Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The 6 Model S problems and what I'm going to do about it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
mIt seems to me that if anyone needs to fold their mirrors in to actually fit into their garage, this car is just too wide for their garage. The mirrors are a huge aide in pulling out from the garage, and with them folded they are of no use, regardless if they electrically fold or not. Tesla just made this car 4 or 5 inches too wide (and heavy), period.

That's my only complaint about the car, and it easily fits in my garage.

I back in everyday using my rear view cam currently. It works a lot better than mirrors for alignment. I don't currently fold them in because my fx suv is narrower than the tesla. Once I'm through the garage opening it's quite wide and holds two cars, just not the opening. That's sf for you.

This is what might be causing some of the problem. The Model S, as someone pointed out before, is like prepaying for fuel for 5 years. Of course it's reasonable to look at two $100k cars and compare them until you realize the Model S has a ~$30,000 'engine' (battery) and aluminum frame. Tesla also likely has higher margins to try and recoup their investment faster and the DOE loan to payback.

Yep, and "higher" goals than selling a single car model (which inevitably can't be right for everyone).

This doesn't explain why they couldn't have put rear cup holders or small things like this but maybe why they don't compete feature for feature with the S class or even E class on options like ACC, HUD display, park distance control...etc. They also need to get the Model S out the door and bug free if possible. Loading it up with features like that would decrease those chances and can be added in future model years and when battery costs have come down.

Even those little features you mentioned first surely eat into the development time, as they all need to be sourced, one needs to make volume contracts (or forms) for the parts whether they are little or large, they need wiring through other parts of the car, etc., experimentation and experience to find out how well they work in practice etc. Those things can't always be done in parallel, especially if the respective departments in the company are still in growth and engineers being hired.

It's good to point out what's missing, but sometimes I think those "signature" people are spending too much time on their soapbox.

Last edited:
Hi everybody. I read that from January 2013 Tesla Model S will get power folding mirrors. So why are you worried so much about this item?
Closed loop here. raffy asked for a list of options available in 2013 but lacking on the first cars delivered. I compiled options that are announced but delayed (e.g. voice control) or are rumored to be worked on (we have that rumor of power folding mirrors in the unknowns thread). So here it comes back to same post by spatterso911.

It's good to point out what's missing, but sometimes I think those "signature" people are spending too much time on their soapbox.

I've got a Signature reservation locked in and can understand where people are coming from. Waiting 3.5 years after ordering a car is a really long time especially when the first 2.5 years were just general ideas of what the car would have and being told it would be fully loaded. I had a good idea that things were not set in stone and everything was a moving target but others have different expectations and are more upset about it. Still others thought Tesla lied to them about the specs when they were released and canceled their orders so things run the entire spectrum. Anyway, I still think it's going to be a new car and hope the people who are locked in can add back whatever features (cup holders, vanity mirror lights..etc) without too much trouble and just enjoy driving the car.

Last edited:
Time to chime in here. The control panel includes a silent button between the mirror selectors and above the control disc. It would be the button to control the mirror folding. Replacing the mirrors and adding the button would be relatively simple, once the power folding mirrors were designed. Perhaps that is the hang up.

The engineer I spoke with was crystal clear on the development and inclusion of these mirrors.

The other items I talked about were very clearly discussed as well. Whether they end up coming in January, perhaps being produced now before the sig deliveries as a part of some surprise, or ending up in S2.0, I am cautiously optimistic that they are coming eventually.

I totally understand "Seeing is believing" though, so we can remain cautiously optimistic.

All, forgive me please for being a little cantankerous and expressing my dissatisfaction with a hint of rude commentary about the Model S interior. Because I am in the market for an 1) EV and 2) that has a long range, only the Model S fits this criteria. Therefore, I will stick with the purchase (with a little hope b/c maybe some of the 6 problems will be solved before I take delivery) and also b/c I doubt Tesla would give back 100% of my refund now. Thank you all for your support and suggestions.

Here are the 6 problems for an everyday guy like me and, more importantly, the solutions to deal with it. I realize nothing is perfect, and I do want Tesla to succeed.

6 Problems (in order of importance to me, an ordinary guy):

1) Rear seat lights. Ever needed to look for an item at night in the back seat and needed just a simple light to see? Or how about removing groceries from the back seat at night? If it's dark, how do you see the plastic bag handles so you know where to grab and pick them up?
2) Motorized folding side mirrors. I'll have to open my windows and manually fold in both side mirrors so the Model S will fit in my standard-size, single-car garage. Just trust me: I have to fold in my Hybrid Escalade's motorized side mirrors, and it still barely fits. The width of Hybrid Escalade with mirrors folded is 79" (Model S, 77"). We have a two-car garage also but due to logistics, charging and the Hybrid Escalade, the Model S has to go in the single-car garage.
3) Add a sub-woofer. My Hybrid Escalade's sound system sounds incredible with any song/source due to it's full and rich-sounding Bose subwoofer. The Model S with 580watts should sound better, but it just doesn't (based on Sig Perf I drove at Get Amped event). The Model S doesn't seem to have any good low range (bass) which makes the music sound flat and uninspiring.
4) Concealed storage within easy reach (i.e. within the console, not the glove box). Some items in my car I simply don't want in plain sight! What is the harm in having a console that opens up to store things??
5) Rear seat cup holders. Rarely do I need cupholders, but when I do, I just do, darn it and that's all there is to it.
6) Sun visor vanity lights. Anyone ever have a passenger who cares about how she looks and would like to check before getting out of the car to go out at night?

Answers from Tesla regarding issues 1 and 6
Official word from Tesla (GeorgeB) on the vanity mirror light and rear reading lights

the original post is here

Answers on 4 and 5 to come with the Opportunity Console/Rear Cupholder, when designs are finalized. That leaves 2, which we have heard will be on cars for the EU and probably in the US 2.0.

This news is causing me to have a slight Tesla grin for the second time. The first was after driving in Mahwah, NJ. The third will probably be at Dallas Get Amped. Then hopefully a Tesla perma-grin will occur after taking delivery...