Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The demise of the OEMs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla, somewhat famously, had a positive gross auto margin back in Q4 of 2012- just months after initial deliveries of Model S began.
Tesla was successful in going from 0 to 1M EVs because they didn't have any competition. Legacy will not have that luxury. If Tesla had Tesla 2023 as competition they would have been so screwed. GLHF for legacy...

Tesla, somewhat famously, had a positive gross auto margin back in Q4 of 2012- just months after initial deliveries of Model S began.
Now that I think about it, Taycan may be profitable for Porsche. It's in a similar situation as early Tesla -- a single high end model with fanatical customers.

That said, positive gross margin is a far cry from profitable. Tesla also had a couple of margin advantages early on, such as a free factory. And legacy tends to feed R&D into COGS while Tesla never has. Operating margin is really the only way to compare them.

It has begun... VW to stop selling ICE vehicles in Norway at the end of 2023:

Based on that, it sounds like Cruise lied to the DMV.

Reactions: CarlS
I imagine Norway will be migrating to snow cats
Snow groomer
1698238140658.png

"We are making battery EVs like only a true carmaker can," Toyota President Koji Sato told reporters. 🤡

• Funny
Mexico will be huge for everyone due to even more trade agreements for outbound and access North America/USA inbound. Of course you have to manuf in Mexico:

Tesla will have access to more export locations around the globe for export
China/BYD and others will have no Tarriff to USA once they setup factories in Mexico.

The latter will change everything where the new costs of the UAW will not allow Ford and GM to compete inside the USA.

Sad days are coming.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12 and CarlS
But maybe not sad days as we are getting more and better for our hard earned money

Just don’t want USA owned vehicle manuf to fail
Like has and is in Europe

Btw, what happened to Vinfast??
View attachment 985459

The majority of Vinfast stock is held by the owner and CEO, so the float is very small which makes the stock super volatile. I wouldn't buy any shares in Vinfast, not even with Trevor Milton's money! 😁

• Funny
The majority of Vinfast stock is held by the owner and CEO, so the float is very small which makes the stock super volatile. I wouldn't buy any shares in Vinfast, not even with Trevor Milton's money! 😁
I heard vs Tesla as an alternative, rank:

1 Rivian
2 HKG
3 GM and Ford
4 Fisker
5 Vinfast

Skipping all China EVs, including Geely’s Polestar and Volvo

Heard initial quality of Vinfast was not perfect
Would be great for a new buyer to drop is a note
Imagine we would have a lot of questions

No one is buying EV’s from the big 3 as they have Osborned themselves with the publicity around moving to NACS. Word has gotten out on just how dismal the non-NACS DC fast charging infrastructure is in the US. Very few people are willing to spend $$ on a car that they can’t reliably drive more than 100 miles from home. So they are waiting for all the 2024 NACS adapters and built-in NACS capable cars in 2025. All this assumes the big three can spin their EV lines back up after being idle for months/years.

Wow, I had no idea they were doing so many.
These swap stations will become a liability at some point.
They haven’t done 31 million battery swaps. They’ve done supposedly 31 million miles worth of battery swaps. Still seems silly to me when Tesla owners of the newer faster charging vehicles are often ready in 15 minutes. Can quickly park and use the bathroom/eat/stretch for those fire minutes.