Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The M3 terrifies BMW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really? That leaves us with reason #1. :(

Sadly how the GM Volt should've taken over the Prius market but did not. Major fail #2 for GM - #1 being the EV1 fiasco.

Actually, it's in part because people blamed GM for EV1 that the Volt didn't take over the Prius segment - at least the highly commited very vocal part of it that went to the Leaf.

For the rest, there was a remarkable smear campaign against the Volt - I think it really worried the oil industry people. Do you know another recent car that had congressional hearings about it?

The campaign was surprisingly effective, too - I still come across people who think it's an electric car that strands you after 30-40 miles, and catches fire. Others say it's just like a Prius.

Fox News and some other folks went to great lengths to tar the car, without exactly lying - here's my favorite example, from the Fox commentary show "the Five" - notice how cleverly they imply they were stranded in the tunnel without actually saying it.

Fox Tests Volt, Runs Out Of Juice In Lincoln Tunnel

1. 10-20% of Tesla buyers are not concerned about GHG but buy the Tesla for the usual status reasons, it's expensive, rare and fast.
This is most likely true of any car over a certain amount, probably $30,000 or so.
1. For those who do care about GHG, owning a Tesla confers quite a but of status for being the ultimate in zero emissions and for all the regular status perks.
Those that do care about GHG probably don't care much about the status. And, for once, you got it exactly right. Status is confered, I can't buy a car and get status, it has to be given, since your the one that is harping on it incessantly, I guess we know who that person is.

It is sufficient to cut one's GHG by 50 to 80%. The average commute is 12.6 miles, just on home charging the BMW 300e would cut commuting GHG by 50%. If a work charger, by 100%. Add in all the driving that is within 10 miles of the home, some 80% and a BMW300e driver could reduce their GHG significantly.
Since most people also want to go home from work the average round trip is then about 25 miles, so by your math the average BMW300e driver could reduce their GHG by about half of what you're estimating.

Nope just that a few Teslerati who are posting here including the orginal poster are terrrifed of the BMW300e as demonstrated by their frenetic posts and hysterical attacks on the BMW300e.
Actually, I'd venture to say that most of the people here have been posting in response to your intial frenetic and hysterical defense of the BMW and continued failure to acknowledge the validity of anyone else's opinion.

I wont be replying to you again though since I've discovered the ignore button and will be making use of it after I post this.

I find it easier to enjoy this site since I used the ignore. It would be one thing if he stated his viewpoint and went on, but to beat it like a dead horse is just pitiful.
This is nothing, did you read the "Tesla must hate me because they wont tell me my place in line" thread? In fact, from reading that thread and this thread, I get the impression he doesn't like Tesla Motors, he doesn't like Tesla customers, and he prefers vehicles from other companies - I'm not sure why he's here .... oh wait, troll, that's it.

Status is confered, I can't buy a car and get status, it has to be given, since your the one that is harping on it incessantly, I guess we know who that person is.
Interesting point there. For the most part I'm embarrassed when people see my X, and realize how expensive it is. Especially if it's someone I know. Except, strangely, some very old acquaintances that I didn't really like in high school. Them I kinda want to point and say "see!! I totally made it in the world!! How's your life been going, eh?" Then there's that same person in this thread that I would love to shove it in his face, even though I've never met him.

The most compelling of a bunch of uncompeling cars? What a compelling argument. :)

You may want to read the other Chevy Bolt threads, but there are plenty of folks who buy Leafs, FITs, Qube', Versa's, etc...

Those either have just as "interesting" styling, or aren't necessarily considered long-range EV's, yet they sell. I expect the Bolt to compete in that segment.

The thing is...? The threshold for 'enough' would be 200,000 units per year or more. And General Motors has already noted they have no intention of selling that many units of the Chevrolet BOLT -- ever. They also have no plans to sell that many of the Chevrolet VOLT per year. Two cars that if marketed properly, would absolutely destroy the Toyota Prius, and GM doesn't want to sell them to anyone.

Do you have something to support the "And General Motors has already noted they have no intention of selling that many units of the Chevrolet BOLT -- ever." assertion?

I've seen that they don't expect to sell above a specific # of units initially, but not what you are claiming.

You may want to read the other Chevy Bolt threads, but there are plenty of folks who buy Leafs, FITs, Qube', Versa's, etc...

Those either have just as "interesting" styling, or aren't necessarily considered long-range EV's, yet they sell. I expect the Bolt to compete in that segment.
Interesting styling. You are too kind.

Let me put it my way. I don't want a "pocket protector" car.

That's why I'm so attracted to the MS and M≡.

Interesting styling. You are too kind.

Let me put it my way. I don't want a "pocket protector" car.

That's why I'm so attracted to the MS and M≡.
I'm not big on it myself.

But, unlike the 330i, the range/price breaks new ground for existing automakers.

While certainly the Model 3 is major competition.. I think only assuming that the usage cases must include some things the Model 3 provides (DCFC, sedan styling, etc...) ignores a market segment that already buys the "pocket protector cars", as you call them. This happens to be the first med-long range BEV available to them.

Reactions: Red Sage and Alketi
Can we all agree that aesthetics aren't science and are therefore completely subjective? Yes, there are trends and styles, but thankfully there are differences in our preferences, or we'd never discover anything interesting.

I'm certain the designers of the Bolt think it's a great looking car. Tesla enthusiasts who love the styling of a Tesla are unlikely to align with the design choices on that vehicle. However, it may be a more familiar look to someone coming from another traditional American vehicle.

I don't really care either way. Just get in a BEV as soon as you can.

I'm sorry, but you are misrepresenting that group. They are mixtures of people who do not share *your* preferences, and people who have different priorities. Everybody has an opinion, even if it is only an amalgam of childhood memory and old TV shows.
Absolutely there are people who don't share my preferences...that's why cars have "options". And as I said before...I'm good with that.

My point was this. I'm a male. Even if I have an opinion and have a right to vote...I should have enough within me not to vote on female products. However I know that it takes a whole lot of self control for people to "be quiet" in environments where they have latitude to do whatever they want.

No, I don't think that anyone in the forum should be quiet on any topic. Speak you peace. I certainly have. This is my 1400th post since the release date.

I love hearing what EVERYONE has to say unless they are me. LOL

• Disagree
Reactions: ScepticMatt
Can we all agree that aesthetics aren't science and are therefore completely subjective? Yes, there are trends and styles, but thankfully there are differences in our preferences, or we'd never discover anything interesting.

I'm certain the designers of the Bolt think it's a great looking car. Tesla enthusiasts who love the styling of a Tesla are unlikely to align with the design choices on that vehicle. However, it may be a more familiar look to someone coming from another traditional American vehicle.

I don't really care either way. Just get in a BEV as soon as you can.
I agree, it's only when say, GM CEO likes to throw shade at it's competitor, Tesla, for no good reason. IF you're coming to compete against Tesla, compete, don't half-ass the creation of your first BEV. Otherwise, GM should just be happy it's putting a BEV out in the market.