Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The high cost of repair is giving me pause on the purchase of the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I test drove the Model 3 this past weekend. This is one incredible sedan. It hits all the points; looks, well built, hi tech, speed, fun to drive, and just a beautiful piece of machinery. However...

I have been incredible stories that a mere dent in the door or quarter panel can cost up 5-8 thousand dollars to fix. And that worries me a bit. Are these stories unfounded or bit of a hidden gotcha?

Be realistic. Any dent should not cost that much to fix. Now if you need to replace a whole panel, yes it seems, based on what I have read you might be waiting more than normal. Now is that tolerable, for you, that depends on your situation.

Over the years I have spent a lot of time on mobile phone modding forums and other such technical forums. Out of all that experience I can say on this forum: There is plenty of spirit and good will (especially among Tesla owners); However there is also plenty of dis-information.

I am a recent new owner of a P3D+ with the experience of 5 weeks commuting and 2 trips (one over 10 hours). It has been awesome.
I live in cold weather which does affect range. Its tolerable and known. So not really a hidden gotcha.

My experiences have been much like your test drive. Its a great vehicle, so I relate.
From a value perspective I personally am impressed.

Is your history prone to repair and accidents?

In the 30 years of driving, i have not needed a body work. So that did not come to mind for me. Now speeding may be an issue, the Model 3 is too much fun and very fast for only $35K starting price. The fuel savings alone with my 30,000 miles per year driving make the base cost even cheaper. So go for it. The benefits out weight the hypothetical repair cost. Lets hope you are not ever in an accident.

I suspect most of these guys that have been members for about 20 minutes posting these things are all short sellers, or Tesla haters.

I suspect ALL people with "zero" issues with their multiple S, 3, X cars are Tesla long, or directly employed by the company - *sugar* goes both ways bro

You can always tell the real, new Tesla owners because they do the "Tesla Genuflection" before posting an issue here:

"Just bought my new Tesla, it's the greatest and most amazing car I've ever dreamed of owning - I can't imagine ever buying an ICE or any other car for that matter"
*crossing themselves*
"in the name of the Elon, the Reeve, and the Musk"
"I noticed that my new amazing car, designed by Elon - peace be upon him - the windshield cracked while sitting in my garage, and when I turned on the rear defroster, the rear window cracked.....while driving to the SC, an acorn or something hit my roof (I think.....) and the sunroof cracked - but its the best car I've driven and its on a flatbed now..."

"I plan on driving this car for the next 10 years!!! It's just like a Honda!"

Last edited:
I suspect ALL people with "zero" issues with their multiple S, 3, X cars are Tesla long, or directly employed by the company - *sugar* goes both ways bro
I’ve had tons of issues with our three Teslas but the service has been good for warranty repairs so far. About the same as our previous 3 Mercedes, better than BMW and Audi service. The service centers aren’t as nice and they not as good with communications, but Tesla claims that they are not using service as a profit center. Some Mercedes service centers look like a high end spa which makes you know you are getting ripped off.

• Love
Reactions: Brando

You can always tell the real, new Tesla owners because they do the "Tesla Genuflection" before posting an issue here:

"Just bought my new Tesla, it's the greatest and most amazing car I've ever dreamed of owning - I can't imagine ever buying an ICE or any other car for that matter"
*crossing themselves*
"in the name of the Elon, the Reeve, and the Musk"
"I noticed that my new amazing car, designed by Elon - peace be upon him - the windshield cracked while sitting in my garage, and when I turned on the rear defroster, the rear window cracked.....while driving to the SC, an acorn or something hit my roof (I think.....) and the sunroof cracked - but its the best car I've driven and its on a flatbed now..."

"I plan on driving this car for the next 10 years!!! It's just like a Honda!"

Epic rant...

I’ve had tons of issues with our three Teslas but the service has been good for warranty repairs so far. About the same as our previous 3 Mercedes, better than BMW and Audi service. The service centers aren’t as nice and they not as good with communications, but Tesla claims that they are not using service as a profit center. Some Mercedes service centers look like a high end spa which makes you know you are getting ripped off.

At least with a Merc/BMW you get real leather ;)

• Funny
Reactions: N5329K
The shorts would love for you to fall for their FUD and not buy a Tesla.

I ran over some debris on I-10 in Louisiana. Door had a dent with 2" deep scratch, and the rocker panel below it had a dent with 4" scratch.

Dropped my 3 off at Tesla's own body shop here in Houston on Monday the 22nd, they finished it Thursday and I picked it up on Friday. Estimate was $1,771.37, but it turned out to be less so they're working with my insurance to get a smaller check cut. I don't recall how much less, will know once the replacement check is issued.

Attachments

• IMG_1108.jpg
    IMG_1108.jpg
    539.4 KB · Views: 191
At least with a Merc/BMW you get real leather ;)
The vast majority of Mercedes are sold with MBTex which is pretty much the same thing as Tesla, unless you pay more or get a higher end model. BMW has something similar.

Our ML63 had Napa leather standard and had problems with creasing and wear on the seat bolster. Our Model S 60 had the Napa leather next gen seats which showed the same problems after about 2 years. The Tesla Ultraleather (it’s a brand name material) seats are rated at 400k rubs on the wyzenbeek abrasion rating, a good leather is rated around 30k. So I’m looking forward to my seats looking pristine for as long as I own the car.