Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Great HOV Sticker Hack (making your HOV stickers removable)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
if it is the adhesive on the original that is too strong.... why don't you just put the original on the vinyl sicker paper and then cut out and voila, you have the original on the same less sticky vinyl that you made your copy on....... so no problems with legals and no problems for paint on car...... just my two cents
This is what I did.
Works great. I have the original stickers and it's not a problem to remove them when they're on the vinyl. I don't normally drive where I need the stickers so I just put them on when I head to the car pool lanes. They stick well even with wet, snow, dirt, etc.

Here is my 2 cents.
I can contour cut two 3M Clear Bra to match the HOV decal. You just sandwich the HOV decal in between. Removes with ease. $3.00
We also sell adhesive remover the works great with the Micro fiber cloth included $5.00
Will add to web site Monday.
www.teslapride.com
This sounds a bit like a solution in search of a problem. Unless I'm missing something, there's no need to put a layer of clear bra on top of the sticker, only below it.

My "contour cut" solution: I first stuck the HOV sticker on top of a rectangular scrap of clear bra, then cut around the shape of the sticker with a sharp pair of scissors. I peeled off the backing from this two-layer sticker and affixed the clear bra (bottom layer) to a clean spot on the car which had been sprayed with some soapy water. Press out the bubbles with the edge of a credit card; done.

I stuck mine directly on the black plastic behind the wheels, very low. They come off pretty easily. In fact, my first set fell off and I had to order a second. Wanted to make them as invisible as possible

I ditched the sides completely. However, I did place the back sticker low & offset right so its seen from behind and the right side. I figured so long as CHP could clearly identify one sticker, with the back and right sides being more universally watched, they'd leave me alone. If they don't, then I'll plead honest and pull the others out for proof. Thankfully we don't have the greenies! :eek:

All that matters is whether the cop pulling you over also believes that's where they belong. ;)

Yes, the glovebox approach may result in a difference of opinion.

If some of the ideas here prove easily doable, being able to quickly remove and replace the decals at will, I may amend my approach.

Half of me wants to just say screw it to this fugly looking California regulation, and the other half is right there with me.

Yes, the glovebox approach may result in a difference of opinion.

If some of the ideas here prove easily doable, being able to quickly remove and replace the decals at will, I may amend my approach.

Half of me wants to just say screw it to this fugly looking California regulation, and the other half is right there with me.

Love your style! FWIW, I spoke with FasTrak about alternative placement since my transponder is failing. They suggested I just provide my plate number to them and they'd enter it in the system. Apparently, they are already testing/relying on plate matching for standard charge and EV exemption processing. CHP shouldn't be too far behind and probably only too happy to get this babysitting off their backs. Wait it out!

In Sydney Australia, this is policed with traffic cameras. Violate and you get the love letter in the mail. Pretty well 100% of the time!!

I think it would be wonderful to have a similar set up in California. A license plate recognition system could easily confirm whether or not the vehicle is qualified. Reduced babysitting for the Highway Patrol and no silly stickers necessary for the Tesla!

Reactions: gabeincal
Sorry to resurface this thread, but the adhesive-backed printable vinyl is completely unavailable on Amazon. I found it on eBay for $111, which is clear price gouging - so I suspect these are no longer being made.

Anyone recommend an alternative source or product? I will never, ever, never put a sticker on my car. I also have a Cadillac ELR in addition to the Model X, but the trunk link on the ELR is metal so I am able to use the carpool sticker on top of the magnetic signage material. No can do with the aluminum X.

Sorry to resurface this thread, but the adhesive-backed printable vinyl is completely unavailable on Amazon. I found it on eBay for $111, which is clear price gouging - so I suspect these are no longer being made.

Anyone recommend an alternative source or product? I will never, ever, never put a sticker on my car. I also have a Cadillac ELR in addition to the Model X, but the trunk link on the ELR is metal so I am able to use the carpool sticker on top of the magnetic signage material. No can do with the aluminum X.
I used this product. It's designed for multiple times peel and stick. Works well but out of stock.
Crafty-Fab by Vinyl Oasis - Self-Adhesive Craft & Hobby Fabric - Inkjet Printabl | eBay
Search
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IZ65Z92/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How about getting rid of those ugly things?

I have three on my car and I took one off so far. The story behind removing it? First, it was not easy to remove. Second, brother in law almost used acetone nail polish remover!!!! to do it. We went with WD40 and it worked. But I'm scared it may do long term damage to paint so I haven't removed the other two yet.

Any other suggestions other than WD40? I've heard of Goo Gone? Any other alternatives to avoid damage to the bumper paint?

Goo gone will not hurt the paint. I used it to clean up the leftover adhesive when I debadged my MS and it's what any professional detailer would use for the job.

I just removed the other two HOV stickers - but they left the remainder "Void" white sticker portion of the HOV sticker. Most annoying thing. WD40 removed the adhesive left behind but now I have about a dozen small "void" white sticker type left-over. Horrible.

Just peeled them away - lightly/gently after spraying goo gone. Looks done. Cant see any residual. However, I can feel the outer line of the HOV sticker - can't see it but I feel it. Very light. It will bug me for the life of the car. Every time I clean it. Scared of rubbing too hard into it.

Last edited: