TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Texas Supercharger Locations

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Babylonfive, Sep 24, 2012.

1. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Whoever is going to San Marcos this weekend to look for the supercharger, make sure to look behind the outlet mall.

2. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

I understand this is not the right topic...

Effects, as in battery degradation. I am pretty sure the charging rate will decrease as the battery temp rises, but that is all short term impacts until cooler temps come back. But how well the battery temp is maintained when the battery gets a double whammy of increasing internal heat and high ambient heat during supercharging on a hot day ?

The Model S battery is liquid cooled Is a good thing, but does it do a good job of maintaining the temp at a level that is not detrimental to the battery throughout the summer under various harsh conditions ?

The problem is you will not know how much the battery has degraded until you go through a hot summer and throw in a couple of supercharging into the mix.

Believe me the Leaf community went through the heights of believing what Nissan said when they rolled out the leaf, then onto a state of denial when the first suspicions of battery degradation came out, and then pretty angry and upset when it became very clear that how poorly the battery holds during AZ and TX summers.

Model S is liquid cooled, which us a good thing but still you never know. Even Tesla may not know.

3. schueppert

schueppert Member

Tesls monitors battery temperature during charging. If the combination of high charge rate and high air temp causes the battery temperature to move above spec, I would assume they back off on the charge rate to stay within spec. So yes, you might charge a little slower on a really hot day but I doubt you will do any lasting damage.

I think we all understand we are, to some extent, beta testers. But we are putting our faith in a company with a proven ability to make good engineering decisions.

4. mckemie

mckemie Member

Because of our sales tax holiday, this is a very poor time to be out snooping around. Seems like I read that some of the exits around the outlet malls are to be closed this weekend. Else, I would be out looking. I did go from north San Marcos into Austin this morning. Kept my eyes peeled, saw nothing. Wish I had had the time to drive the frontage roads. I could try to take a look tomorrow if anyone has specific suggestions not close to the outlet malls.

5. TexasEV

No photos yet? OK here's mine:

Attached Files:

6. leafarmer

leafarmer Member

GPS coordinates are 29.827661,-97.97966

7. sublimaze1

sublimaze1 8Dec2012 / Leeroy Jenkins

@TexasEV

Is that San Marcos?

8. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

That's kind of odd. I thought Superchargers were always deployed in pairs, but there seem to be only five rather than six.

9. leafarmer

leafarmer Member

Yes -- San Marcos. The guy in the photo volunteered that they should be open "in a couple days".

10. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Based on leafarmer's GPS.

3939 Interstate 35

San Marcos, TX 78666 ‎ 0.1 mi N

11. sublimaze1

sublimaze1 8Dec2012 / Leeroy Jenkins

12. leafarmer

leafarmer Member

Yep -- that's it. There are five chargers in the parking lot behind the outlet malls. The traffic today was insane -- it took 20 minutes just to get from I35 into the mall. Hopefully that isn't normal.

13. TexasEV

This is sales tax-free weekend, so more crowded than usual for back to school shopping. Just don't plan on a quick stop there on your way home after Thanksgiving. Back lot has the advantage of being less likely to get ICE'd but it does take time to get there stopping for all the cross-traffic between this mall and Tanger next door. Or does someone know a shortcut?

14. The Fury

The Fury Member

Yay.. Visual proof!!

15. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

Very cool, as a former Austin resident (who travelled to SA for Spurs games quite often), I'm jealous! Lots of shopping obviously, but is there a lot of choices to eat nearby? I know there were some, but they were on the other side of the outlets...So, that would be a bit of a walk. Or are these close to the restaurants?

16. purplewalt

purplewalt Active Member

+1
    August in Texas is still Summer 2013 in my book, so GREAT JOB TESLA!
    We absolutely appreciate all the planning, money, time and efforts to get these installed.

I wonder if there will be a formal notification (from Tesla) as to the actual time of the activation and opening ceremony?

17. ZestyChicken

ZestyChicken Member

240 miles from my house. Don't think I could make it with A/C on unless I drove dangerously slow (i.e. 5 miles below the speed limit)

18. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

#238 dsm363, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
    You could stop in Austin at the Domain store or to one of the slow public chargers downtown for an hour to give yourself a buffer until the Supercharger between Austin and Dallas is built.

19. ZestyChicken

ZestyChicken Member

I'll just wait until the Temple site is up.

20. Tyl

Tyl Member

#240 Tyl, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
    Great to see the photos! We've (Tesla supercharging sleuths) have been scouring the internet looking for new TSCS installations in work ...... and had only found the Woodburn OR TSCS installation underway. Seeing San Marcos TX almost done is good news... I was wondering why we had no visual confirmation prior to today? Nevertheless... thanks again for the pictures and site information... it gives me confidence that the TSCS network is making progress. Do you have any other information of TSCS's that are under construction?

Tanger Outlet Center thumbnail.png [​IMG]

4015 N Interstate 35 Frontage Rd, San Marcos, TX ‎