Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The 6 Model S problems and what I'm going to do about it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd be very surprised if this could be added with just a software upgrade. If you're going to put the hardware in to begin with, why not activate it? The hardware is the complex part.

I agree. Only chance of this would be if they weren't able to get it working in time and just left the feature out. Hopefully it can be replaced after the fact with power folding mirrors.

Last edited:
I agree. Other chance of this would be if they weren't able to get it working in time and just left the feature out. Hopefully it can be replaced after the fact with power folding mirrors.

I would be pretty satisfied with a software upgrade via 3G that somehow activates the hardware in the power folding mirrors (if there is any). They could put the control function in the same place as the Pano roof open/close. I.e. just touch the side mirrors of the car on the screen and done....side mirrors open out and then close.

Wow... how satisfied would I be if such were the case!

Here are my suggestions:
1. The car has lights in the back so you will still be able to see. If your eyes are that bad, take the Escalade for your grocery shopping.
2. Sell the Escalade and get something smaller that has flood lights in the back seat for grocery shopping.
3. Wait until hearing a known source of music in a production vehicle for more than 10 minutes before panicking.
4. Wait for the design and pricing of the Opportunity Console to be released before panicking. If still in a panic after it is released, get a custom design that meets your specific needs.
5. Don't let the kids near your back seat with any liquid whatsoever. If that is not a solution, wrap the seats in plastic like my grandpa's Country Squire.
6. Have your wife to put her makeup on before she gets in the car.

Here are my suggestions:
1. The car has lights in the back so you will still be able to see. If your eyes are that bad, take the Escalade for your grocery shopping.
2. Sell the Escalade and get something smaller that has flood lights in the back seat for grocery shopping.
3. Wait until hearing a known source of music in a production vehicle for more than 10 minutes before panicking.
4. Wait for the design and pricing of the Opportunity Console to be released before panicking. If still in a panic after it is released, get a custom design that meets your specific needs.
5. Don't let the kids near your back seat with any liquid whatsoever. If that is not a solution, wrap the seats in plastic like my grandpa's Country Squire.

:biggrin: LOL

I too will have to fold my driver mirror which will be a pain if it's raining. Hard to believe it's wider than my FX. I checked with Tesla and they have never heard of power folding mirrors so I doubt it's coming to us :(. They hinted at aftermarket, but can you really add aftermarket mirrors? If so, would i be wasting money on tech package mirrors?

I am stunned if they truly have never heard of power folding mirrors. It just seems obvious that if you can tilt and adjust the angle of the mirrors (glass) that it is not that hard to include power folding motion to the mirrors. BTW - how do you control the angle of the glass? Via the touchscreen?

Here are my suggestions:

My point is that we shouldn't even be having this discussion in a 100k car. But we are. And you've fallen for it too.

I am stunned if they truly have never heard of power folding mirrors.

I'm sure they have.

It just seems obvious that if you can tilt and adjust the angle of the mirrors (glass) that it is not that hard to include power folding motion to the mirrors. BTW - how do you control the angle of the glass? Via the touchscreen?

No--there are controls on the door armrest (buttons to specify which mirror to adjust, and (as I recall) 4 diamond-pattern buttons (up-down-left-right). Pretty conventional in this area.

I am stunned if they truly have never heard of power folding mirrors. It just seems obvious that if you can tilt and adjust the angle of the mirrors (glass) that it is not that hard to include power folding motion to the mirrors. BTW - how do you control the angle of the glass? Via the touchscreen?

I meant they have not heard of this upgrade coming and told me that the car was pretty much done except some minor quality tweaks and aftermarket console solutions. I doubt we will get new mirrors all of the sudden and if we do then I assume I'd have to buy them after having just paid for electrochromatic ones already...

Neither my husband nor I have owned a car with power folding rear view mirrors, but we have lived in tight garages with large cars (and one with truly enormous mirrors). It really didn't seem like that big of a deal. I would just open the drivers side window and fold that one in. That gave us enough room to pull the car in. I would use the still-extended passenger side mirror to help me pull back out. I assume that power folding mirrors fold them both in simultaneously, and I really found it helpful to still have one out to assist with pulling out.

