Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The M3 terrifies BMW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes they will as I have been told. What scares me is they will produce and sell many of the M3 and the service centers are already backed up. I would ha w to drive 20 miles to get my car repaired then have to pick it up. So a loaner is one thing. I work 50-60hrs a week sometimes 12hr days. I want to spend my free time relaxing or with my family. Not getting my brand new car fixed constantly. I'm so excited for the M3 to be released and love the driving experience Tesla offers. I can handle a few hiccups. Constant problems will ruin my experience
Just command your car to drive itself to your workplace once it's fixed. Same thing with the loaner car by commanding it to drive back to the dealership. BERRY NAAASSSS huh? ;)

Like some have mentioned, the service centers are overwhelmed these days. I really hope the M3 is an example of what Tesla has learned as a young upstart with the S and X issues. If not, additional SC's may not be enough and they could get bogged down in their own sh*&^
Tesla fan or not people will only take so much inconvenience . One other thing: IK Tesla gives loaners for the S and X but will they continue that with the 3?

Seems like most Tesla owners are ok with growing pains and problems with their MS and MX. I read a article which applys to myself. The target of the 35k buyer is not so tolerant of their car being in the shop constantly. This is because this demographic of buyer works long hours and sometimes only has one car to drive. If the M3 has constant problems the 1st year of release and other companies such as BMW build a reliable car Tesla might be in trouble. I'm in love with the Tesla brand but I plan on spending 55k on a M3 which will be my 1st new car purchase. I will be very upset if it is constantly in the shop.
The 35k buyer is going to be just fine, because there will be at least a couple hundred thousand cars built and in service before their car is built. The "maxed out" Model 3s will be delivered first, and those are going to people in similar income brackets to the Model S and X, or to Tesla and SpaceX employees. Assuming your sweeping generalizations have any merit, the long-hour-working-one-car-owning base model buyer should be getting the benefit of early adopter mindset individuals.

Reactions: Red Sage
M3 is all on paper. Lots of hype.. But the car is just not there.
What!?! You're kidding right? Have you been stuck on an island for the past 5 months? Tesla gave test drives of the car in pretty much production condition at the unveiling of it....check em out, they're on YouTube. And the website says $35,000, this is beyond paper now.

What!?! You're kidding right? Have you been stuck on an island for the past 5 months? Tesla gave test drives of the car in pretty much production condition at the unveiling of it....check em out, they're on YouTube. And the website says $35,000, this is beyond paper now.

Plus:

(1) "Pencils down" confirmed.
(2) On August 1, Electrek reported that Tesla had been ordering enough parts over the previous two months for 300 Model 3 prototypes (presumably they won't make that many prototypes as some of the parts will be used for testing). Tesla Model 3: Tesla is ordering enough parts for a fleet of ~300 prototypes

So far so good, it would seem ....

Last edited:
OK, so GM hasn't "noted their intention" as you stated, and you are assuming what may happen.
It's not an assumption, it is an observation. General Motors has limited their exposure to Production and potential Sales of plug-in vehicles to the level at which they would ordinarily CANCEL a project. That indeed telegraphs their full intention to cancel both, any, and all plug-ins the instant they don't need to offer them anymore. They haven't even bothered to offer the bare minimal 1% of their best selling passenger cars, Malibu and Cruze, as either fully electric or plug-in hybrid. Likely because they do not want to associate plugging in with their cash cow cars in any way.

That is why I give some credit to Ford for at the very least offering a fully electric version of their best selling car in the world, the Focus. Ford also offers the Fusion Energi and C-MAX Energi as plug-ins. Note that there is no fully electric version of BMW's best selling vehicle in the US and worldwide -- the 3-Series. And the piteous 330e has only 70% the fully electric range of the Fusion Energi that costs thousands less. During the month of July 2016, the 330e only sold 14.7% as many units as the i3. Maybe BMW should rethink their strategy?

Dispute my position if you wish. But these are valid conclusions given the evidence. Once again, as your Friendly Neighborhood Over-the-Top Optimistic Tesla Motors Certified Apologist Fanboy...? I reserve the right to be just that pessimistic of the minimal efforts and continual delay tactics employed by traditional automobile manufacturers and call them out for the [BOLSHEVIK] they are: a desperate attempt to make it seem as if they are sincerely attempting to look to the future with fuel efficient new technology vehicles when in fact that is the very last thing on their minds.

Isn't GM forced into the EV market by some mandate? I read where they have not truly been interested in EV.
Every automobile company that sells vehicles in the Great State of California, and presumably other CARB States, must offer at least 1% of their sales in that territory as zero emissions vehicles. If they do not, there are fines to be paid for non-compliance. There may be some exemptions for those firms that sell a minimal number of cars.

