Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The HUD Case - Mockup of what could be

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Audi's new Aicon Level 5 concept car has a full(ish) windshield HUD e.g. for calls.

How about video calls using the interior camera and windshield for the image from the other end? :) (When driving Level 3+ of course.)

audi_aicon_11.jpg

Electrek Model 3 review said:
The right scroll wheel does…nothing. It can be used for steering wheel and mirror adjustments, and pushing it brings up voice commands, but right now the scroll and tilt functions have no effect while driving the car. In the Model S, this wheel can be configured for many functions, including fan speed adjustments and cabin temperature. I’d like to see the ability to configure the right scroll wheel in a future software udpate, or perhaps it could intelligently switch functions depending on how the car is being driven.

So, who is with me in thinking the right scroll wheel is there for the future HUD? :)

Another thing that is IMO of interest are the button-operated Model 3 doors. I have not been able to find any proof that they'd be motorized and just disabled, but it would fit as an anti-sell to keep this feature away from Model 3 headlines until Model S gets it too...

And old post of mine rationalizing that Model 3 might have automatic doors, only disabled/hidden in software:

Model 3 and Model S doors are certainly a space to watch, if that FSD door-opening chauffeur magic is something Tesla believes in beyond PR videos. Also, there is the rumor of second-generation falcon wings and Model X facelift production code out in the wild...

When I last had an X as a loaner, I seem to recall seeing robust hardware in the door that allowed for the automatic opening and closing. And from what I recall from photos of the Model 3, I don't remember seeing anything like that.

Can you confirm on the X side of things? Or am I imagining things and it's all inside of the door panel?

Also, FWIW, it's been noted that there's a bunch of engineering that's gone into those doors and that they're fairly complex from a hardware and firmware standpoint. I'd assume that they didn't want to add one additional big point of failure when they're so focused on shaving costs and simplifying the build process.

My take is that they went with the electrical mechanism in the doors that they did on the 3 more so because it's easier/possible to control with firmware and that opens up potential for the future in terms of new features and functions.

I moved my post here before @dss33 posted the reply, so there is no confusion :) Rumor summary: Blind-spot cameras, Rain sensing, Level 3, Big battery, Interior/HUD

When I last had an X as a loaner, I seem to recall seeing robust hardware in the door that allowed for the automatic opening and closing. And from what I recall from photos of the Model 3, I don't remember seeing anything like that.

Can you confirm on the X side of things? Or am I imagining things and it's all inside of the door panel?

No, you are not imagining things. There is basically this thing that can push the door out as the need may be in Model X. And this is the thing that I've been looking for in Model 3 images and have not found there. So at this time I don't think there is anything much to this speculation. Just something fun I'd mention. Unless they designed some new system for it, though? The Electrek Model 3 review says the doors are a bit harder to close than normal... do they have disabled soft-close, later to be enabled?

Also, FWIW, it's been noted that there's a bunch of engineering that's gone into those doors and that they're fairly complex from a hardware and firmware standpoint. I'd assume that they didn't want to add one additional big point of failure when they're so focused on shaving costs and simplifying the build process.

My take is that they went with the electrical mechanism in the doors that they did on the 3 more so because it's easier/possible to control with firmware and that opens up potential for the future in terms of new features and functions.

All fair points. I guess the counter-point would be, how important are auto-doors for their FSD aspirations.

Reactions: dss33
I moved my post here before @dss33 posted the reply, so there is no confusion :) Rumor summary: Blind-spot cameras, Rain sensing, Level 3, Big battery, Interior/HUD

No, you are not imagining things. There is basically this thing that can push the door out as the need may be in Model X. And this is the thing that I've been looking for in Model 3 images and have not found there. So at this time I don't think there is anything much to this speculation. Just something fun I'd mention. Unless they designed some new system for it, though? The Electrek Model 3 review says the doors are a bit harder to close than normal... do they have disabled soft-close, later to be enabled?

All fair points. I guess the counter-point would be, how important are auto-doors for their FSD aspirations.

Totally. I'd assume self-opening doors aren't super important to FSD and the Tesla Network (think about how you get into an Uber now). I could see though, once the Network is fully operational, adding Model S and X to it at some point for luxury service and then, I could see self-opening doors being a nice differentiator that improve the experience. And if the S doesn't get that feature in the PUP package with the interior refresh, I'd be a little surprised. It's such an easy way to better differentiate it from the 3 AND the R&D has already been spent.

Reactions: AnxietyRanger