Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The M3 terrifies BMW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From BMW Blog yesterday Is the BMW 330e misunderstood?

Summary: These ads have caused a stir. Tesla fans get fussy over very little. We understand electric cars, but apparently not plug-in hybrids. The author points out that the average American drives less than 40 miles a day. Then goes on to compare the 330e to the Chevy Volt. At least the newer Volts can get over 50 plus miles electric versus 14!

Last edited:

Summary: These ads have caused a stir. Tesla fans get fussy over very little. We understand electric cars, but apparently not hybrids. The author points out that the average American drives less than 40 miles a day. Then goes on to compare the 330e to the Chevy Volt. At least the newer Volts can get over 50 plus miles electric versus 14!

Yeah, it's funny how he goes from Tesla people are too sensitive to folks don't understand plug in hybrids, and kinda skips past the 330e being a rather poor implementation of a plug in hybrid, with neither the electric range nor the electric power to make big improvements.

Yeah, it's funny how he goes from Tesla people are too sensitive to folks don't understand plug in hybrids, and kinda skips past the 330e being a rather poor implementation of a plug in hybrid, with neither the electric range nor the electric power to make big improvements.
If one believes that the advert was targeted towards Tesla wannabees, the author better tread lightly with criticism.

Reactions: SΞXY P100D
:rolleyes:

The (about to be MASS produced) Model 3 is for the average EVERYBODY since the average purchase cost for new cars is something like $32,000 - can't remember the exact number, but it's been posted on this forum a number of times, anyone feel free to pull that number up again for this average EVERYBODY poster.
That average vehicle sales price has about the same utility as the average miles per day number, albeit for a different reason:

The high average sale price includes expensive vehicle classes that do not x-shop the small TM3 sedan.

Summary: These ads have caused a stir. Tesla fans get fussy over very little. We understand electric cars, but apparently not plug-in hybrids. The author points out that the average American drives less than 40 miles a day. Then goes on to compare the 330e to the Chevy Volt. At least the newer Volts can get over 50 plus miles electric versus 14!

The author of this blog exemplifies "it seems as if many (BMW blogger) people simply don’t understand" electric vehicles. It appears that BMW "fans get fussy over very little" when it comes to an honest analysis of the 330e shortcomings.

"In fact, it’s almost proven that (electric vehicles) are misunderstood."

I couldn't agree more.

“Why buy a car that can only travel 30 (or so) miles on the battery when I can buy a Tesla that can drive [insert whatever the Model 3 ends up doing]?”

I can't think of any good reason, especially when that PHEV (330e) is almost twice the cost of a Tesla 3!

"However, if you wanna take a road trip that will be a few hundred miles, you don’t need to stop every few hours and wait 45 minutes while the car charges. Just stop, fill up on gas and get to where you need to go."

Has the author ever heard of bathroom and restaurant stops along the way of a trip of a "few hundred miles."

Just stop and get a charge since you are going to be stopping anyway, and get where you need to go! And exactly where am I going to plug in that 330e on a trip of a "few hundred miles"?

"However, plug-ins offer a great transition for customer while the infrastructure for EVs continues to build."

Yes, BWM is NOT investing in the infrastructure for the future while Tesla is investing in that proprietary infrastructure with a vengeance! It just goes to show where BMWs priorities lie!

"So while they might be misunderstood, plug-in hybrids are great economy cars for today’s world."

$60,000+ is now defined as an "economy car"? o_O

"While they may not pave the way for the future..........."

And therein lies the problem with the author's fuzzy thinking. He just doesn't get it!

Oh BTW Mr. author, I do understand plug in vehicles since I now drive a plug in Prius. And I am willing to WAIT for my Tesla 3 which I have on reservation. You betcha! But thank you for attempting to point out the error of my priorities. :p

Last edited:
Not sure if this was brought up, but we need to remind ourselves pretty soon we will be comparing the Model 3 to the BMW M3. All this rant of comparing the Model 3 with non-compelling vehicles - such as the 330e and i3 - has really sidetracked this thread from the true essence of Tesla's latest offering.

BMW is terrified of the Model 3 because it's a threat to their entire lineup of 3-Series, from base model to top of the line M performance model, and even outside of that series. If we think from that perspective, then we should be able to engage in more meaningful discussion.