If you can't spell ludicrous then you can't order it. That's a new Tesla rule.
"I can't spell 'VW', but I got a Porsche!" -- Julie Brown, 'Cause I'm a Blonde'

"I just want to say that being chosen as this month's Miss August is like, a compliment I'll remember for as long as I can. Right now I'm a freshman in my fourth year at UCLA, but my goal is to become a veterinarian, 'cause I love children."

In California (and maybe a few more states), yes (sort of). In the entire USA, no but they are subject to an increasing average cooperate MPG CAFE, which is essentially unachievable without either EVs, highly underpowered diesels, or highly underpowered hybrids.

Unless there's a technology revolution.
Precisely. This is why those traditional automobile manufacturers that DO make zero emissions cars lobbied the California Air Resources Board (CARB) to give them additional benefits. That is, the Zero Emissions Vehicles (ZEV) Credits they receive in CARB States are multiplied by a specific factor based upon the type of qualifying vehicle they provide. Those ZEV Credits, which are offered because of emissions at the State level, can be converted to modify their Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) rating at the Federal level. I think the minimal level of modification is a factor of five. So, each high MPGe vehicle offered in California or other CARB States is counted as at least five cars on their CAFE rating. This explains why Toyota was motivated to offer so few of the Mirai -- 1,000 units worldwide per year, for three years -- with maybe half of those going to California Customers. Hydrogen Fuel Cell Electric Vehicles currently get the highest amount of ZEV Credits per vehicle in CARB States under current regulations. They only have to build about 1% of their total offerings as zero emissions, and those can be applied as at least 5% against their fuel economy ratings, and that grows even higher dependent upon the ZEV Credit ratings per each. Yet Naysayers want to claim it is Tesla Motors that is 'gaming the system'...

I'm just going to put this here...

View attachment 190420

Hopefully whoever created this will keep updating it. The next 18 months ought to be interesting to watch.
I may have mentioned before... Take note that BMW stopped counting the 4-Series as part of the 3-Series Sales Totals as of June 2015, when this precipitous dropoff began.

• Informative
Reactions: EVie'sDad
I doubt BMW is scared (for now). M3 is all on paper. Lots of hype.. But the car is just not there. That $35k starting price, the mass production in 2018 etc. All is based on very very optimistic assumptions.

Let just not be overly optimistic and remind ourselves that there is still a long way to go.
The problem isn't that the Model ☰ 'is just not here'. The problem for BMW is that their 'independent franchised dealerships' are complaining that when they contact longtime, loyal Customers, the ones who have bought a new car from them like clockwork every three years for fifteen years, to ask if they'd like to come in to see their latest cars...? They have been told those folks are, "Waiting for the NEW Tesla..." It really hurts when your cold calls to known entities, valued customers, guaranteed leads, are shut down by the simple query, "You guys have anything fully electric in the lineup?"

That was bad enough three years ago, when they weren't coming in for the 7-Series (they still aren't)... and those cars took several weeks longer to sell per unit. Because everyone and their Grandmother's Sister Sarah preferred to wait three months for a car they ordered over the internet instead of driving away in something that was in the showroom TODAY. It is way worse when they aren't coming in to get the car that keeps the lights on. And they are willing to wait up to two years for it. That's a long time for someone to not darken your door, especially when all evidence shows that once you go electric, you never go back to ICE.

It isn't like when someone decides not to get a car from PENSKE BMW... Because they got something from PENSKE Acura... or PENSKE Lexus instead. Because there is no PENSKE Tesla -- ANYWHERE.

I'm sure the 'independent franchised dealerships' all demanded that BMW 'DO something!' So they did. And this advertising campaign is it.

I may have mentioned before... Take note that BMW stopped counting the 4-Series as part of the 3-Series Sales Totals as of June 2015, when this precipitous dropoff began.

So why is it still going down. If they changed their reporting methods, there should be a cliff, and then the slope continuing as it was before.

I would ha w to drive 20 miles to get my car repaired then have to pick it up.

The plan (according to Elon) is to send someone in your replacement car, to pick up your car, and then return it when done.

Thank you kindly

Precisely. This is why those traditional automobile manufacturers that DO make zero emissions cars lobbied the California Air Resources Board (CARB) to give them additional benefits. That is, the Zero Emissions Vehicles (ZEV) Credits they receive in CARB States are multiplied by a specific factor based upon the type of qualifying vehicle they provide. Those ZEV Credits, which are offered because of emissions at the State level, can be converted to modify their Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) rating at the Federal level. I think the minimal level of modification is a factor of five. So, each high MPGe vehicle offered in California or other CARB States is counted as at least five cars on their CAFE rating. This explains why Toyota was motivated to offer so few of the Mirai -- 1,000 units worldwide per year, for three years -- with maybe half of those going to California Customers. Hydrogen Fuel Cell Electric Vehicles currently get the highest amount of ZEV Credits per vehicle in CARB States under current regulations. They only have to build about 1% of their total offerings as zero emissions, and those can be applied as at least 5% against their fuel economy ratings, and that grows even higher dependent upon the ZEV Credit ratings per each. Yet Naysayers want to claim it is Tesla Motors that is 'gaming the system'...
My "favorite" is the "flex-fuel" vehicle, which is one huge government subsidy for domestic SUV production since it keeps the local manufacturers fairly CAFE compliant.

