Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The cost to fill my Tesla each day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG-20190919-WA0000.jpeg
I was taking a look at my daily electricity usage and it seems I am averaging under $1.50 per day in electricity costs (it starts at 3am) and typically using about 24 kwh of electricity. Not too bad considering this results in about 2000 km driven in a month.

This works out to $45 per month, but we don't even plug in every single night. When compared to my old ICE car, which would cost $224 to fuel that same 2000km, the savings are quite good- $2000+ over a year.

Anyone else done some math and happily surprised at just how cheap your actual usage is?

View attachment 456715 I was taking a look at my daily electricity usage and it seems I am averaging under $1.50 per day in electricity costs (it starts at 3am) and typically using about 24 kwh of electricity. Not too bad considering this results in about 2000 km driven in a month.

This works out to $45 per month, but we don't even plug in every single night. When compared to my old ICE car, which would cost $224 to fuel that same 2000km, the savings are quite good- $2000+ over a year.

Anyone else done some math and happily surprised at just how cheap your actual usage is?
Calculating the savings is what pushed me to purchase the car. ;)

Reactions: Fossil Fool
My savings are a little less than I expected. My consumption is a fair bit higher than expected and vampire drain adds up as well, but roughly speaking my weekly fuel cost was about equal to what I pay in additional electricity monthly, so still not a bad trade off.

Much the same here, although mine skews a little higher on account of I have an X and a lead foot. :p

I have a power meter installed on the power line that feeds my car charger, and I should have a years worth of data to put into a spreadsheet & graphical display soon.

Reactions: Petrocelli
Heavy foot ? :)

haha, more like you live in Quebec. Lowest electrical cost in the country ;)

What are you using to keep track of power usage?

Spreadsheet or any of the apps / website. I use TeslaFi plus a spreadsheet for graphs.

I keep it simple: kms driven vs kms charged. Do the math to get a rough kW usage - comes pretty close to what TeslaFi reports.

Reactions: duanra
My savings are a little less than I expected. My consumption is a fair bit higher than expected and vampire drain adds up as well, but roughly speaking my weekly fuel cost was about equal to what I pay in additional electricity monthly, so still not a bad trade off.
That surprises me? My experience is like most others. Spending 30 to 40 percent of fuel cost in electricity- including periodic supercharging here in Ontario. BC and Ontario energy rates aren’t too different but fuel is quite a but more so all things being equal it should not be a wash. Might be something else going on.

What are you paying per kW? I did calculations for Spain (dream to live in Valencia) and with their higher petrol and electrical cost, it still comes out ahead at 1/3rd to 1/4th.

I also plugged in gas prices / electrical prices in Vancouver and came out 6k CAD ahead for the year.

upload_2019-9-20_9-50-8.png

upload_2019-9-20_9-51-7.png

My old car took premium fuel and I also benefit from a wall charger at the office, where I usually get a 55-75km bump everyday. I use to spend about $350/mth on gas and now spend about $30 a month at home for charging (just under $4,000km per year), although admitedly, I did NOT buy this car to save money (I could have bought many much less expensive cars). I bought it because it was WAY better than anything else I drove and it was ZERO emissions (which felt good).

I also drove to NYC and back and to Michigan and back (x 2) this summer where I enjoyed even bigger savings because of free supercharging.

Most regional fuel price differences (both gas and electric) vary in each locality due to the source and taxes of the local power.

Citizens serviced mostly by Hydo waterfall power are the cheapest. Those burning coal or oil the highest. Some areas have legacy costs of decominssioned nuclear plants, others are building expensive solar and wind generators (that will end up less expensive in the long run)

Many communities pay their bills by heavy taxes on energy while others have other sources of funds to make energy cheaper.

So it often will depend on where you live as to the delta in costs between gas/electric. Overall electric tends to be at least twice as efficient as gasoline. ICE usually most expensive, hybrid in the middle and pure EV the cleanest and cheapest. (YMMV:)

Other than economics, perhaps the biggest benefit of EV is the less pollution and noise in our congested cities.

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
My calculation is very simple My Mercedes C300 uses premium gas. I average it at 7 km per dollar. That is it will cost me $14 for 100 km.

It takes 2 hours to charge 100 KM in model 3, and at 8 KW per hour, it will take at most $1.60 to get 100 KM (at $0.08 a kw, with everything else, it will be around 10 cents per kw). For argument sake, let's just said $2.00, that is just 20 percent of what I used to pay in gas.

The 20% is quite close to what everyone is saying here. In winter, it may goes up to 30% to 40%, Whatever!

Not to mentioned it is just plain fun to drive even after 9 months. It is less stressful to drive, and from time to time, I got some interesting new features with this TOY. Who else can do this for us at regular interval and at no cost to us. Best decision ever.

What are you paying per kW? I did calculations for Spain (dream to live in Valencia) and with their higher petrol and electrical cost, it still comes out ahead at 1/3rd to 1/4th.

I also plugged in gas prices / electrical prices in Vancouver and came out 6k CAD ahead for the year.
Right, I said my monthly electrical cost increase is about the same as my weekly (as in 1 week) fuel cost was, so my cost is somewhere in 1/4 to 1/5 range. I see now that maybe some people interpreted it as my electricity costs being the same as my gasoline costs were. Before the car I was right around the Step 1/Step 2 cutoff, so my charging is essentially all at the step 2 rate of $0.1417. Just thought it would be lower but I probably didn't factor in vampire drain, charging efficiency and my driving efficiency (partly due to a hilly commute and also due to a lead foot.) I was hoping to get closer to 1/10th the cost of gasoline, though I didn't really think it would be that low.