Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thank heavens for the weekly shop..!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've barely driven mine. Got 46 miles on the clock, and it was delivered on the 27th March :(. I still have another EV that is going back tomorrow so have driven that on the odd occasion I've needed to get shopping. Sounds silly I know, but since I've paid up for it until that date I thought I'd better get the full use out of it.

Chomping at the bit to go for a drive though :(

I've got a service appointment on 01/05 so it'll get a run out then.

Reactions: Cogarch and Roy W.
Lockdown is about reducing the rate of virus transmission but not coming to close contact with other people outside your immediate household.
Driving your car from your home and back to your home will not cause virus transmission to others.
I wish government could try to assume that people in general are able to undrestand what is needed in order to reduce/stop transmission rate rather than coming with blanket rules.
It is not rocket science....most people will get it. The people who don't get it, unlikely to get it in any other way other. You see them at supermarkets all the time, wearing gloves as if the virus is can be transferred through skin! And you can see them doing their shopping with their gloves, touching their faces and their mobiles and driving off with their gloves on!

Lockdown is about reducing the rate of virus transmission but not coming to close contact with other people outside your immediate household.
Driving your car from your home and back to your home will not cause virus transmission to others.
I wish government could try to assume that people in general are able to undrestand what is needed in order to reduce/stop transmission rate rather than coming with blanket rules.
It is not rocket science....most people will get it. The people who don't get it, unlikely to get it in any other way other. You see them at supermarkets all the time, wearing gloves as if the virus is can be transferred through skin! And you can see them doing their shopping with their gloves, touching their faces and their mobiles and driving off with their gloves on!
It's not about the traffic, it's about the collisions and the extra strain at the worst possible time on the hospitals from RTCs that will inevitably happen. You may be a carrier, you may infect five NHS staff or Police who tend to you... you'll take up a vital ambulance, a bed, you might even kill someone you infect. Driving is an unnecessary risk at the moment.

I suspect that you will be going out for a walk outside and very probably will be cycling too?
Both of those activity will also carry risks and especially cycling in some ways has more risks of ending in the hospital than a car collision.
Strictly speaking, neither of walking or cycling out side is actually required for exercise purposes.
I am not suggesting driving for 200 miles a day but in my assessment driving to a place an hour away for a exercise of less say 2 hours is perfectly reasonable.
This is also consistent with the recent advice given to the police services.

This is also consistent with the recent advice given to the police services.
Exactly. However there will always be differences of moral interpretation here, as we have a social inhibition (which is inevitably vague and imprecise and driven by guilt and public shaming) that is underpinned by legislation (which is officially driven by the desire for a statistical reduction in demand for emergency services). It's all very messy..

In my case I completed one glorious 40k cycle ride a couple of weeks ago but I am self-conscious about doing it again as the moral climate has shifted (fortunately for me I have a turbo-trainer). Meanwhile as you say we are now apparently fine to drive somewhere else to take a walk

Reactions: Jez_GB
A70 has turned into a race track if you are interested - mostly Sunday Porsche drivers discovering other days of the week and what's that RS brand with the four ʞɔoɔ rings? Hoofing it all times of the day and night and overtaking on the assumption there's nothing coming the other way.
My daily exercise is cycling along this same road - oh the fun.

• Funny
Reactions: Jez_GB and Cogarch
A70 has turned into a race track if you are interested - mostly Sunday Porsche drivers discovering other days of the week and what's that RS brand with the four ʞɔoɔ rings? Hoofing it all times of the day and night and overtaking on the assumption there's nothing coming the other way.
My daily exercise is cycling along this same road - oh the fun.
Easy pickings for unmarked cars then. People should surely realise that they're going to be even more hot on flagrant speeding at times like this.

Reactions: Jez_GB and KennethS
Just had my weekly treat when I am allowed to get behind the wheel of my M3. Only about 5 miles there and back, but such a delight...!

We would normally get our main shopping delivered by Tesco because it's quite a distance. However, Tesco said they would like people who could manage without having to use delivery slots to hold back so that those who most need it most can have a delivery. I now therefore consider it my civic duty to drive the M3 to the supermarket ... can't wait till next week's visit!!

• Funny
Reactions: Jez_GB and Cogarch
With the now much quieter background noise allowing us to hear further, its very obvious and not at all uncommon when someone doesn't hold back. The roads around us are largely empty semi urban/edge of town roads, so the use of WOT is probably because the driver thinks there is little risk in being caught/having an accident. Unfortunately, not all have the driving skills that they think they have. Apologies in advance for the poor quality excuse for local journalism that we suffer these days - Audi overturns after crashing into parked cars in residential road

Not related to us, but also they want to stop people going to the Petrol Stations as there is a greater risk of infected people and the spread due to people touching the Pumps.

The Oil price went into negative yesterday in the US (they were paying you to buy, as they cant store it as there is less demand and too much supply) and so they were saying it could be possible that the price of fuel goes down below £1 a litre - this got me excited for a nano second, then I remembered - I don't need Fuel :)

• Funny
Reactions: Jez_GB
Not related to us, but also they want to stop people going to the Petrol Stations as there is a greater risk of infected people and the spread due to people touching the Pumps.

The Oil price went into negative yesterday in the US (they were paying you to buy, as they cant store it as there is less demand and too much supply) and so they were saying it could be possible that the price of fuel goes down below £1 a litre - this got me excited for a nano second, then I remembered - I don't need Fuel :)
I went to fill up my diesel the other day before putting it into storage (will sell once Covid-19 is done).

£1.49.9 for Premium diesel!!

Granted this was just my local petrol station but I thought the drop in oil prices would have trickled down to them by now? Didn't check the regular diesel price so maybe they think they can maintain an even larger margin?

Put £20 in in the end. Will leave for storage idea for a bit longer.

I read about a group of bikers in Bodmin who are selflessly offering to be a prescription pickup service and to deliver essential shopping to elderly and vulnerable people ... " Please Gran, you must need a prescription today! The sun's shining and the roads are quiet so I could get it to you really quite quickly ... or some milk? or bread? You must need SOMETHING for goodness sake!

I think we all know where they're coming from ;):) !

I'm just going to chime in and say that the ones that are following the rules are the ones that are suffering. The idiots that are congregating at parks/parties are not suddenly going to mature or wisen up just because a rule changes. Things are just going to get tougher/worse before they get better.

Before the lockdown started I too thought it was OK to go out in the car for a drive (I didn't actually, but I was planning to) until I was reminded, as above, that it's not just about keeping a social distance. If you crash or break down, it's contact that otherwise wouldn't have been needed. The problem is the 'only go out for exercise' bit. People are flaunting this all over the place, even by going out for a walk, to then come back and decide it's time to walk the dog. Our neighbours have visitors every day and it's infuriating watching them do it, when I haven't been able to see anyone other than the same one person for 6 weeks now (I'm type 1 diabetic).

Even my 6 monthly annual review, which is very important for my health, has been cancelled. I have other issues that I want to see a doctor about but I feel like I can't make an appointment; a GP waiting room is the last place I want to be.

Reactions: Cogarch