So why is it still going down. If they changed their reporting methods, there should be a cliff, and then the slope continuing as it was before.
Oh, I agree! It is going down, continually, because of the Tesla Model ☰. Just pointing out the slope of the graph might not be quite so harsh if 4-Series Sales were added to 3-Series. It would be nice to see them listed both separately and combined on the chart. Because if there is a similar precipitous drop since June 2015 on both, without a corresponding increase in other BMW sales (as some have suggested) it will support the notion that the Model ☰ is already killing 3-Series sales.

Reactions: SΞXY P100D
My "favorite" is the "flex-fuel" vehicle, which is one huge government subsidy for domestic SUV production since it keeps the local manufacturers fairly CAFE compliant.
Yeah... Their argument has been that since low emissions and zero emissions vehicles tend to have higher fuel economy ratings ANYWAY... And they cost SO MUCH to build... And no one wants them so they sell poorly... And all those longhaired, barefoot, hippie, treehuggers 'out there in California' force them to offer them anyway... They'd might as well get a bonus on their CAFE rating for all their hard work. So, that's why they get a huge pile of ZEV Credits for selling/offering only a handful of cars, then apply those toward their entire fleet of gas guzzlers to lower their CAFE rating.

Red Sage said:
It's not an assumption, it is an observation. General Motors has limited their exposure to Production and potential Sales of plug-in vehicles to the level at which they would ordinarily CANCEL a project. That indeed telegraphs their full intention to cancel both, any, and all plug-ins the instant they don't need to offer them anymore.
GM's efforts may look like foot dragging, but the Volt offers more practical electrification than any car not made by Tesla, far preferable to 80-mile BEV's or 18 mile PHEV's. The Volt has been around 2 years longer than Model S, and the Bolt will be here a year before Model 3. The case for GM:
How GM Beat Tesla to the First True Mass-Market Electric Car
I don't necessarily think the Bolt will succeed any more than the Volt has:
1) For pure electrics the supercharger network is a key advantage for Tesla.
2) Tesla has established brand cachet over the past 4 years and many potential customers are still prejudiced against GM.
3) Even though there is a faction within GM (starting with Bob Lutz back in 2008 or so) which has developed these cars, I can't argue there hasn't been foot dragging on the marketing and dealership ends to keep sales levels modest.

Red Sage said:
During the month of July 2016, the 330e only sold 14.7% as many units as the i3. Maybe BMW should rethink their strategy?
Yes they should. I expect all the German companies to be producing BEV's in a big way during the 2020's. The attraction of BEV's should be much greater in Europe than here:
1) More aggressive government policy to reduce greenhouse gases, part of which is
2) Sky high gas taxes, so the consumer has a far greater economic saving by switching from gas to electric.
3) Compact driving distances should mean less range anxiety

CuriousG said:
I was going to call him [EaglesPdx] out on that as almost every post has him spelling it out that way. I remember seeing it spelled correctly once. Instead of making new arguments, he's rehashing the same post over and over again.
Deja vu. In a 60+ page EpicSki Forum thread about the Vail/Talisker/Park City lawsuit in 2014 he was rehashing every bit as much as here. And he repeatedly called former Park City CEO John Cumming "John Cummings" despite several posters trying to correct that.

Last edited:
Unless 4-Series had growth in the same period that 3-series was dropping. It's possible that the 4-series is cannibalizing sales of the 3. I'm not suggesting that is the case, because I don't know the answer. But your option isn't the only one.

The plan (according to Elon) is to send someone in your replacement car, to pick up your car, and then return it when done.
And not to pick on your post, but I missed this plan of Elon's. This used to be how things were done, but they (mostly) discontinued that service a while back. It was called Valet service, and it was awesome. I'll miss it, but while it makes sense for a small luxury company, it makes a lot less sense for a larger mainstream one.

I expect that if it's asserted that somebody has "noted their intention".. that it's actually been.. uh... "noted".

Seems simple.

Swe
It's not an assumption, it is an observation. ....

But these are valid conclusions given the evidence.

They are conclusions based on your observations of previous action.

Which are neither:

A) Something GM "noted" themselves

B) Necessarily their future "intention"

Both things you asserted in your statement.

Now we have a more accurate picture of what the facts are. Thanks.

Reactions: SΞXY P100D