Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The chromed bits on my S have the measles...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found these solutions:

Pour a solution of one part white distilled vinegar and one part cold water into a spray bottle. Spray a generous amount of the diluted vinegar onto the stained chrome and let it sit for five to 10 minutes. This allows the magnesium chloride to be absorbed and dissolve in the solution. Blot the chrome dry using a lint-free cloth.

Mix 1/2 cup each of flour, salt and white vinegar to form a paste. Use this to clean more stubborn magnesium chloride stains. Gently rub the paste onto the chrome surface, and then leave it on for at least one hour. Use a soft bristled brush, such as a toothbrush, to clean up the paste, and wipe the surface clean with a dry cloth.

Use a poultice of oxalic acid to get rid of the magnesium chloride. Dampen a gauze pad with some oxalic acid and blot it onto the stained chrome surface. The acid gets rid of the stain by neutralizing the pH of the magnesium chloride, which is highly alkaline. Rinse off the acid with cold water, and dry it using a soft, lint-free cloth

Read more: How to Remove Magnesium Chloride Stains From Chrome | eHow How to Remove Magnesium Chloride Stains From Chrome | eHow

You Atlanta guys and Coke! You should note that orange coke doesn't work :tongue:

Funny Orange Coke seems to be working fine for me!
WP_20130514_002.jpg

I live in Parker, CO, and I have seen that effect from Mag-Chloride on multiple cars. My only advice is to wash your car frequently in the winter, and don't leave dried on Mag-Chloride on your car for any length of time. I know lots of people get into the habit of not washing their cars very often during the winter (since they will just get dirty pretty quickly again), but you have to stay vigilant.

I have used Coke and Phosphoric acid on real metal chrome with superb results, especially with rust and rusted on bolts and screws and it works well. But the new cars have plastic chrome and I am hesitant to try it. I will carefully try it, but am not optimistic. The stains appear to be under the surface and in the chroming material or through it in the plastic. It has the appearance of a yellowish brown stain deep in the material. More news after I try these. Thanks, RNG

I found these solutions:

Pour a solution of one part white distilled vinegar and one part cold water into a spray bottle. Spray a generous amount of the diluted vinegar onto the stained chrome and let it sit for five to 10 minutes. This allows the magnesium chloride to be absorbed and dissolve in the solution. Blot the chrome dry using a lint-free cloth.

Mix 1/2 cup each of flour, salt and white vinegar to form a paste. Use this to clean more stubborn magnesium chloride stains. Gently rub the paste onto the chrome surface, and then leave it on for at least one hour. Use a soft bristled brush, such as a toothbrush, to clean up the paste, and wipe the surface clean with a dry cloth.

Use a poultice of oxalic acid to get rid of the magnesium chloride. Dampen a gauze pad with some oxalic acid and blot it onto the stained chrome surface. The acid gets rid of the stain by neutralizing the pH of the magnesium chloride, which is highly alkaline. Rinse off the acid with cold water, and dry it using a soft, lint-free cloth

Read more: How to Remove Magnesium Chloride Stains From Chrome | eHow How to Remove Magnesium Chloride Stains From Chrome | eHow

Thanks to Lloyd and others for their suggestions. I have now tried all of the above mentioned methods. These might work on fresh stains, but they did not work on the older stains. They did remove some of the color of the stains. They appear to have some yellow or gold tones to them. but the shape of the stain remains. I believe that this is an etched mark on the chrome surface, or the underlying plastic and once etched, cannot be removed.

I spoke with my sales person at Lexus and she said that she has a product that will also remove fresh stains, but not the etching. She will be getting me the name and I will try it as well.

So far the best recommendations are to keep a good coat of was on the chrome plastic pieces and to be diligent about rinsing off the Mag-Chloride as soon as possible when driving on the offending snow treated surfaces. My garage stays warm so I plan to keep a bucket of water and a little vinegar near the car to wipe it down after such drives next winter. Probably won't worry about the Lexus, it is already stained.

Thanks again,

RNG

I'm seeing splotches on my car's chromed parts that don't wash or rub off. The manager at my detailer pointed the problem out to me and said he thinks it's due to the magnesium chloride they use on the roads after a snowstorm; it seems plausible, since only the chromed parts down low and on the rear end are affected (the big chromed rings around the side windows are fine). Anyone else seen this, or have suggestions about removing the spots?

View attachment 21548
Hi, I know I'm a few years late on this but I just leased a 2016 Mazda 6 and I discovered some rust spots in the finish too that won't rub off. I called Mazda corporate and I'm to bring it to the dealer, give them a work ticket number and they'll replace all the affected chrome trim. Which is all of it. So my case is fixed already knowing it'll be replaced. I