Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Great HOV Sticker Hack (making your HOV stickers removable)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i have a nice sized sample of Opticoat PPF, so when I finally get pulled over and must put on those damned ugly stickers, I will stick them to the PPF, then I will attach the to the car using the PPF solution/glue. will come off easily with some warm steam/water later.

Will they stay on during the weather? I dunno... but I'll take that risk over putting that kind of crap on my paint!!

I hated my ugly, crooked sticker on my beautiful paint so I took a picture of it, then used a hair dryer to carefully remove it. Unfortunately it was destroyed in the process...but I still had my photo! And then, a funny thing happened..the government sent me a sticker! I keep in the glove box because there are no HOV highways where I live, but I've got it if I need it!
But seriously? Why would a cop question if a Tesla was electric or not?

I mean???

In CA... they are cracking down on cars having the sticker or not. There is a general "hate" of Tesla owners or expensive cars, so I think it can be a way to stick it to a Tesla driver who feels so entitled that they don't have to put the sticker on.

That's me of course.

I hated my ugly, crooked sticker on my beautiful paint so I took a picture of it, then used a hair dryer to carefully remove it. Unfortunately it was destroyed in the process...but I still had my photo! And then, a funny thing happened..the government sent me a sticker! I keep in the glove box because there are no HOV highways where I live, but I've got it if I need it!

I mean???

• Funny
Reactions: bnsfengineer
In CA... they are cracking down on cars having the sticker or not. There is a general "hate" of Tesla owners or expensive cars, so I think it can be a way to stick it to a Tesla driver who feels so entitled that they don't have to put the sticker on.

I don't see that attitude as much in Southern California. The bay area is a more like Europe. A bit more of a class envy attitude with the commensurate dislike of expensive cars. Not as many stickers and front license plates in these parts with a lower chance of receiving a infraction.

As Gridlok said "Why would a cop question if a Tesla is electric or not"?

I keep a copy of my registration in the glove compartment, despite the fact that the document says it (the original) must be kept in the car. Is a photocopy of the registration a forgery?

No, it's not. In fact, it's allowed by the CA Vehicle Code:
4454. (a) Every owner, upon receipt of a registration card, shall maintain the same or a facsimile copy thereof with the vehicle for which issued.

Same is not true for HOV stickers. ;)

• Informative
Reactions: commasign
On my previous 2 cars that had carpool access I placed on magnetic sheet and then cut it out...looked perfect and I took off anytime I was not commuting......Unfortunately Aluminum doesn't like magnets!!!:(
Alas, same experience here. Attaching the stickers to the magnetic material worked so nicely. Well, never worked on the bumper but those are all plastic now. Still looking to address for the Model X. Can’t seem to find the printable vinyl sticker material anymore.

Excellent! Did you have to cover entire area or just over the sticker?

The whole bumper was already wrapped in XPEL. Had everything on the car covered except the A-C pillars and the trunk lid. So they cut out some extra pieces of PPF barely larger than the stickers. So it goes Sticker -> PPF -> PPF -> Bumper. When the program ends can just pull the small piece of PPF off with the sticker attached and technically not damage the sticker or leave any of it behind on the car.

Reactions: MelaniainLA

With the new changes to state law, each Tesla will only have around four years of eligibility for the carpool lane. So merely "being a Tesla" won't really be sufficient to show entitlement to be in the lane. Besides, if you expect cops to recognize Teslas. do you also expect them to recognize all of the less common cars that are electric? Some sort of special marking that can be seen from fairy far off is necessary.

I can get my hands on PPF from body shop.
If I’m getting this right (assuming there is a adhesive backing on PPF)
1, stick HOV sticker directly on non-stick part of PPF
2, peel away backing on PPF and stick to car
3, removal PPF with water and heat?

The attitude of the Police officer can have much to do with your getting by or not.

If you are driving in a way that gets his attention, you are more apt to get pulled over.
A good defense is to drive in a safe and easy going manner. No reason for the cop to split hairs.
Crossing over a solid line is guranteed to put you in the cross hairs.

I have just the single, smaller sticker on the black part below the bumper. You really need to look for it when walking around the vehicle.

Near me, there is a center of the freeway exit. A motor officer sometimes sits on the top and pulls over single drivers. Quick and easy money for the government, and tends to keep people in compliance.

Not having a side sticker puts me at risk, but we waive to each other when I go by : >)