Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ford Lightning price increase announcement: 6k-8.5k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Corndart

Oct 11, 2021
Seattle
Ford is citing significant cost increases and appears to be following the same approach as Tesla, which is to not increase for customers that have already placed an order.

Still less than every single Tesla price increase, I guess.

I’m really reconsidering a full EV for replacing my secondary vehicle, which is a 2003 Ram 1500 Pickup. These EV pickup prices are just too high for my taste.

I saw this announcement earlier today and went out to the Ford web site to quote a Maverick, which came out to $32k. That price is much more my style than the almost $90k for an Extended Range Lariat. Once the Maverick is updated as a plug-in hybrid, I just may jump on it.

I’m really reconsidering a full EV for replacing my secondary vehicle, which is a 2003 Ram 1500 Pickup. These EV pickup prices are just too high for my taste.

I saw this announcement earlier today and went out to the Ford web site to quote a Maverick, which came out to $32k. That price is much more my style than the almost $90k for an Extended Range Lariat. Once the Maverick is updated as a plug-in hybrid, I just may jump on it.
The Maverick is a cool little pickup truck and likely all most people really need. It's giving me those late 70's / early 80's minitruck vibes bigtime.

I would personally never buy a Ford PHEV again after owning a C-Max. The 2WD hybrid is a pretty great bang for the buck to schlep to the home improvement store, pickup a christmas tree, and fit bulkier warehouse club items in the bed.

The Maverick is a cool little pickup truck and likely all most people really need. It's giving me those late 70's / early 80's minitruck vibes bigtime.
I'd be all over it if they announced a full BEV one tomorrow. I hate my F150 (it was the spare vehicle when my DD Focus died last summer so it became the new DD) and would love something with a back seat again...

What do you see as the problem with Ford PHEVs? I had a standard hybrid Cmax for a while, decent for what it was but absolutely the wrong car for me--it made me neurotic driving it. Too much real-time efficiency feedback.

no serious truck guy will buy the lightening. weekend warriors will
Why not? Seems like a good truck. My only issue is it isn't a full bed, but I would still consider it. What constitutes a serious truck guy? I use a truck to haul stuff; bed fulls of mulch, gravel, pavers, dump runs with trash or yard waste, hauling furniture, occasional towing of a trailer. The built in scale is a really cool feature that fixes one of the big problems I have with trucks -- not overloading the bed.

I currently use an early 90's F-150, but have my eye on getting something new eventually. The Lightning is on my radar.

Why not? Seems like a good truck. My only issue is it isn't a full bed, but I would still consider it. What constitutes a serious truck guy? I use a truck to haul stuff; bed fulls of mulch, gravel, pavers, dump runs with trash or yard waste, hauling furniture, occasional towing of a trailer. The built in scale is a really cool feature that fixes one of the big problems I have with trucks -- not overloading the bed.

I currently use an early 90's F-150, but have my eye on getting something new eventually. The Lightning is on my radar.

Serious truck buyers are those who “Tow” their luxury trailer to go “rough it out” at some lake……… Not those who throw Home Depot crap in the back of the truck, move crap to the junkyard, or need space for a Family of 5.

Looked at a Lightning Platinum yesterday Vancouver Ford (WA). MSRP sticker:$92k Additional dealer mark up $50k. They want $142k for this. Had everything I wanted and more but the range even with their bigger battery was only 310.

I just walked away. I probably would have bought it for MSRP. Still waiting for ordered CT.

• Funny
Reactions: Corndart

maverick would be a great PHEV for my 16 y.o next year. Hope it gets the full tax credit .

IF they've got their battery act together. Bought a used Focus EV range 83. Got home range 10 miles away, range was donw 20. Luckily the old owners info was in the dash, called him. He said he had the same issue. Promptly stopped payment and returned it the next day.

With a PHEV at least the gas is a back up

Last edited:
Reactions: Corndart
Serious truck buyers are those who “Tow” their luxury trailer to go “rough it out” at some lake……… Not those who throw Home Depot crap in the back of the truck, move crap to the junkyard, or need space for a Family of 5.
It's probably more like "recreationalists", "pavement princess/image buyer", "weekend DIYer" and "pure work truck" if you're segmenting out the truck market. There is plenty of appeal for the first three segments in the Lightning IMO, and I doubt they'll have a hard time convincing any of them that it's not a "serious truck". The latter will be the most resistent depending on how far they need to roam in a day and how much they need to tow. But when you start calculating operating costs, there will also be plenty of cases where the Lightning stacks up well. Not every work truck hauls a lot of crap around for hundreds of miles a day.

Reactions: DerbyCityY
exactly....weekend warriors will buy it of course and likely never haul much in it as it will get dirty and scratched.lol

Looked at a Lightning Platinum yesterday Vancouver Ford (WA). MSRP sticker:$92k Additional dealer mark up $50k. They want $142k for this. Had everything I wanted and more but the range even with their bigger battery was only 310.

I just walked away. I probably would have bought it for MSRP. Still waiting for ordered CT.
50k markup? lol...what a scam