Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The M3 really drives like what they say

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that even with home charging, the rate of charging slows down at the end. Doesn't it?
Sure, but that would effect both cars about equally because it is the battery deciding on the rate. An EVSE that is the bottleneck will result in the smaller capacity battery reaching the target SoC earlier.

Not that any of this matters of course since we drive by energy in battery and not by SoC

Sure, but that would effect both cars about equally because it is the battery deciding on the rate. An EVSE that is the bottleneck will result in the smaller capacity battery reaching the target SoC earlier.

Not that any of this matters of course since we drive by energy in battery and not by SoC

If your target is the same SoC (say, 80%) the smaller battery gets there first. But if your target is the same range (say, 200 miles) that's a higher SoC for a smaller battery, so takes longer as the battery tells the charger to slow down as it fills up.

But I think we're arguing about a joke, since this all started with

Smaller batteries charge faster :)

Yes, I was joking. But, I think folks make too much out of the promised range on a Tesla M3. Did we routinely drive our gas cars completely to empty, even though we had to go to a stinky, nasty, germy, gas station and wait instead of conveniently plugging in at home? Our SR+ has never shown more than 231 miles of range and we've never needed more than 200 at a stretch.

If an owner is primarily searching for a driving experience, I think the SR+ makes a good case for itself, so do the experts at Mountain Pass Engineering. It's lighter. It is rear-wheel drive. On a 40A circuit at home, it charges at 33 MPH, which in our use case works out to be an hour and a half a night during off-peak (free energy). The dual motor has 30% more range and uses 14% to 16% more energy while doing so. The greater efficiency of the SR+ partially offsets the battery capacity deficit. Is it the fastest, the longest ranged, best-sounding M3? Nope. It might be the best handling.

Just saying the SR+ is a fine car and there is no shame in enjoying one. I have to be careful not to line up at a stoplight against DUal Motor anythings, but Mustang GTs are easy pickings. Fast enough for me ... :)

MPGe.JPG

Yes, I was joking. But, I think folks make too much out of the promised range on a Tesla M3. Did we routinely drive our gas cars completely to empty, even though we had to go to a stinky, nasty, germy, gas station and wait instead of conveniently plugging in at home? Our SR+ has never shown more than 231 miles of range and we've never needed more than 200 at a stretch.

I would never have gotten the LR if I'd known I was going to end up living on Maui. But since I paid for LR, I need to console myself somehow. So I keep in mind that the smaller portion of the battery you use, the longer the battery will last. Of course, these batteries are going to outlast the cars they're in.

If we ever had a solid week of heavy overcast, the big battery would mean I could wait longer before having to charge from the grid. But, no, the big battery is total overkill here.

I only charge at 15 amps, 240 volts, so that I can run the charger and the house A/C at the same time without drawing more than a very small amount from the Powerwall. This gives me 14 miles of range per hour of charging. I don't think I've driven more than 40 miles in a day since I got here. That was all the way to Lahaina, where I seldom go.

I think that even with home charging, the rate of charging slows down at the end. Doesn't it?

If you have a high current charger, like a HPWC at max amperage (72 amps on my model X) that would be about 18 kW. That will only slow if you charge somewhere above 90%. I believe my car is still charging near 30 kW at 90% and drops to around 5-6 kW as it approaches 100%.

There's the problem. I have an X P100D and have done numerous trips with it. I drive 125 miles each way every week with 100 miles (+ or -) at the destination. I always have to charge twice to get home because I can't get back home stopping at the mid-route charger on either leg. So I have to stop at the charger on both legs. So trying to compare a Tesla with 280 miles of "range" to an ICE with 280 miles of range is fallacious. With the ICE I can literally use as much of the range as I would like up to the last gallon of fuel because I know I can reach a filling station. With the Tesla I have to stop at this Supercharger because I have 100 miles of range left and the next charger is 120 miles away or even 90 miles away... too close to chance it.

Oh yeah, a lot of the Tesla Superchargers are at those very same stinky, nasty, germy? gas stations you mention.