Not to minimize others' concerns (especially if you have SUCH a narrow garage that you truly need to pull both in - huge pain to fold in passenger side one if you're a solo driver), but it's just not that big of an issue for me.

Neither my husband nor I have owned a car with power folding rear view mirrors, but we have lived in tight garages with large cars (and one with truly enormous mirrors). It really didn't seem like that big of a deal. I would just open the drivers side window and fold that one in. That gave us enough room to pull the car in. I would use the still-extended passenger side mirror to help me pull back out. I assume that power folding mirrors fold them both in simultaneously, and I really found it helpful to still have one out to assist with pulling out.

Not to minimize others' concerns (especially if you have SUCH a narrow garage that you truly need to pull both in - huge pain to fold in passenger side one if you're a solo driver), but it's just not that big of an issue for me.

This is reassuring and helps a lot thanks. It was what I was planning on doing since I don't really have another choice with the Model S. But coming from the Hybrid Escalade that has the power folding mirrors, it just felt like a step backwards.

Maybe you should make this recommendation to Telsa....only one mirror needs to power fold in/out. Not a bad idea lol. :)

It's not a deal breaker, but for 100k I'd like to have the option to at least not have to roll down my window in the rain to pull my mirror in. I'd even pay for it. As of now, tesla tells me this option does not exist.

I believe one of the posters on this forum, Spatters0911, posted in the "Unknown" thread (post #120) on July 1 that he spoke to one of the engineers responsible for the power folding mirrors and he confirmed that it was going to be part of the car, maybe not in the first deliveries but they plan to get them into the car.

Of course, none of this is official, but I am a little more optimistic now.

Unknowns

mIt seems to me that if anyone needs to fold their mirrors in to actually fit into their garage, this car is just too wide for their garage. The mirrors are a huge aide in pulling out from the garage, and with them folded they are of no use, regardless if they electrically fold or not. Tesla just made this car 4 or 5 inches too wide (and heavy), period.

That's my only complaint about the car, and it easily fits in my garage.

Considering battery cost, it is probably a $45k aluminum car plus options.

This is what might be causing some of the problem. The Model S, as someone pointed out before, is like prepaying for fuel for 5 years. Of course it's reasonable to look at two $100k cars and compare them until you realize the Model S has a ~$30,000 'engine' (battery) and aluminum frame. Tesla also likely has higher margins to try and recoup their investment faster and the DOE loan to payback. This doesn't explain why they couldn't have put rear cup holders or small things like this but maybe why they don't compete feature for feature with the S class or even E class on options like ACC, HUD display, park distance control...etc. They also need to get the Model S out the door and bug free if possible. Loading it up with features like that would decrease those chances and can be added in future model years and when battery costs have come down.

mIt seems to me that if anyone needs to fold their mirrors in to actually fit into their garage, this car is just too wide for their garage. The mirrors are a huge aide in pulling out from the garage, and with them folded they are of no use, regardless if they electrically fold or not. Tesla just made this car 4 or 5 inches too wide (and heavy), period.

That's my only complaint about the car, and it easily fits in my garage.

This is a great observation Dr Chill, and in fact when backing out of the single-car garage in the Hybrid Escalade, I have the mirrors out to help guide me. Then as the mirrors get close to the sides of the entry of the garage (the narrowest part of the garage), I press the button to fold them in and back the Escalade out completely. Then I press the button again to open back up the mirrors.

Since we also have a two car garage, I actually park the Hybrid Escalade in the two-car garage and don't usually need to fold in the power mirrors. However due to logistics, charging, and the size of the Hybrid Escalade, the Model S will have to go in the single-car garage.

It should be obvious by now that a wide-body vehicle that costs $100k+ such as the Model S should have power folding mirrors. If not, it is a pretty big mistake that I'm sure will find it's way into a YouTube video by some pissed off reviewer making fun of Tesla's oversight.

Is it a Dealbreaker? Depends on the person, but if I were a company and needed every single sale on a relatively low volume product such as a $100k car, why take the risk of losing a customer due to a simple oversight? Throw in the other 5 problems and the risk increases even more especially among aspirational buyers. Tesla should just do it right the first time and be done with this issue and any potential negative press.

Last edited: