Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The M3 terrifies BMW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So why is it still going down. If they changed their reporting methods, there should be a cliff, and then the slope continuing as it was before.

The plan (according to Elon) is to send someone in your replacement car, to pick up your car, and then return it when done.

Thank you kindly

Or, once autonomous level 4/5 capability exists and is approved by local municipalities, they will just summon your car and summon you a loaner.

Reactions: Red Sage
Keep in mind ethanol is not as energy dense as gasoline. Not only does it cost more, but you need more of it. It's only produced at the cost it is now thanks to gov't subsidies... In the long term it has no future.

We could be using that farmland for food and/or solar and/or wind power
I agree that corn based ethanol is not as energy dense as gasoline. IIRC it is ~ 70%, so your fuel economy is going to suffer by ~25%. Therefore, if it costs more than 75% of regular gas, the math is not positive.

The other ethanol possibility would be sugar based, like Brazil does. Their E100 vehicles get ~ 90% the fuel economy of gasoline, but the cost of the fuel at the pump is dramatically cheaper, making it a far better option. Our political handling of the situation has us sending money to the Middle East for the gas, but putting huge tariffs on sugar ethanol so it can't compete. Not everyone would think that is too smart, since Brazil effectively killed the strangle-hold the oil industry had on them. We could do it too.

• Informative
As a sustainable solution, the efficiency math vastly favors the electric car over anything else I've seen.

Current mass production solar of panels convert 20% of incident light into power, of which you get ~75% out of the car as movement after the battery charging, inverter, and motor losses.

Photosynthesis is at best around 6% efficient:

Photosynthetic efficiency - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even if there's no energy losses at all going from plant to fuel, when you burn that fuel at 30% efficiency you're getting at best 2% of the solar energy back as motion, compared to 15% above.

Initial investment in a bio fuel system is smaller, and some of that is already made in our food supply system (but we need more food every year, too...)

I don't really think there's any bio fuel based on crops that makes sense at this point. The jury's still out on algae, but the numbers above still apply.

I'm still waiting for Mr. Fusion...

htip_back_to_future_mr_fusion_replica.jpg

• Love
There is no question in my mind that the Volt is a "greener" car than the Prius.

I did the math. The Volt beats the Prius for a a small piece of the daily-miles-driven vs cleanness-of-the-grid matrix, and loses for the rest. It could be that most people fit in that section (or not). But if you think it is cut and dried, you really should add the question back to your mind.

Of course Model 3 will be a vastly superior car. But it will also be considerably more expensive than Volt or Bolt for at least one full year of production

The Bolt starts more expensive, and far fewer of them will get the tax credit. After that GM will need to lose money on them in order to sell any. Doesn't sound sustainable to me.

Thank you kindly.

As a sustainable solution, the efficiency math vastly favors the electric car over anything else I've seen.

Current mass production solar of panels convert 20% of incident light into power, of which you get ~75% out of the car as movement after the battery charging, inverter, and motor losses.

Photosynthesis is at best around 6% efficient:
Photosynthetic efficiency - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Even if there's no energy losses at all going from plant to fuel, when you burn that fuel at 30% efficiency you're getting at best 2% of the solar energy back as motion, compared to 15% above.

I don't really think there's any bio fuel based on crops that makes sense at this point. The jury's still out on algae, but the numbers above still apply.
Photosynthesis would be viable if not for the fossil fuel, fertilizer, and phosphate inputs and discharges.

Minor details, I know ;-)

Correct. This is one downside to ignoring users. You don't see their quoted text. At the bottom of the page, you'll see a link to "Show Ignored Content" (or similar) and this is the sign that something's hidden. But it can break the flow at times.

I've seen better implementations of Ignore on other sites. If done like this the flow isn't broken:

Screen Shot 2016-08-19 at 3.38.25 PM.png

No, I was not. If I was responding to your post, I would have quoted you. You will notice that I actually quoted EaglesPDX, because I was responding to him.

But thanks for the unnecessary snark, it was much appreciated. :rolleyes:
FYI... If someone in a thread has IGNORED another member, your posts may sometimes appear as if you are responding to one person, instead of the IGNORED. That is because the IGNORED posts don't appear at all to someone who has blocked them. Someone who hasn't IGNORED that particular person will, of course, see the whole conversation in context. Keep in mind that even quotes from the IGNORED won't appear to other people, even within your posts. So, unless you specifically mention the name of the IGNORED within your own text (instead of just the auto-quote when you REPLY), or manually quote them, someone may be a mite bit confused from time-to-time and stuff.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler