Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The’ve got the registration number wrong again! What to do!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a previous Model 3 and got told what the registration would be, insured on that basis - car turned up with a completely different plate on it. But the V5 turned up and matched what was on the car.

Picked up my new car at the weekend. V5 just came in post with completely different registration on it…yet VIN is correct. What are my chances of getting correct plates made today in Xmas eve…assume i’m driving around illegally.

I can cope with missing USB’s, even a scratch that my detailer machine polished out as prt of a ceramic treatment….but this!? Jesus f*ck, how do they get this so wrong?

And what do i do? Change the plate to the V5 and call the insurance company and get charged and admin fee.

Grrrrrr!

I would call Tesla to let them know (someone else may have the other wrong plates) and convince them to keep with what is on the V5 if that has the correct VIN as the car you have. Also discuss with insurance company and get some new plates made up - hopefully insurance company won't charge a fee - they don't seem to with cherished plate transfer and I see it a being little different.

Try halfords as I believe they offer the 'Hills' metal plates that are similar to what Tesla supply. Last time I checked on halfords, online wasn't working but in store still was. Hopefully not so strict these days. But you need to double check you will be getting like for like. Otherwise Finished Plates - Hills Numberplates Ltd may be able to advise where to get some on short notice.

I would also assume that you, and probably someone else, is driving around illegally until it is resolved. Especially as you are now aware of the issue.

Most insurance companies do a plate change for free. Mine have done over the years for my private plate.

That is really an inexcusable error. Surely there are more checks than the one person putting the plates on?

I bet there is another owner running around in same colour Tesla as yours with “your plates” on it. At least that will clear ANPR alert.

On the bright side, now is the time to use your car in a bank raid, set a speed record on the M25, illegally park in every Private eye parking lot in the country, etc.

Tesla SCs have facilities to make up number plates. If you have a local one, I would rock up and explain the situation.
Thanks Cardo, great tip. Luckily live not too far from MK SC - picking up plates later!

Tesla systems say that the plate should be what’s on the V5 …but that wasn’t the case last week as their system allocated that reg. Lets hope someone isn’t running around with the plate i’m putting on and they spot on thei v5 it should be different. I don’t want their speeding / parking tickets!

Thanks again, great tip.

Thanks Cardo, great tip. Luckily live not too far from MK SC - picking up plates later!

Tesla systems say that the plate should be what’s on the V5 …but that wasn’t the case last week as their system allocated that reg. Lets hope someone isn’t running around with the plate i’m putting on and they spot on thei v5 it should be different. I don’t want their speeding / parking tickets!

Thanks again, great tip.
The V5 is by definition right since it shows the plate that is assigned to the vehicle on The DVLA's system and that is the legal system of record (and the one the police etc use) so however Tesla managed to screw it up ( its fully automated at DVLA so little chance for them to get it wrong on this one) what is on the V5 is what Tesla assigned to the car on the DVLA's system and is therefore the plate that belongs to that car.

It is quite possible Tesla have put the plate assigned to your car on the V5 on another vehicle at the delivery centre and it is currently driving around with that plate on . Hopefully the owner of that car will also spot the error when they get their V5 and change the plates. In the mean time yes you could be hit with any penalties that they incur but you would have to argue the case that it was a cloned vehicle and not you. Sign up to Teslafi maybe so you have a GPS log of where your vehicle is as evidence if you are worried

The V5 is by definition right since it shows the plate that is assigned to the vehicle on The DVLA's system and that is the legal system of record (and the one the police etc use) so however Tesla managed to screw it up ( its fully automated at DVLA so little chance for them to get it wrong on this one) what is on the V5 is what Tesla assigned to the car on the DVLA's system and is therefore the plate that belongs to that car.

It is quite possible Tesla have put the plate assigned to your car on the V5 on another vehicle at the delivery centre and it is currently driving around with that plate on . Hopefully the owner of that car will also spot the error when they get their V5 and change the plates. In the mean time yes you could be hit with any penalties that they incur but you would have to argue the case that it was a cloned vehicle and not you. Sign up to Teslafi maybe so you have a GPS log of where your vehicle is as evidence if you are worried
Surely Tesla will be tracking down and informing said owner about the error and to bring it in to have correct plates fitted? Would be scandalous if they don’t.

• Funny
Reactions: M3noob