Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The M3 really drives like what they say

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same as so many others. Twenty-minute drive in a friend's new dual-motor 3, and I was ruined. All the insane crap they're doing with engines and suspensions, and now the Tesla makes them all look like bulk wrap, and virtually no maintenance to boot. And, Tesla keeps tweaking things up more and more with their updates, along with making more and faster charging stations.

If you're working in the traditional car manufacturing business, it'd be a really good time to go ahead and retire.

Reactions: UTMB
For me, a slow learner, the drive continues to amaze me. I liken it to kayaking. To get strapped in to a kayak appropriately has your every move and shift affect the motion of the kayak. You become one with the kayak. Driving the model 3 is just like that. The, new, full regen braking and the instant torque makes for easy one-with-the car one pedal driving. Just an amazing feeling that still has me smiling with each drive.

Reactions: Big Earl and UTMB
Same as so many others. Twenty-minute drive in a friend's new dual-motor 3, and I was ruined. All the insane crap they're doing with engines and suspensions, and now the Tesla makes them all look like bulk wrap, and virtually no maintenance to boot. And, Tesla keeps tweaking things up more and more with their updates, along with making more and faster charging stations.

If you're working in the traditional car manufacturing business, it'd be a really good time to go ahead and retire.
So true!

Family member in town for Thanksgiving after driving my Model 3 for the first time: “You’ve talked and talked about what a great car it is, but you never told me how much fun it is to drive!” “I also really like the regenerative braking.” (Shakes their head in amazement when I tell them that one-pedal driving was installed as an OTA update.)

Last edited:
I plan on buying the car in either Feb or March (yes I know I’m missing the deduction). The decision matrix:
Prius - extremely reliable, Tesla average and not even close.

Prius- acceleration/handling essentially like a pig. Tesla - phenomenal. Not even close

Prius - replacement with prime with a good trim level is nearly 38k, Tesla-only about 10% more.

Prius - standard, but good tech. Tesla - bleeding edge and flexible, continuously improved until hardware ages out. This is a BFD form me. I tend to tire of a car after five years or so. Updates to the car may delay this considerably. Also the UI appears well thought out and updated often.This also impressed me during the test drive. Very intuitive, especially for geeks.

Prius - 600 mile cruising range. Tesla - nominal 200ish (sr+) depending on conditions. Not as easy for long distance travel, but doable.

cost of ownership quite low for both.

Tesla is a geek’s paradise. I am a geek.

Service for Prius - we have an excellent dealer here. Expensive, but well done. Tesla - likely a PITA. Closest brick and mortar service center in Atlanta two hours away (I am in Birmingham). Mitigated somewhat by mobile service.

Finally, the Prius, by any reasonable measure a great car for me, feels like a piece of $&@& compared to the model 3.

I am hoping there may be some incentives after the new year. Probably won’t be though, think.

Spent a lot of time considering the driving characteristics of the various M3 models. I thought the turn in of the SR+ on 19's was very nearly as sharp as the P+ on 20's and there is certainly a bit more of a rear wheel drive/rear weight bias, which made my Porsche 911 dreams come true (with a useable back seat and trunk).

We have not come up short in the range department during real-world use. The computer calculates 230 miles at 100%, but I never charge >90% and rarely even charge to 80%, so my numbers are probably off by a bit.

The LR version's interior lights and much better stereo w/ sub woofer is really a compelling reason to go for the LR (in addition to the range if you need it).

I have strongly considered buying an M3 (most likely an sr+) for sometime now and we finally made it to a dealer to test drive one. Going in, my thinking was that it was likely excellent, but unlikely to be as good as people have said. I figured it was fanboy talk. Wrong. It was very impressive, driving like no other car i have tested, feeling like it was on rails with stupid acceleration. Everything was very intuitive. I thought the ride was fine, not feeling overly stiff to me.

i am completely sold now. I will be ordering one in the spring.
The same thing happened to me! Visited California for Thanksgiving and stopped by a dealer to test drive. We ordered ours right there! It's been delivered to O'ahu, but we can't get a spot for it on the barge to Maui for 2 weeks. I'm dying to have it!

• Love
Reactions: Kleenerth3
Remember, no one has ever said "Boy, I wish I had gotten the smaller battery". Get the biggest battery, amortized over your ownership and resale it is a no brainer. How hard will it be to sell a S40 these days?
This is an excellent point. It is also a higher trim level. I have been wavering between the awd and the sr+. I can afford it. To purchase the former would require 2-3 additional months before buying. My father is advocating the same thing. I’ve hesitated because I have never spent anywhere close the 50k on a car before.

This is an excellent point. It is also a higher trim level. I have been wavering between the awd and the sr+. I can afford it. To purchase the former would require 2-3 additional months before buying. My father is advocating the same thing. I’ve hesitated because I have never spent anywhere close the 50k on a car before.
I feel the same way about cars. The first time I broke my promise to myself to never pay over $10k for a car was in 2004 when I bought a Prius for $27k. Fifteen years later I bought our Tesla for $40k. In real dollars about the same but a world of difference in cars.

I don't regret my Prius purchase one bit, and I'm pretty confident that my Tesla purchase is much better.

I had to test-drive the Roadster (in 2011) before buying it because circa 2006 I was given a ride in a prototype and the seats were horrid. My biggest concern about the 3 was that it's too big, but a friend let me drive his. It is too big, but it's manageable, and I REALLY wanted TACC. Not so much AP, though once I got up the courage to use EAP and get used to it, I would never want to be without it.

I got the LR so I could make the long drive from Spokane to Revelstoke (WA to BC). Made the drive once (EAP made that drive soooooooo easy!) and then ended up moving to Maui where LR is way overkill.

Test drive sold me as well. Didn't like the look of my coworkers model 3 but figured I'd give the performance test drive a shot since I was looking at an even more expensive charger hellcat. Hit the pedal once and was sold.

I've been in over hundreds of different vehicles due to my job during college. Hitting a gas pedal and the car taking a second to spin up and actually get going is one of the worst feelings in the world to me. I was judging cars based off of how bad they were at that before Tesla was even a company. Electric gets rid of that of that feeling completely. Throw in the absurd price per performance ratio and it's a no brainer. Have you noticed how I haven't even talked about the interior at this point (which I liked)?

I'm driving about an hour to a friends today and still excited to use it after over a year of ownership.

Bubba, it's funny reading a lot of these cuz I did it bass ackwards. I set up our house for solar and had it figured for EV charging. Then waited for one EV that had 300 mi range and was affordable. I knew then it would be between the Bolt and Tesla if Elon came through with his promise to build a decently priced one. Then- Boom, the 3. A few days after placing the order I got a message to test drive some 3's at a local SC. You couldn't wipe the stupid grin off my face for the rest of the week, until I picked it up, not with a pressure washer. I haven't felt anything like that since I was in my Uncle's'68 GT500 KR Shelby... And way more affordable. Nice to know that after all that homework, I freakin nailed it! :)