Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Great HOV Sticker Hack (making your HOV stickers removable)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm getting mine color wrapped, so trying to figure out a way to apply that will come off.

If I buy some of the clear (something like this: 3M Scotchgard Clear Paint Protection Bulk Film Roll 6-by-60-inches https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004VG8DS0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_7m-OAb1FGF4R) on Amazon, can I then remove it after the program/when I get the new 2019 stickers ? Or will it take the colored wrap with it when I remove it?

I have xpel wrapped on mine. On two of the sticker, I put the HOV sticker on another strip of Xpel film I bought. Hopefully it will peel without damaging the bottom xpel. On one I accidently put the sticker on the underside, so I just cut a big square and apply it on top.

Question: For folks with the static vinyl (or similar "remove and restick" approach) ....
a) Does the material actually adhere at speed, in weather (rain) etc?
b) How many times can these things be removed and re-applied? 10 times? Or 100s of times? Does the material become "less sticky" over time?

I think my preference is for the magnetic approach -- this would be for a model 3 which I thought had steel trunk and fenders.
But the static-vinyl approach does have some plusses...
With the magnetic approach I'd have to place the decals higher off the bumper.
With the static-vinyl, etc, I could in theory place the decals down low on the bumper.
The static-vinyl solution would also solve the front decal issue -- I was considering putting the magnetic backed decal on the frunk.

I am (currently) not planning on actually having the decals on the car much.
I'd probably use the decals only for the occasional commute where I know the traffic will suck.
(My normal commute is reverse-traffic -- the highway is mostly empty, but occasionally I find myself doing cross town stuff like an airport run during rush hour. For these events, I sure could use the carpool lane.)

So I need something I can deploy many times.. not just a few times.

thx

Last edited:
I did this (before I saw this video I might add). I just found the PPF on Amazon, cheap, and did it just like this video. Works great, and when time comes to remove them they will come off.

However, I don' use alcohol on the car... I used 3m PPF soap mixture.

Can you remove and reapply more than once or is this more of a remove when expire and that's it?

Should be getting my HOV stickers soon and like Jeff, trying to strategize a way to be a key to apply and remove as needed. The purple stickers, or anycolor for that matter, look horrendous on any car. Haha.

Question: For folks with the static vinyl (or similar "remove and restick" approach) ....
a) Does the material actually adhere at speed, in weather (rain) etc?
b) How many times can these things be removed and re-applied? 10 times? Or 100s of times? Does the material become "less sticky" over time?

Adheres just fine. Mine stayed on for 4 years. Would not suggest removing and replying though. I finally removed mine due to expiration of my HOV privileges and it came off easily leaving no residue. It’s nice not having ugly stickers on my bumpers anymore.