Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The D thread Australia & New Zealand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the minimum time between order and delivery for a left-hand-drive customer? 4 weeks or so? That would mean none of us will see our VINs until approx. week 1 June as they'll be putting all LHD orders ahead of ours in order to make the quarter. Once they pass the minimum production lead time for LHD vehicles they should start putting ours in the production program (here's hoping).

i posted the above at lunchtime today. I've just checked and I HAVE MY VIIIIIIIIIIIIN!

904xx !!!

Two conclusions: I know nothing about how it all works, and I might actually get a car this year! Yay!!!!

Great news 917 & ZTrekus.

I have to to say I was feeling guilty that I had got one before you guys.

Naaa West Australians should always get preferred treatment over the East coast...

So my crystal ball sez:

1. 7 weeks after vin, car goes into production
2. 1 week for production
3. Then 6-8 weeks transit time, pass through customs and arrive at local Tesla.
4. Wake up in 6 hours.

I think that Tesla Aust is just as keen to get their hands on the cars as you guys are to take delivery, perhaps even more so if that is possible. They only have a dual motor chassis on show in Sydney and ?Melbourne. With no vehicle to test drive, how can they expect to drive sales even harder?
Mind you, i can really see no genuine reason for dual motor in this country. The plain S85 is very powerful, and after the first month or so when you get over the Luna Park type rush of acceleration, you start to find yourself driving for range and playing the "how low can i get consumption to go" game. The other game i have found myself playing is "how much free driving can i get?" Using destination charging, the UMC and superchargers. I barely use my HPWC. It is astounding how I drive everywhere and not paying a thing for fuel. A truly amazing experience!! Destination charging in say Chatswood gives me additional exercise as i climb six flights of stairs to get to the council solar farm, and also park much further away than i otherwise would so get in the walk. good for an old codger like me.

I think that Tesla Aust is just as keen to get their hands on the cars as you guys are to take delivery, perhaps even more so if that is possible. They only have a dual motor chassis on show in Sydney and ?Melbourne. With no vehicle to test drive, how can they expect to drive sales even harder?
Mind you, i can really see no genuine reason for dual motor in this country. The plain S85 is very powerful, and after the first month or so when you get over the Luna Park type rush of acceleration, you start to find yourself driving for range and playing the "how low can i get consumption to go" game. The other game i have found myself playing is "how much free driving can i get?" Using destination charging, the UMC and superchargers. I barely use my HPWC. It is astounding how I drive everywhere and not paying a thing for fuel. A truly amazing experience!! Destination charging in say Chatswood gives me additional exercise as i climb six flights of stairs to get to the council solar farm, and also park much further away than i otherwise would so get in the walk. good for an old codger like me.

Ahh but the D is the flagship of the fleet.

See a battleship doesn't have to fire all its guns, but it's still a battleship.

And why go for the tug boat when you can get the gun boat.

- - - Updated - - -

Have had my VIN for around 4 weeks 779xx, and the estimated delivery of late August has been fixed for around 8 weeks. I may be in a race with mhh!

Ok so mhh and TasMc, and l8r Cynix, we are going to be looking to you guys to see which insurance companies you have lined up which know the P85D...

For insurance, try Youi. They insured my car and were the cheapest, if also the pushiest. Need to be ready to be strong on the phone with them. Also, if you decide to go with them, be prepared for at least 45mins on the phone.

I always get nervous taking out insurance with small insurance companies like Youi. For example, I wouldn't buy 100k worth of shares in non blue chip but that is what is at risk or more when your car is insured with them. When you need to make a claim, they could go the way of HIH. I admit I'd prefer the bigger companies like AMP/GIO or NRMA. Maybe even Coles. But the little ones give me the creeps...

I always get nervous taking out insurance with small insurance companies like Youi. For example, I wouldn't buy 100k worth of shares in non blue chip but that is what is at risk or more when your car is insured with them. When you need to make a claim, they could go the way of HIH. I admit I'd prefer the bigger companies like AMP/GIO or NRMA. Maybe even Coles. But the little ones give me the creeps...
If you look at their history, both AMP and NRMA are both suspect.

Can't order the 19" wheels with a P85D now and locked into a $6100 cost (with Winter tyres)? Both US and AUS. What the ...?
Is there a shortage or 19" questionable with the P85D or ?

My build has effectively gone up another $8,345 on top of the rise on the 2/5/2015 of $10,055 for a total of $18,400!!!
I'm aware I'm locked in to the original order price. But for new orders!!

Last edited:
Can't order the 19" wheels with a P85D now and locked into a $6100 cost (with Winter tyres)? Both US and AUS. What the ...?
Is there a shortage or 19" questionable with the P85D or ?

My build has effectively gone up another $8,345 on top of the rise on the 2/5/2015 of $10,055 for a total of $18,400!!!
I'm aware I'm locked in to the original order price. But for new orders!!

Hey well spotted brewster, that is actually quite a development... A very not insignificant price increase...

It would be a shame if 21's became the only option for the P85D. Between a 19 and a 21, the 21's are heavier, less fuel efficient, noisier, usually shorter life, tyres are more expensive to replace, more prone to damage from potholes etc. On the plus side 21" s look better and suspension can be tuned with them to give better cornering but typically at the expense of everyday ride comfort. Personally, good quality rubber on a 19" rim is a better everyday outcome.

It would be a shame if 21's became the only option for the P85D. Between a 19 and a 21, the 21's are heavier, less fuel efficient, noisier, usually shorter life, tyres are more expensive to replace, more prone to damage from potholes etc. On the plus side 21" s look better and suspension can be tuned with them to give better cornering but typically at the expense of everyday ride comfort. Personally, good quality rubber on a 19" rim is a better everyday outcome.

A friend of mine in the states who has 21" said to me just now the exact same thing that you just said.

And he told me to stick to the 19".

I think it is a shame for future customers. For one thing, it would have taken the car above my price bracket.

The 21" s do look great and if i was driving somewhere with great roads, the big turbine rims matched appropriately colour wise to the car are a very nice look. I think choice is important for customers in this case as rim size is not a trivial nor an inexpensive decision . On a different matter, I have looked at plenty of reviews for the Model S but had not seen this one. It is a bit different to many and this guy has some interesting views. I liked his summary at the end.
NEW 2015 Tesla Model S P85D - With 691 hp, Is this the Ultimate Family Car? - YouTube

The 21" s do look great and if i was driving somewhere with great roads, the big turbine rims matched appropriately colour wise to the car are a very nice look. I think choice is important for customers in this case as rim size is not a trivial nor an inexpensive decision . On a different matter, I have looked at plenty of reviews for the Model S but had not seen this one. It is a bit different to many and this guy has some interesting views. I liked his summary at the end.
NEW 2015 Tesla Model S P85D - With 691 hp, Is this the Ultimate Family Car? - YouTube

An excellent review - it is reassuring isn't it!

Strangely watching reviews like that helps the time pass both faster in one respect and slower in another... and I think only someone waiting on the car for so long can understand that sentiment.