Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TFL checks out the new Silverado EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The range is impressive. That level sets a new bar, which is better for towing and long distance highway driving. I also like that the Ultium platform has been "future proofed", and allows failed battery sections to be replaced, at a lower cost, instead of the entire battery. I also really like the interior and large bed. The downside is the cost. It is really hard to justify it financially verses a regular WT.

For a Work Truck it is expensive. 70K for a basic vinyl interior I think the upscale one is over 100K I don't care for the 24 inch rims on the upscale version. I did notice that these Trucks are 8 lug wheels. Tires are going to be pricy. My neighbor is interested in it but he also wants to put a camper in the bed.

Last edited:
another waste of battery 200+ kwh just to brag about range. One battery could get 3 Bolts with $30+k price=$90k. That's how GM loses money.
A Bolt can't to truck things; those are completely different. There will also be two or three other options of the same WT trim available, with a smaller battery with less range. The higher option is just releasing first. But yes for now, for the cost, it looks like truck buyers like myself may be better off with a gas or hybrid engine.

Wait, remember this is about the move to any EV, although we like Tesla rhe best

There are some vehicle buyers that will only go for what they are use to but now BEV
So this Silverado is fine if it means retiring an old ICE PU

Reactions: bruce4000
for the EV move, we have all kinds of buyers
Tesla/Riv/Luc/Kia/Hyun owners are all early adopters.
The next larger group will be those that want the same vehicle and range, but as an EV and yes it will take large batteries to get this group over.
Escalade, Tahoe, Landcruiser, F150 500 mile version, REV, etc
Its not optimal, but with any large change in society, we need to accommodate all types. Good thing we can.

Reactions: GSP
Think every manuf is going after the adv efficient batteries, such as M3P, so the real difference will be with vehicle design for lowest drag coefficient making the battery size/range ratio optimal.
Some of these vehicles needing a 200kw battery are holding onto the old look and design hindering the drag coefficient, such as rhe Escalade. But these vehicles that sacrifice drag for look are for the main stream buyers.

The Model Y is an design for low drag and the EV9 is a design for middle ground.
The optimal design is for another type of buyer.

Buyers are:
Lowest drag/design for buyer X/MY/S/3, Ioniq6
Middle drag/design for buyer Y/EV9/XE9
Higher drag/design for buyer Z Escalade/Hummer

All fascinating

Bigger Battery, more money to charge but you get 400+ miles of range…..

Bigger battery for range or a more efficient battery for range…. That is the question
Yup, and that goes back to individual use case. Then there's the added cost for the larger battery. If not towing anything, I'd be perfectly okay with a 240 mile highway range at 70mph. Once you starting towing any serious distance, that's where the big battery is needed, if you want to attempt it with an EV.

Reactions: TessP100D
Did you guys see Frazads CT pricing analysis, it is brillant and would be highly disruptive.
All before any tax credits.

Range/Trim(Motor Count)/Cost$

350/2xM/$69K
500/2xM/$79K can get as low as $59K with highest credits, insane, towing 14K range 350
600/3xM/$99K

Reactions: bruce4000
Pricing vs capability, very compelling
Tapping non traditional 4x4 buyers that might have looked at a wrangler or bronco, will look at a CT for the amazing capability for the given cost
Especially with the IRA credits factored in

• Disagree
Reactions: afadeev
Pricing vs capability, very compelling
Tapping non traditional 4x4 buyers that might have looked at a wrangler or bronco, will look at a CT for the amazing capability for the given cost
Especially with the IRA credits factored in

So now CT is going after Wranglers and Bronco buyers in addition to F-150, Silverado, and Ram buyers…….. lmao…..

Where are the towing videos? Anyone?

The biggest news this week isn’t the range, battery capacity, towing capabilities, cost, no it’s…….. it got a rear light bar smh