) concrete pads with boatloads of heavy cable firmly attached to them --- and we can't find them.

(I was the intended recipeint of this email)

So I asked (about five days ago) about my trip to Bastrop (from McKinney) to [email protected]. I had forgotten that I had sent a repeat query and I am taking this trip on Sept 6th. Here is what I got back:

William,
The Waco Supercharger is on track to open sometime very close to your trip, likely sometime during the week or weekend surrounding 9/10. Again, lots of moving targets make this date hard to pinpoint exactly so please understand that this is not a promise or hard date.

Hope that helps your planning efforts; you’ll certainly be one of the first to use the Waco stations if it aligns well with your travel plans.
The Tesla Supercharger Team

I am still going to plan my two hour charge at the Domain so that I can make the meeting and then on to San Marcos. But this email - which is direct from Tesla - gives firm testament that somewhere, out there, somehow, are five (plus or minus) concrete pads with boatloads of heavy cable firmly attached to them --- and we can't find them.

Can you just email them and ask them where exactly they will be located in Waco??

Think it's a fair question, as you might need to know where to stop on your trip :cool:

Can you just email them and ask them where exactly they will be located in Waco??

Think it's a fair question, as you might need to know where to stop on your trip :cool:

I'm thinking they don't give out the addresses until right before the opening because they don't want a bunch of Tesla owners (or worse, anti-Tesla hecklers) pestering the installers. (I know most won't but there's always an exception).

I'm thinking they don't give out the addresses until right before the opening because they don't want a bunch of Tesla owners (or worse, anti-Tesla hecklers) pestering the installers. (I know most won't but there's always an exception).
I look at it differently. As a company trying to get more EV users, I would want to put out as much press as possible regarding the superchargers, as that's a big aspect of their long term vision. Just publish the locations. Great PR and make your owners happy. Not a big deal to me.

Last edited:

I'm totally with Jerry's observation on this.
Most of the dangers around a working and active construction site are very REAL.
People can get injured, property gets damaged, property and equipment gets stolen (serious problem in the more rural areas with minimal security and police forces).
Sometimes even worse things happen...

Casual observers and onlookers should/would probably NOT be encouraged to be near the construction sites, for Safety, Insurance purposes, OSHA regulations (safety goggles, hard hats, safety footwear, safety vests), general annoyance keeping the General Contractor from doing their scheduled work and maintaining (or accelerating) their Construction Schedule.
(Have you actually COUNTED many new Supercharger Stations have yet to be built by September 21? Then December 21?)
Holy Snipes!
There is a LOT of work still to be accomplished on both the immediate and distant Horizons.

Take this to the Bank: When TM decides it wants to let people know about a NEW ACTIVE and OPEN Supercharger Station, they will let you/us know.
They drew and posted the maps, they are responsible for the infrequent Press Releases, and the degree of secrecy.
Yes, it might be a game of cat and mouse, but in this case the cat knows a lot about the immediate game, and the bigger end game (their vision).
We are just (over)reacting to whatever whiff of Supercharger Scent we detect.
Might as well just relax until then.

Last edited:
I'm totally with Jerry's observation on this.
Most of the dangers around a working and active construction site are very REAL.
People can get injured, property gets damaged, property and equipment gets stolen (serious problem in the more rural areas with minimal security and police forces).
Sometimes even worse things happen...

Casual observers and onlookers should/would probably NOT be encouraged to be near the construction sites, for Safety, Insurance purposes, OSHA regulations (safety goggles, hard hats, safety footwear, safety vests), general annoyance keeping the General Contractor from doing their scheduled work and maintaining (or accelerating) their Construction Schedule.
(Have you actually COUNTED many new Supercharger Stations have yet to be built by September 21? Then December 21?)
Holy Snipes!

No different than any other construction site--we are all big boys and girls. Do you go play on other construction sites--no. We are not going to play on them or use them. They should be fenced anyways. Tesla please get to publishing those locations and dates (at least for those of us who can handle ourselves).

