Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The M3 terrifies BMW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not a lawyer but parody is fair use in the USA. Doesn't mean a DMCA takedown notice won't work though, YouTube seems to almost always bow to them even when the video in question is clearly fair use.
Soooo, let's give this a try... Totally parody and for fun.

(Note to self: need to take out half the words and talk slower. This is harder than it looks!)

She looks pissed off at the end of the video. "Why did I end up with this stupid half a$**d bimmer?!" ;)
Yeah, thought about that. In fact, that's a very interesting reveal that drove the whole rewrite. She is disappointed with the car. It's apparent that she' s an intelligent professional woman, so there had to be a story behind the scenes that would have caused her to buy the car. Was she duped? Too strong. Misled, deceived? Yep! Look at BMW's website. The "EV with the sporty elegance of BMW" phrase is from their own site, so the overall message I wanted to deliver was that BMW is promising something new and better, but when you look at the reality of the numbers and how it works, it's not much different than a plug-in Prius. Mind you, the PiP is a nice car, for what it is, but revolutionary it is not.

So the pissed-off look is supposed to align with the "and now, she's late" line (hard to line these up without a lot of practice!). That brought the final line to "just another hybrid", completing the message. What's key here is that the fuss of charging (at 120v) meant that she was spending her valuable time doing marginally useless things managing the car, instead of doing more productive things. Hence she's pissed at being late, because of her disappointing choice of the car.

Anyway, it was a fun exercise. I have a new-found appreciation for the marketing folks who put these sorts of ads together. It's hard to simplify the words to fit the time, and to align the words and the visuals. It would have been easier if I had access to a female voice, so the text could have been in the first person, especially "and now, I'm late" would have been perfect for that look.

Last edited:
If you had wanted to be nasty (but funny), you could have gently pointed out that the slow charge left her alone in the middle of the night. "Small" print at the end could mention that she is a Karate black belt, and viewers at home should NOT act this way with their plug-ins.
Yes, but she doesn't look worried about being there, just annoyed. The thing is, with such a small battery, BMW claims the 3.25 hr charge time as an feature (talk about marketing!), so I had to focus on the marginal use-case for the 14 mile EV range itself. How ridiculous to waste time charging for that range, she realizes, when the super charger-enabled Teslas got an order of magnitude more range in a fraction of the time. It's all there, written in her facial expressions and the way she yanks out the plug and slams the charge door shut.

Reactions: Red Sage
This is a gross error. Almost nobody is average.

Chuckle...actually EVERYBODY is what the average is based upon.

Considering the BMW300e like all the Teslas including the T3 are for higher income demographics, the commute distances are likley less so the 300e would mean a typical owner would be on the high side of GHG gas emissions reduction. Good stuff.

The initial Model 3 cars probably won't be coming off the assembly line for at least another year and you think the Model Y will start rolling out within 6 months of then? I'm guessing Tesla will be focusing on quality and scaling the Model 3 for at least a year of production before the Y shows up. So that would be closer to 2.5 years.
You are very likely correct. But quite some time ago... Possibly at TesLive in 2013...? Elon noted that if possible, he would love to introduce a new car every year. He wants Tesla Motors to be a full line manufacturer of vehicles. Just to prove that it can be done. Of course, he probably knows a lot more about the difficulties of design and manufacture now and may realize that would be extremely hard to manage. That said, I maintain the belief that Franz Von Holzhausen has not been sitting on his hands since the initial Model X prototype unveiling in early 2012.

Reactions: SΞXY P100D
Do you have something to support the "And General Motors has already noted they have no intention of selling that many units of the Chevrolet BOLT -- ever." assertion?

I've seen that they don't expect to sell above a specific # of units initially, but not what you are claiming.
I'm working from the personal knowledge that General Motors typically cancels cars that sell below about 35,000 units per year that aren't named 'Corvette'. Because of that, I find it surprising that: 1) The VOLT has never sold over 25,000 units in the US; and 2) GM announced that they would be offering 30,000 units of the BOLT per year. Now early on, they had stated their intent was to have up to as many as 60,000 units per year of VOLT and BOLT combined... But later, they said instead that they would be able to have as many as 50,000 of the BOLT per year, if the demand was there. It is mighty strange the the Chevrolet Division offers two plug-in vehicles that are each below that 35,000 unit threshold -- as a planned Production level. It is not a lot of cars, and does not compute against historical data at all. By comparison, the Chevrolet SPARK managed over 30,000 units in US sales for three calendar years straight. Of course, the SPARK EV was only 2,629 of the 2015 total... And 30,000 units for BOLT is far more than the SPARK EV. But for a company with the money and manufacturing capacity of GM that ten-fold increase in pure electric cars is rather piteous when Tesla Motors will likely sell more than that of Model ☰ in the final quarter of 2017 alone.

Reactions: Chopr147
That average means 50% of people have a longer commute. .. we can't be more definitive since they do not report the standard deviation, but a large percrntage will be beyond range ... both ways.

No. That would be the median.

Average means that everyone taken as a whole commutes 12.6 miles one way commute.

The small band of Teslerati terrified by the BMW plug in ad using the T3's long delivery time and aiming at T3 customers, on average most T3 buyers were not bothered by it. Ironically, those of little faith were the most terrified.

OK, so GM hasn't "noted their intention" as you stated, and you are assuming what may happen.
Assuming is about all we have. It's not a court of law here. :) And Red Sage seems to know what he's talking about. I think it's pretty obvious GM is not trying real hard for a mass produced EV. They could do much better if they really wanted to. Auto manufacturers have perfected the ICE engine after all these years . It is pretty amazing the HP they have managed coupled with better MPG.

Reactions: Red Sage and Jaff

Assuming is about all we have. It's not a court of law here. :) And Red Sage seems to know what he's talking about. I think it's pretty obvious GM is not trying real hard for a mass produced EV. They could do much better if they really wanted to. Auto manufacturers have perfected the ICE engine after all these years . It is pretty amazing the HP they have managed coupled with better MPG.
I expect that if it's asserted that somebody has "noted their intention".. that it's actually been.. uh... "noted".

Seems simple.

• Disagree
Reactions: Chopr147
Chuckle...actually EVERYBODY is what the average is based upon.

:rolleyes:

Considering the BMW300e like all the Teslas including the T3 are for higher income demographics...

The (about to be MASS produced) Model 3 is for the average EVERYBODY since the average purchase cost for new cars is something like $32,000 - can't remember the exact number, but it's been posted on this forum a number of times, anyone feel free to pull that number up again for this average EVERYBODY poster.