Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The first AP1 car upgraded to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I checked with Tesla today, my MCU having to be rebooted with the 2-minute scroll button hold, and they still will not put an MCU2 in it. So I am in that quandary. Do I go ahead and update the MCU one? Or do I wait. Not sure how long it'll take to die. It has been black on start three times now. Not three times in a row. Just three separate times this week.

I checked with Tesla today, my MCU having to be rebooted with the 2-minute scroll button hold, and they still will not put an MCU2 in it. So I am in that quandary. Do I go ahead and update the MCU one? Or do I wait. Not sure how long it'll take to die. It has been black on start three times now. Not three times in a row. Just three separate times this week.

You should just have your Emmc replaced ASAP!
Later on, if Tesla starts to upgrade to MCU2 on AP1 cars and you to make that upgrade, just send it to Tesla.

You should just have your Emmc replaced ASAP!
Later on, if Tesla starts to upgrade to MCU2 on AP1 cars and you to make that upgrade, just send it to Tesla.

thanks. I was going to do that but then Tesla lowered the price again. And there's the government investigation. Which means I might get a refund. And, I'm probably going to upgrade to an X pretty soon anyway. So. Another MCU1!

Thanks for sharing. I have a dec 2015 model S with AP1 and older front dome. My MCU1 just died 2 days back. I would like to upgrade To MCU2 like you rjscoder. Few challenges and some questions.
1. Version from mobile app. 2020.20.1 not sure if that’s the version inside MCU.
2. Where can I get the MC2/IC2/Tuner 2? Tried on eBay but could not find it.
3. What changes or wiring harness do I need if I have AP1.
4. How to have Tesla SC do it even if I can pay for these parts.
5. Can the MCU1 be recovered given that it’s EMMC chip is dead.

Thanks for sharing. I have a dec 2015 model S with AP1 and older front dome. My MCU1 just died 2 days back. I would like to upgrade To MCU2 like you rjscoder. Few challenges and some questions.
1. Version from mobile app. 2020.20.1 not sure if that’s the version inside MCU.
2. Where can I get the MC2/IC2/Tuner 2? Tried on eBay but could not find it.
3. What changes or wiring harness do I need if I have AP1.
4. How to have Tesla SC do it even if I can pay for these parts.
5. Can the MCU1 be recovered given that it’s EMMC chip is dead.
I received the following quote from the SC for the parts.
Wanted to check if these seem like the right ones or not. SC informed me that they will NOT be able to install it on my 2015 Tesla as its not eligible or doesn't have a bulletin.
Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 1.09.20 PM.png

Covered under warranty, no charge.
That's great news but I wouldn't plan on it as the "new norm" just yet for others reading this. I figured it was only a matter of time until Tesla had no more MCU1 to offer up and would be offering MCU2 as the only replacement (ala the smaller battery packs they no longer make) but didn't think it would happen this quickly. My guess is that, in your case, they didn't have any MCU refurbs to offer for replacement so they opted for an MCU2 as the secondary plan. Yours will probably be refurbished and then be available to the next person though which will get them through another 3-5 years and so on down the road. As time passes they will have fewer and fewer MCU1 refurbs to use for warranty exchange the number of MCU2 upgrades will increase. I just thought it would be longer until we saw this happening so this is great news for everyone with an MCU1 and a warranty.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP