Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TFL checks out the new Silverado EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Towing a camper on the highway will be more like a 70% range reduction. A 400 mile rated truck will have ~100 real world miles.

I am curious as to what trailer results in a 70% reduction. I tow a trailer on the highway, and 50% reduction from rated range (in bad weather) is the worst I have seen. I follow towing threads in these forums as well as Rivian forums, and I can't recall anyone seeing a 70% range reduction. But I'm sure it's possible if you tow something large enough...

Agreed that more infrastructure will make it matter less!

Reactions: DblOSmith
I am curious as to what trailer results in a 70% reduction. I tow a trailer on the highway, and 50% reduction from rated range (in bad weather) is the worst I have seen. I follow towing threads in these forums as well as Rivian forums, and I can't recall anyone seeing a 70% range reduction. But I'm sure it's possible if you tow something large enough...

Almost any full sized camper. It isn’t the weight it is the air drag. I worked it out a while ago figuring out the increases wh/mi using data from my camper+LX570 into 10-15k miles a year. ICEs only see a 40-50% reduction due to how inefficient they are at baseline. With EVs that are getting ~350 wh/mi at baseline more like a 70% hit.

What trailer are you pulling?

Last edited:

70% range reduction

AzRivOs (assuming you meant their post rather than yours) went up 2,000' feet with a 7,000lb trailer in the leg where he got 70% reduction. Sure, that sounds about right. As I said, I am sure there are cases.

Towing an extra 7k lbs up 2,000' should use about 28 miles of range (over and above what's used to move the car and trailer over flat land). They didn't say how long the leg was, so it's hard to say what percentage that accounted for.

Sorry for taking us off-track in this Silverado thread.

every one wants lang ranged because charging infrastructure in much of the US is pathetic. If there were as many Super chargers as gas stations it wouldn’t be an issue. I made the mistake of renting a model Y when we were in Hawaii with the thought I wouldn’t have to charge the entire time. We drove more than I thought and had to wait 3.5 hrs in line at the one SC on Oahu.
You say it's pathetic and then us Hawaii as an example?

It's really good in the Continental US. People want long range to tow, there's no problems with my MS or MY driving long distances. I've never waited even 1 min for a SC on the east coast.

You say it's pathetic and then us Hawaii as an example?

It's really good in the Continental US. People want long range to tow, there's no problems with my MS or MY driving long distances. I've never waited even 1 min for a SC on the east coast.
Hawaii is a pretty good example of high EV density as they have the 2nd most EVs per capita (behind California). More EVs put more pressure on charging infrastructure.