650x366

The Prius plug in did horrible in sales because the cost over the non plugin couldn't be justified. I don't think this BMW is a competitor with the M3 but it does give you pretty good mileage in a 3 series. I commute 12 miles each way to work so I could use a car like that and it's available now. If the M3 wasn't coming out soon I see nothing wrong with buying this car. I currently own a Prius and refuse to buy a Volt. There are not many options out there. The fact they compared this car to the Model3 was the mistake

Reactions: Red Sage
The (about to be MASS produced) Model 3 is for the average EVERYBODY since the average purchase cost for new cars is something like $32,000 .

T3 base in $35,000 plus home charging station ($1,200 installed). People do spend more than they can really afford on cars. A basic financial site will tell you 10-20% total car price to yearly income. So T3's are going to be for top 25% income earners and those with ability to home charge.

And at 300,000 T3's two-three years from now is not "mass produced" in a yearly car market of 17,500,000 cars/light trucks. It is a high priced specialty car. Not Tesla's fault but those are the market facts.

If we are going to cut GHG by 80% by 2050 we need to sell a lot of BMW 330e's, i3's, i8's, Prius, Ford, Mercedes, GM, Audi, Volvo et all hybrids and plug-ins.

We should be hoping BMW sells out on the 330e plug-in. It's actually going to help Tesla sales and the Teslerati here who are terrified of the BMW 330e have nothing to fear but fear itself.

If we are going to cut GHG by 80% by 2050 we need to sell a lot of BMW 330e's, i3's, i8's, Prius, Ford, Mercedes, GM, Audi, Volvo et all hybrids and plug-ins.
By 2050 these hybrids would be extinct, a distant memory, like the way of the dinosaurs. By that time a new breed of pure EV cars would have been flourishing for decades, beginning today...

...that is if climate change doesn't drown civilization underwater first. :eek:

Reactions: Red Sage
T3 base in $35,000 plus home charging station ($1,200 installed).
I know a lot of it is dependant on location, but $1,200 to have a 240 volt outlet installed seems excessive. The vast majority of posts on it that I've seen put it in the neighborhood of a few hundred dollars. Yes, some people may need service upgrades or additonal panels or some other additional service, but for those people I would hope that they would take that into account.

People do spend more than they can really afford on cars. A basic financial site will tell you 10-20% total car price to yearly income. So T3's are going to be for top 25% income earners and those with ability to home charge.
Can you provide a source for that 10-20% recomendation? According to the 2014 census the median household income was a bit over $53,000 dollars, using the 10-20% figure the median car purchased would be 5,000 - $10,000. Forget your 25% figure, your well into the 91st percentile of income to even be able to afford a $35,000 car. Yes, people often spend more on things than they should, but there's no way half the country is spending that much more on a car than what your 10-20% says they can afford.

Perhaps the 10-20% is for payments? That sounds much better, and then it makes the car much more affordable to everyone.

We should be hoping BMW sells out on the 330e plug-in. It's actually going to help Tesla sales...
How?

I'm working from the personal knowledge that General Motors typically cancels cars that sell below about 35,000 units per year that aren't named 'Corvette'. Because of that, I find it surprising that: 1) The VOLT has never sold over 25,000 units in the US; and 2) GM announced that they would be offering 30,000 units of the BOLT per year. Now early on, they had stated their intent was to have up to as many as 60,000 units per year of VOLT and BOLT combined... But later, they said instead that they would be able to have as many as 50,000 of the BOLT per year, if the demand was there. It is mighty strange the the Chevrolet Division offers two plug-in vehicles that are each below that 35,000 unit threshold -- as a planned Production level. It is not a lot of cars, and does not compute against historical data at all. By comparison, the Chevrolet SPARK managed over 30,000 units in US sales for three calendar years straight. Of course, the SPARK EV was only 2,629 of the 2015 total... And 30,000 units for BOLT is far more than the SPARK EV. But for a company with the money and manufacturing capacity of GM that ten-fold increase in pure electric cars is rather piteous when Tesla Motors will likely sell more than that of Model ☰ in the final quarter of 2017 alone.
Isn't GM forced into the EV market by some mandate? I read where they have not truly been interested in EV.

The biggest question to be asked in this thread is whether we're the Teslerati or the Teslarati. I mean, I don't drive a Tesle, does anyone else?
I was going to call him out on that as almost every post has him spelling it out that way. I remember seeing it spelled correctly once. Instead of making new arguments, he's rehashing the same post over and over again. This goes for the people that mistake break for brake too!