Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The F-150 Lightning Is not what I expected - Anyone else feel the same?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Um, you do realize that EVERY surface inside a Tesla is plastic right? If you think that Vinyl seats are upscale then you should never get into an actual upscale vehicle. One buys a Tesla for the technology - the rest of the "car" parts are vastly inferior to the legacy manufacturers.

You will for sure NOT get leather in a $100k CT. My $130k Tesla has vinyl seats.

I hate vinyl seats. lol....had a vinyl couch in the living room...it sticks to skin capturing the moisture and make you smell bad

FYI Teslas don't have vinyl seats, they have PU (polyurethane seats). Vinyl seats tend to breath worse and are typically less soft and less leather-like, which is where they get their bad reputation. Tesla's not the only one using these types of materials, pretty much every major brand offers such types of seats (MBTex, Sensatec, etc).

Last edited:
I have a Tesla Model S. Tesla is definitely not high quality. Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Audi have better materials even on their base model. Tesla interior quality is at best closest to a Prius, Corolla, Civic. Sure, everything else is better.

Had a Tesla Model S brand new too since day 1 for 5 years. Drive is nice. Quick. It never gets old outrunning people at the stop light or overtaking them. But, quality is a lot to be desire on it.

Reactions: E90alex
I have a Tesla Model S. Tesla is definitely not high quality. Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Audi have better materials even on their base model. Tesla interior quality is at best closest to a Prius, Corolla, Civic. Sure, everything else is better.

Had a Tesla Model S brand new too since day 1 for 5 years. Drive is nice. Quick. It never gets old outrunning people at the stop light or overtaking them. But, quality is a lot to be desire on it.

i still have own a top line lexus suv with so called leather - i don t agree that tesla leather is any inferior to my 90k lexus leather...

in fact i was sitting inside 2023 mercedes eqe the other day and it s the same leather as tesla... there is hardly any difference other than design...

I disagree. The Tesla seats, upon sitting in it, feels like it doesn't wrap you unless you're bulky or chunky. Almost like putting cheap foam on the dinning room chair. The floor carpets resembles hairballs. On a Lexus, on the other hand, wraps you. Feels almost perfectly wrapping you like you're in the clouds. The carpet feels like you're in the 70s Austin Powers movie.

Overall, feels a lot warmer and cozier in the Lexus. Tesla doesn't feel like that at all, not luxurious at all.

Reactions: E90alex
FYI Teslas don't have vinyl seats, they have PU (polyurethane seats). Vinyl seats tend to breath worse and are typically less soft and less leather-like, which is where they get their bad reputation. Tesla's not the only one using these types of materials, pretty much every major brand offers such types of seats (MBTex Sensatec, etc).
Vinyl is just used colloquially to refer to all imitation leather interiors regardless of what the material is actually made of.

Although “vegan leather” has replaced the term vinyl in recent years, especially in marketing material.

I disagree. The Tesla seats, upon sitting in it, feels like it doesn't wrap you unless you're bulky or chunky. Almost like putting cheap foam on the dinning room chair. The floor carpets resembles hairballs. On a Lexus, on the other hand, wraps you. Feels almost perfectly wrapping you like you're in the clouds. The carpet feels like you're in the 70s Austin Powers movie.

Overall, feels a lot warmer and cozier in the Lexus. Tesla doesn't feel like that at all, not luxurious at all.
You are talking about about the shape of the seat, not the material. I think the comment you were responding to is talking purely about the material.

it s all about design at this point bc the leather are all the same i think, yes ur right the lexus leather of lx470 is very nice indeed i agree...

but the mercedes eqe and the audi etron rs leather is very comparable to tesla leather... it s all design in the difference u perceive...

when i sit in my mx and drive it it just feels futuristic by design... the vibe is different from o ev s...

Vinyl is just used colloquially to refer to all imitation leather interiors regardless of what the material is actually made of.

Although “vegan leather” has replaced the term vinyl in recent years, especially in marketing material.
Yeah, I get that colloquially people tend to call every imitation leather material vinyl, but the quality and characteristics are significantly different that it still bears pointing out.

I'm sure most people have experienced cheap vinyl couches or the true vinyl seats of older cars and Tesla's (as well as similar modern leather alternative) seat material is significantly higher quality than that. A lot of people can't even tell the difference with the real leather in previous cars they had. Not every leather seat is the top notch nappa leather that the highest end cars have.

I had a $75K 2021 King Ranch F-150 that I’ve since sold. The fit and finish on that truck will blow anything away in Tesla’s arsenal, including the MSP, which I have on order. The B&O stereo system was excellent and it was as quiet as a Lexus. And Ford knows how real truck people use them. That all said, the range and towing on the Lightning are not very good.

Reactions: nativewolf
I had a $75K 2021 King Ranch F-150 that I’ve since sold. The fit and finish on that truck will blow anything away in Tesla’s arsenal, including the MSP, which I have on order. The B&O stereo system was excellent and it was as quiet as a Lexus. And Ford knows how real truck people use them. That all said, the range and towing on the Lightning are not very good.

What are real truck people?

Reactions: cusetownusa
interior was full of plastic

I'm a big fan of Tesla cabin design but not of plastic -- any kind of plastic. I solved my issue by re-upholstering with Katzkin leather. A good upholstery does wonders for the interior , both for the color and the feel.

That said, I can see the point of plastic in a work truck. Suburbanites can go the Katzkin route and be very satisfied

Me, people that use the bed for something other than groceries, that take it on mud not for fun but because that is where the work is.

Disclaimer: I have never owned a truck, and the show/macho aspects of truck ownership do not affect me.

My impression of perceived deficiency of EV trucks by suburbanites is related to towing range. They handle the trips to the home improvement store just fine.

Disclaimer: I have never owned a truck, and the show/macho aspects of truck ownership do not affect me.

My impression of perceived deficiency of EV trucks by suburbanites is related to towing range. They handle the trips to the home improvement store just fine.
They do. And if they can solve the towing issue (severe depletion of battery while towing) they will be worth the investment.

They do. And if they can solve the towing issue (severe depletion of battery while towing) they will be worth the investment.
It will come in time as battery technology and energy density improves. It’s not a Ford problem or even an EV problem.

You get similar amount of efficiency/range loss in an ICE vehicle while towing. It’s just less noticeable due to a larger energy reserve and less of a concern due to abundant and ease of refueling.

For now EV trucks are a great option for people who don’t need to regularly tow long distances (which is a large portion truck owners). But there’s also significant overlap of truck buyers and EV haters, so there’s that.

Me, people that use the bed for something other than groceries, that take it on mud not for fun but because that is where the work is.

I carry a LOT of stuff in my truck all the time - I have a work truck for construction supplies, going to the dump, pulling trees, etc

But honestly I barely put any actual miles on it and I never tow. The Ford F150 EV would be perfect for me but the price is insane.