Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The D thread Australia & New Zealand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Damn, me too. I've got very low expectations about anything this company promises. It's a good idea to buy something else the same time you order your Tesla. It helps take your mind off things.
My take on it is that the Jerome letter was talking about when the factory expects to produce your car - the actual MyTesla date includes shipping to Australia. I know, literally the letter says it will update the MyTesla account (according to the June - August timeframe) but everybody had those same dates and it takes about 4 - 6 weeks of shipping to get to Australia. So I don't think that there has been a further delay. Personally I am hoping to get it before mid October. In one sense, the year becomes a total write-off! In another sense, it helps to focus on other things...

My take on it is that the Jerome letter was talking about when the factory expects to produce your car - the actual MyTesla date includes shipping to Australia. I know, literally the letter says it will update the MyTesla account (according to the June - August timeframe) but everybody had those same dates and it takes about 4 - 6 weeks of shipping to get to Australia. So I don't think that there has been a further delay. Personally I am hoping to get it before mid October. In one sense, the year becomes a total write-off! In another sense, it helps to focus on other things...

I disagree that he was referring to the production date. This is the exact statement from the letter...
"Unfortunately, the delivery date for your car is being delayed back and will be updated in your My Tesla account from June to August"

I'm going to reply to Jerome's email asking why My Tesla now states September only a few days after his letter specified August.

Long time lurker here, very very long time Telsa admirer.

I ordered a P85+ soon after my Melbourne test drive and then promptly changed it to a P85D when they were announced, so my delivery dates slipped as expected from:

March 2015 (P85+), to June 2015 (P85D)...then the Jerome mass email arrived saying August 2015 but my dashboard still said June.

Today, I looked at it again and was initially sad to see September....BUT I HAVE BEEN ALLOCATED A VIN NOW instead of having to stare at my rather forlorn RN number for the last 6 months.

I'm realistic enough about Tesla to simply be patient and wait for the car. It'll arrive when it is ready and I'll be very happy when it arrives. I'd rather it be right than early.

I am sure every one on this forum started out using things like these posts as part of their research. I have been an observer of Tesla for a while but did not think to seriously about it until the Australian launch. Now I am getting the info together to decide if this is something I want to do. Thanks to all the contributors to this forum, it is proving a rich source of information.

I have been a long time car nut but since I got rid of my Audi S4 I have been a bit more CO2 aware and have changed to more fuel efficient diesels. The Tesla now gives me the opportunity to get the performance I miss but with a clear environmental conscience.

The D looks like the way to go, but probably not a P85D as I will have P-platers in the family for another 5 years and I don't want the restriction of limiting which car they can drive. First thing to do is to confirm that the 85D is approved in Queensland for P-platers, which will need confirmation from Tesla on the "official" tare weight of the car.
I have installed 19kw of solar power ( across 3 phases) at home and on average generate 85Kwh a day across the year, so I will have a truly green car and as I work from home it can be charged during the day. I already have a 3 phase plug in the garage / workshop for a table saw, so I plan on setting up for the 3 phase charger when it is available.

I am going to Melbourne in mid march for a test drive, which will make or break the decision. All going to plan then it will be the usual list of decisions on colour and specs etc.

I disagree that he was referring to the production date. This is the exact statement from the letter...
"Unfortunately, the delivery date for your car is being delayed back and will be updated in your My Tesla account from June to August"

I'm going to reply to Jerome's email asking why My Tesla now states September only a few days after his letter specified August.

I think he was referring to the "start of Australian deliveries" date, which used to say "June" on the order page, and not the specific delivery date of any one of us. Bad choice of words though.

- - - Updated - - -

Today, I looked at it again and was initially sad to see September....BUT I HAVE BEEN ALLOCATED A VIN NOW instead of having to stare at my rather forlorn RN number for the last 6 months.

Congrats on getting a VIN… mine says September too but still staring at the RN.

I am sure every one on this forum started out using things like these posts as part of their research. I have been an observer of Tesla for a while but did not think to seriously about it until the Australian launch. Now I am getting the info together to decide if this is something I want to do. Thanks to all the contributors to this forum, it is proving a rich source of information.

I have been a long time car nut but since I got rid of my Audi S4 I have been a bit more CO2 aware and have changed to more fuel efficient diesels. The Tesla now gives me the opportunity to get the performance I miss but with a clear environmental conscience.

The D looks like the way to go, but probably not a P85D as I will have P-platers in the family for another 5 years and I don't want the restriction of limiting which car they can drive. First thing to do is to confirm that the 85D is approved in Queensland for P-platers, which will need confirmation from Tesla on the "official" tare weight of the car.
I have installed 19kw of solar power ( across 3 phases) at home and on average generate 85Kwh a day across the year, so I will have a truly green car and as I work from home it can be charged during the day. I already have a 3 phase plug in the garage / workshop for a table saw, so I plan on setting up for the 3 phase charger when it is available.

I am going to Melbourne in mid march for a test drive, which will make or break the decision. All going to plan then it will be the usual list of decisions on colour and specs etc.

Not even the S (one motor) is P compliant for QLD. It's 135 Kw/T as against a maximum permissible 130 Kw/T. This means I will not have to worry at night :)

Unless you intend to race the car, the S85 gives more than enough power and incredible acceleration. My opinion? The D is a waste of money for Australia.

AWD has a lot of value for many drivers.