FWIW Tesla has updated the map again. The current error is that San Marcos does not show up on the Today map (though it is still listed on the page as active). Summer now shows "Waco" and "Huntsville" as grey. Fall is attached and shows "Waco" and "Huntsville" as red with Columbus and Hillsboro as Grey. We are back to SIX by Winter 2013. As an aside, the dots still appear to be in the original locations over Madisonville and Temple.

The news here is that it does look like I-35 will have good coverage from the Red River to San Antonio for the 60's. It also likely takes the Czech Stop dream off the table.

Andy
Super Charger Map Winter 2013.JPG

I look at it differently. As a company trying to get more EV users, I would want to put out as much press as possible regarding the superchargers, as that's a big aspect of their long term vision. Just publish the locations. Great PR and make your owners happy. Not a big deal to me.

For it not being a big deal to you, you sure seem to be making an issue of it in several posts. There will be a supercharger in Waco to enable easy travel between Austin and Dallas. Tesla will tell us the exact location by the time it's available for use, both with an announcement and a pin on the map display. Why is it so important to you to know the exact location now rather than when it's about to open? You don't even own a Tesla. Yes some of us have fun doing a scavenger hunt for SC locations (I posted the first pictures of San Marcos) but it is just for fun. Let's keep it in perspective. Unless knowing which parking lot in Waco will host the SC will affect your decision to order a car, chill out.

For it not being a big deal to you, you sure seem to be making an issue of it in several posts. There will be a supercharger in Waco to enable easy travel between Austin and Dallas. Tesla will tell us the exact location by the time it's available for use, both with an announcement and a pin on the map display. Why is it so important to you to know the exact location now rather than when it's about to open? You don't even own a Tesla. Yes some of us have fun doing a scavenger hunt for SC locations (I posted the first pictures of San Marcos) but it is just for fun. Let's keep it in perspective. Unless knowing which parking lot in Waco will host the SC will affect your decision to order a car, chill out.

Glad you clarified all of that for me--thanks. I'll bite my tongue on what I really think about it :rolleyes:

To the rest of the nice Austin owners, I'm looking forward to ordering one Friday :biggrin:.

Last edited:
FWIW Tesla has updated the map again. The current error is that San Marcos does not show up on the Today map (though it is still listed on the page as active). Summer now shows "Waco" and "Huntsville" as grey. Fall is attached and shows "Waco" and "Huntsville" as red with Columbus and Hillsboro as Grey. We are back to SIX by Winter 2013. As an aside, the dots still appear to be in the original locations over Madisonville and Temple.

The news here is that it does look like I-35 will have good coverage from the Red River to San Antonio for the 60's. It also likely takes the Czech Stop dream off the table.

AndyView attachment 29405

What are you looking at? The only dot between Dallas and Austin I ever see is Hillsboro (or thereabouts). I've reloaded the page multiple times. I don't see another dot near Waco (and I really want to).
Screen Shot 2013-08-28 at 5.26.30 PM.png

What are you looking at? The only dot between Dallas and Austin I ever see is Hillsboro (or thereabouts). I've reloaded the page multiple times. I don't see another dot near Waco (and I really want to).
It has reverted to 5 stations again. Sigh. The screen grab posted yesterday was from about half an hour before the post. As I described, the Today map showed nothing in Texas. Summer 2013 showed San Marcos red with Temple and Madisonville dots grey. Fall as pictured, and winter with six red dots.

Andy

Thread shift:

Thoughts about having one in Texarkana? I have asked them about this with no response. If I want to go back "home" (Maryland) I really would like to make the straight shot through Tennessee rather than try to shoot through OKC or down through Georgia. Anyone else feel strongly about this?

Thread shift:

Thoughts about having one in Texarkana? I have asked them about this with no response. If I want to go back "home" (Maryland) I really would like to make the straight shot through Tennessee rather than try to shoot through OKC or down through Georgia. Anyone else feel strongly about this?

I do. Very much so. Mt. Pleasant or Shreveport would be good. An old map showed Shreveport. Texakana should quality as a place where local Tesla owners would not monopolize a SC. I need to go to Texarkana once or twice a year. Ancestral home. I can get from Huntsville or Madisonville to Texarkana but wouldn't be able to get back without finding a charge in Texarkana. And, there is essentially no public charging in Texarkana.