Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Factory that could of been Tesla's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks! The Mitsubishi Motors North American plant is being sold to Rivian Automotive this month and I wanted to share the story with the Tesla Community! I believed, and still do, that this factory would be a great expansion tool for Tesla. The factory is 2.4M FT with over 590 Acres of land and a test track, this factory was sold for $2.5MM in May to an auction company, Maynards.

Here is my Story on Rivian, the company that is purchasing. It is a be tragic for our town and our terrible politicians, given the track record and history of Rivian.

What is Rivian Automotive?

All thoughts are welcome!

P.S. Here's to hoping that the deal will fall through and Tesla will consider buying it for pennies on the dollar!

Sorry, but I can't join in your condemnation of Rivian as a scam. On the contrary, compared to the other Chinese-backed EV startups (FF, Lucid, NextEV, Karma), Rivian is actually U.S.-founded and funded, and we know who the leadership are. We have learned that FF is a scheme by the Chinese to steal U.S. ingenuity and talent, and transfer the technology they develop to China. The same crooked Chinese investor of FF is backing Lucid. Less is known about NextEV and Karma, but I suspect their motives as well.

Rivian's troubles are no different than those of any startup trying to survive in a capital-intensive industry with astronomical entry barriers. Here's hoping that Rivian -- a true American company -- succeeds.

• Love
Reactions: GreenT and zdriver
Sorry, but I can't join in your condemnation of Rivian as a scam. On the contrary, compared to the other Chinese-backed EV startups (FF, Lucid, NextEV, Karma), Rivian is actually U.S.-founded and funded, and we know who the leadership are. We have learned that FF is a scheme by the Chinese to steal U.S. ingenuity and talent, and transfer the technology they develop to China. The same crooked Chinese investor of FF is backing Lucid. Less is known about NextEV and Karma, but I suspect their motives as well.

Rivian's troubles are no different than those of any startup trying to survive in a capital-intensive industry with astronomical entry barriers. Here's hoping that Rivian -- a true American company -- succeeds.

Spool down there Adolph

on the hyper nationalism.

We don't know who the major financial backer(s) is for Rivian.

We know in a previous iteration they got money from the State of Florida because the founder's dad had a serious romantic relationship with a Florida legislator. He was trying to build a highly efficient ICEv using modern light weight materials. Now he have pivoted to BEV.

Jia Yueting has control of FF but is only the smallest of five major backers of Lucid Motors.

Less Pollution in China means less pollution in the world and particularly for us on the West Coast of the United States.

There is plenty of business for anyone willing to get in the BEV game because the legacy majors refuse to get in. At least in a major way.

BTW Tesla has every right to buy an Engineering firm in Germany and essentially hire ~600 top German engineers. Detroit companies hire Chinese engineers in China and Chinese firms are free to hire American engineers. Americans are not slaves to corporations that happen to incorporate here. And bottom line with decarbonizing the economy is we all live on one planet.