Almost 1 million of Australians have so much money to waste, so wasting it on a fancy Tesla D seems like one of the better ways to waste money:smile:

The country is home to 443,500 "high net worth" (HNW) investors; those with investable assets of more than $1 million.

There are also 580,000 "emerging" high net worth Australians with $500,000 to $1 million in investable assets.

Unless you intend to race the car, the S85 gives more than enough power and incredible acceleration. My opinion? The D is a waste of money for Australia.

I have had the same misgivings expressed earlier in this thread. If one was to embrace it though, then it follows that anything other than a bare essential car to get one from A to B is a waste of money. All luxury cars are a waste, that's what 'luxury' means. But a splurge now and then is not the *end of the world. A life without any pleasantries would be.

*I said 'end of the world' not 'arse end of the world'.

Planting the foot on my test drive on the South Eastern Freeway surrounded by traffic and having the rear end wiggle somewhat was plenty of justification for me to change to the D when it was announced.

I experienced the same thing test driving the P85 and P85+ at Chadstone. I haven't driven a single motor S60 or S85 and going to dual motors might not be worth it if you're considering either of those, but the difference between the P85+ and the P85D is significant not just in terms of outright power but more so relating to traction. Sending that much power through the rear wheels alone causes the traction control to kick in all the time trying to stop the rear end from stepping out.

I drove the P85+ for a couple of days. Yes indeed, if you stomp down on the go pedal it DOES have more oomph than my S85. The D undoubtedly will have that effect plus plus (IF you go for the P).
However, if fit and finish (other than for the next gen seats, which you can probably get anyway with the S, (by then (later in the year) anyway), there is no "luxury difference."
Yes, indeed, when i first got the car and was both showing off to myself and those i was giving demonstration drives to, i was using the immense power. These days two and a half months in? Just enjoying the beautiful smooth ride and use the power only when i really need it, for passing other vehicles or getting myself out of a tight spot. Is it good to know that all that power is there? yes. Do I need nearly double what i have? absolutely not. Do i leave other ICE cars in an electron haze? Most definitely yes!! (if i choose to). My wife hates the sudden G as it is and yells at me to slow down! Do i drive on slippery surfaces where i need the traction, such as snow or dirt roads? Basically never. So, dual motor is a total waste of money for me. Please note, I DID say, my opinion.
A test drive is no place to make a decision regarding an additional $30 -40 grand decision on something you probably won't or will barely use after two or three months of ownership. Particularly since the car is otherwise pretty identical to mine.(AND mine is a signature, not that you can tell that unless you really look for the barely visible lettering on the tailgate and the fact that it says so when you start up on the screen. There is NO "signature" anywhere, certainly not from Elon. OK, I have a sig red and sig white leather. Big deal. Additional cost went to Teslas' bottom line. What you really need to make such a decision, is a genuine report from an owner who has driven one for at least 2 - 3 months, and has got over his "back to my boyhood" feelings!
We don't have unlimited speed autobahns in this country, and anyway at those speeds, you will chew up your range so fast you won't know what hit you.
As to traction, i have had absolutely no indication that traction control was kicking in. If it was, it is undetectable.

I experienced the same thing test driving the P85 and P85+ at Chadstone. I haven't driven a single motor S60 or S85 and going to dual motors might not be worth it if you're considering either of those, but the difference between the P85+ and the P85D is significant not just in terms of outright power but more so relating to traction. Sending that much power through the rear wheels alone causes the traction control to kick in all the time trying to stop the rear end from stepping out.

Yeah with a D you might actually save on tire wear costs...not to say that's much of a justification though!

THERE HAS BEEN A COMPLETE CHANGE OF MOOD

Before the email: Everyone was excited - saying when their expected date was, and every now and then someone would announce they had a VIN like the winner of a Bingo game.

After the email: Dread has set in. August stretched to September. And any further delay on that puts it towards Christmas. I mean we just had Christmas. So it's a bloody year away. So unfair. Thoroughly demoralised.

AND I want my VIN :-(

THERE HAS BEEN A COMPLETE CHANGE OF MOOD

Before the email: Everyone was excited - saying when their expected date was, and every now and then someone would announce they had a VIN like the winner of a Bingo game.

After the email: Dread has set in. August stretched to September. And any further delay on that puts it towards Christmas. I mean we just had Christmas. So it's a bloody year away. So unfair. Thoroughly demoralised.

AND I want my VIN :-(

In my opinion, just forget the car. Tell everyone who asks, basically everyone you know every time they see you, that it will likely be March 2016 before you see the car. Use the money you don't spend in the intervening twelve months to save for the extra bits and pieces you will want to buy from the Tesla shop, that's assuming they decide to sell to Australian customers at some point. Or take yourself on a holiday. Or just save the money. But DO NOT think your car is coming in September. Allow me to manage your expectations. Might still be this year, but not September so just put it out of your mind for the time being. Believe me I know how you feel.

Just found on the Design Studio that Next Gen seats are now available on the 85D. One step closer to an order.

- - - Updated - - -

Also just found this on Market Watch....

It appears that Tesla is building cars beyond what’s ordered and may have used cars available, Barclays said.

In the 10-K, Tesla described its finished-goods inventory of nearly $400 million as including “a smaller portion of vehicles available for immediate sale” beyond loaners and showroom models.

“This is a departure from the past — indicating that Tesla production is not as much of a build-to-order model as it had been historically,” the analysts said.

If this is true it might have some implications on the robustness of delivery dates being better than in the past.