Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

That sux! Blew out my Prius charger.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Gigaron

San Bruno
Supporting Member
Jan 17, 2019
San Francisco
I used the included SAE J1772 adaptor to charge my MY using my Leviton EVB22 Level 2 Home Charging Station. The Tesla charged (very slowly) for about an hour before the fault light on the charger lit up. Now the fault light comes on when I plug it into my Prius like I have done every night for the last 8 years.

Kinda thinking the MY pulled more amps than the Leviton wanted to give. Anyone else try using their Prius charger successfully or unsuccessfully?

The J1772 protocol will reduce the charging current to the lowest maximum supported by both the charging station and the vehicle, so that doesn't seem likely.

What could have happened (speculation) is that the Tesla will draw the full 32A, while the Prius maximum is 16A I believe. So it might be possible that the cabling to the charging station is not rated for 32A, and something went wrong there (e.g. overheating, maybe detected by the charging station). I guess you tried to power cycle the charging station.

How many amps/voltage did the Tesla report while charging?

NOTE: just realised that the charging station is only rated for 16A, so my theory cannot be correct. I've got a 16A 240V J1772 charging cable and that works fine with the Y, charges at 16A.

Last edited:
Reactions: cwerdna
If the OP's Prius was a '12 to '15 Plug-in Prius (what I see pictured), I don't think those guys pull more than about 10 amps at 200ish volts.

I used to sometimes plug those PiPs into L2 EVSEs at work and our supply voltage is only 208 volts (common for commercial power). IIRC, at 208 volts, they only drew about 2.1 kW. 2100 watts / 208 volts = about 10.1 amps.

But yeah, J1772 EVSEs via the duty cycle of their pilot signal (Basics of SAE J1772) tell the attached car, this is how many amps I can supply at most. The attached car is supposed to comply.

The Leviton unit the OP refers to isn't a "charger". It's an EVSE. For J1772 AC charging, the charger is on-board the car: Onboard Charger and planet4ever's diagram at Range issues - Page 2 - My Nissan Leaf Forum.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
Kinda thinking the MY pulled more amps than the Leviton wanted to give. Anyone else try using their Prius charger successfully or unsuccessfully?

The fault lights on chargers have information that you can find out by reading the manual. It will tell you what was the cause and no need to speculate.

Considering that your charging station is 8 years old, you should assume that the fault could be due to age.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
The fault lights on chargers have information that you can find out by reading the manual. It will tell you what was the cause and no need to speculate.

Considering that your charging station is 8 years old, you should assume that the fault could be due to age.

Perhaps age, but funny that it died after attempting to charge my Tesla.

The fault light is either on or off and the manual says that if it is on to call your electrician. No blinking code.

Perhaps age, but funny that it died after attempting to charge my Tesla.

The fault light is either on or off and the manual says that if it is on to call your electrician. No blinking code.

Its funny, but one time is just a coincidence. Gotta break another one to prove it. Your odds are pretty good at 8 years for it to break at any moment.

Maybe something about the Tesla triggered it, but the fault is with the 8 year old charging station most likely.

After a bunch of playing around by the electrician who installed my Prius charger and a trip to the Toyota dealer, it seems that the Tesla J1772 adapter may have had some molding compound or plastic flash on it which got stuck in my Leviton charger plug then was transferred to the Prius charging port.

The Toyota dealer found some "debris" in the charging port and cleaned it out and now all is well. I have not tried the charger/adaptor combo on my MY again and probably won't -- but I will take a close look at it for any other flaws.

Reactions: user212_nr