Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The center screen looks amazing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
model-3-dashboard-head-on-view1.jpeg

model-3-dashboard-head-on-view-e1501292780631.jpeg

Thread need pics! From Tesla Model 3 first drive experience: a smaller Model S with a minimalist look

Curious -- Does anyone else wonder about the hazard presented by this "floating" monitor? Seems to me that all the surfaces one can contact in a passenger compartment are usually padded and/or deformable. They have been this way since the 1960s or so, and I seem to recall reading about regulations that drove the manufacturers to do this. (At least in the US.) I remember Mercedes even pointing out that the head of the key was deformable (back before the keys were big packages of electronics) as well as their wood paneled surfaces -- they had a thin aluminum backing that would deform instead of rigidly resisting your head if they connected.
So, what happens if your face hits the edge of that Model 3 monitor in a collision? I would be surprised that is not a non-starter from a Federal safety design standpoint.
On the other hand, I have not seen it in person, so I am assuming something about how thin it is and thus how much of a hazard it presents.

Curious -- Does anyone else wonder about the hazard presented by this "floating" monitor? Seems to me that all the surfaces one can contact in a passenger compartment are usually padded and/or deformable. They have been this way since the 1960s or so, and I seem to recall reading about regulations that drove the manufacturers to do this. (At least in the US.) I remember Mercedes even pointing out that the head of the key was deformable (back before the keys were big packages of electronics) as well as their wood paneled surfaces -- they had a thin aluminum backing that would deform instead of rigidly resisting your head if they connected.
So, what happens if your face hits the edge of that Model 3 monitor in a collision? I would be surprised that is not a non-starter from a Federal safety design standpoint.
On the other hand, I have not seen it in person, so I am assuming something about how thin it is and thus how much of a hazard it presents.

How does one's head get in contact with the monitor? Your seat belt would prevent your head from moving that far forward in an accident.

How does one's head get in contact with the monitor? Your seat belt would prevent your head from moving that far forward in an accident.

There is a rather large fraction of the population that fails to use their seat belts, either regularly or occasionally. You are also assuming that seatbelts always perfectly contain your upper body, and I would guess that there are many scenarios in which vehicles roll, spin, or move in any number of ways that cause passengers to come free of the upper portion of their seatbelts, even if the belts stay latched and remain around the person's waist. .