Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Text message model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No such interface right now - there is no integration yet with carplay or android auto, which would be nice I think and could flow well with the Apple-isque UI of the vehicle, but it may be a safety consideration though, which is why they have intentionally left it off for now.

Reactions: APotatoGod
No such interface right now - there is no integration yet with carplay or android auto, which would be nice I think and could flow well with the Apple-isque UI of the vehicle, but it may be a safety consideration though, which is why they have intentionally left it off for now.

What would be the safety consideration, considering that it’s available from just about every other manufacturer as either a standard or optional feature?

I’ll definitely miss some of CarPlay’s functionality, which is only getting better with iOS 12 opening up access to additional navigation apps like Google Maps and Waze. With wider adoption there will also likely be a ton more app developers designing for the CarPlay interface. Never mind the Nav solutions, even just having the Spotify and SiriusXM apps available would be great...

What would be the safety consideration, considering that it’s available from just about every other manufacturer as either a standard or optional feature?

I’ll definitely miss some of CarPlay’s functionality, which is only getting better with iOS 12 opening up access to additional navigation apps like Google Maps and Waze. With wider adoption there will also likely be a ton more app developers designing for the CarPlay interface. Never mind the Nav solutions, even just having the Spotify and SiriusXM apps available would be great...

Well.. as much as I, personally, would love to see Carplay integrated into the Model 3, Tesla has been in the news plenty with a lot of undue attention due to some recent autopilot-induced accidents, more than anything due to the misuse (intentional and unintentional) of the autopilot system outside parameters it was designed for, perhaps parameters that are still very hard to define clearly to a customer. It has also caused many design changes like the nag interval going down to 25 seconds recently to be more conservative. Media and Tesla haters are watching every move carefully and preying on these incidents and every little bug is being blown out of proportion.

With all this noise still fresh in the air, if a major new feature like the ability to read text was made available over the interface, it will be another easy target and will be labelled as a safety hazard to hurt the integrity of the company. Until autopilot has reached a much more mature state, and the volume of incidents is statistically under control against the ramping deliveries, adding a highly debated feature like that will likely work against them.

Of course, add to that the fact that they are still scrambling to catch up with the features that were existent on Gen 1 autopilot and it is probably why Tesla has not given this topic any attention.

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: dhrivnak
if a major new feature like the ability to read text was made available over the interface, it will be another easy target and will be labelled as a safety hazard to hurt the integrity of the company.

I am pretty sure the ability to do Text-To-Speech on TXT is actually considered as a safety feature not hazard. Because car manufacturers know that if they don't provide that feature, most people are going to "read" the txt on the tiny screen while driving.

I am pretty sure the ability to do Text-To-Speech on TXT is actually considered as a safety feature not hazard. Because car manufacturers know that if they don't provide that feature, most people are going to "read" the txt on the tiny screen while driving.

Also, with Apple CarPlay (can't speak to Android Auto) you can't actually read anything. If you get a text it'll read it over the car stereo and to compose a text you do so via Siri.

Agreed, but if they "read" the text on the tiny screen of the phone and got into an accident, that is not on Tesla. Carplay and Andriod auto also require, in their current implementation, taking up your whole screen while being physically plugged in to your phone. Teslatap had done an in-depth analysis with several other points worth reading here: CarPlay on Tesla? | TeslaTap

This vaguely reminds me of the whole Copy/Paste debate on the iPhone many years ago.:)

Carplay and Andriod auto also require, in their current implementation, taking up your whole screen while being physically plugged in to your phone.

That's not actually true anymore.

Apple CarPlay FAQ: Everything You Need to Know

That is from a bit over a year ago and mentions:

Given how disorienting juggling two interfaces can be, a number of car companies, such as Volvo for its latest models, now offer CarPlay in a split-screen format, with the car's built-in system on one side and whatever you're using in CarPlay on the other.

Windows Phones pause the audio and then read texts over the Tesla bluetooth connection...
"You've got a text. Would you like me to read it?"
And then after the text is read you get the option to reply. Cortana takes over the whole process. But there is no ability to start a new text, unless like Daniellane is describing with a "hey cortana" that is initiated over the phone microphone.

Not that anyone should switch to the discontinued Windows Phone platform. But it is still interesting.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Dana1
Fair enough. There are some other valid points in the article I linked however. Thanks for sharing - I am all for it.

I looked at the link... I'm not sure if there are any valid points currently?

That article seems to be written from an early 2016 perspective so virtually all the concerns in it either:

Don't apply at all now that we've seen carplay in actual use for a few years...(speculating there's legal risk, when clearly there's not since nearly everyone offers it now- or speculating Apple is going to "insert advertising" which made no sense to begin with since it's basically just putting parts of your phone on the car display)

or

Don't apply to any car made after late 2016 when they switched to the MCU2...and that would include all Model 3s ever (the memory and performance bits for example)

pretty much the only thing on their list that remains at all a 'real' concern in 2018 would be there's a licensing fee... but given the feature appears on much cheaper cars than anything Tesla sells that doesn't seem like it's much impediment either.

I guess there is no update on this feature? I was blown away when I picked up my 3 and found no integration. Didn't even think to ask.... My Honda minivan from years ago could alert and read my messages. This is disappointing considering what else this car does. I haven't owned a car since 2012 that doesn't don't this.