Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The M3 terrifies BMW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think (or at least hope) everyone's moved on past arguing over your definition of "average".

The $42,000 average for T3 was Elon Musk, hope he's not a dead horse.

As @ohmman has pointed out, we drive Tesla's, not Tesle's. Or Tele's, in this case.

Since this is the T3 forum, no one is driving a T3. This is a buyers club at this point.

LOOK OUT. HERE COMES A BMW 300e, CALL GHOST BUSTERS!!!

• Funny
Reactions: ccutrer
I have no idea what point you're trying to make with that statement.
I'll take the liberty of translating:

Careless typing and spelling mistakes are excusable when a vehicle hasn't yet been released, even if you're referencing a manufacturer who has released vehicles. If people own that manufacturer's vehicles, they cannot criticize the misspelling of the manufacturer's name, because that might completely change when a new model is released.

Also, Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd like BMWs and would enjoy seeing one, so if you see a 300e [sic], you should call them. It's really rare and they'd be amazed.

I'll take the liberty of translating:

Careless typing and spelling mistakes are excusable when a vehicle hasn't yet been released, even if you're referencing a manufacturer who has released vehicles. If people own that manufacturer's vehicles, they cannot criticize the misspelling of the manufacturer's name, because that might completely change when a new model is released.

Also, Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd like BMWs and would enjoy seeing one, so if you see a 300e [sic], you should call them. It's really rare and they'd be amazed.

So, what’s in your garage?

I have a Buick Super 8 special overhead valve 1940 convertible roadster. I’ve got a 1932 Pierce-Arrow V12 Limousine. I’ve got a 1949 Bentley Mark VI overhead valve six-cylinder Baby Rolls. I’ve got a 1955 Desoto Hemi, a 1967 Chrysler Hemi and my police Harley Davidson.

I’m cutting things down.

And my dad’s truck is a 1959 Ford Truck with a Thunderbird rocket 292 in it with four barrels.

What’s your favourite vehicle of the bunch?

I love the Pierce Arrow. It’s a V-12, it’s big, and it was made in Buffalo, New York.

It’s a beautiful, elegant automobile. It’s a beautiful drive. It does about 75 miles an hour even though it’s that old.
Full article at:
Full speed ahead for Dan Aykroyd

The Red Arrow Incident - Bill Murray Stories

:D

Reactions: Red Sage
Since this is the T3 forum, no one is driving a T3. This is a buyers club at this point.
So just so we're clear, you're saying that simply because the Tesla Model 3 isn't yet publicly available, it's okay to make up your own abbreviations (T3) and your own words to describe future buyers (Teslerati)?

And you should also bear in mind that just because we're in the Model 3 forum, that doesn't mean some of us don't drive a Tesla. And without a doubt, none of us drives a Tesle.

Thanks for the translation. I tried to translate it with Google translate, and what I got out if it was that he thought that the BMW 300e is dead and turned into a ghost and/or a '59 Cadillac ambulance.

Someone called Elon Musk a "dead horse" for saying average T3 would sell for $42,000.

I guess they were so terrorized by the BMW 330e ad they didn't know Musk was into averages.
Other people have asked, it's my turn now. Why do you keep saying that people are "terrorized" or "terrified of" the BMW 330e, when it's obvious nobody is? I'm thinking projection.

Whats's the point of the $42k average price? One will be able to buy a $35k Model 3.
Elon was just stating his estimate of what the average Model 3 selling price would be. It is higher than the $35K base price because most car buyers, no matter what brand car they purchase, also buy various options.

Of course people will be able to buy a Model 3 for $35K, with no options, if that is their preference. He said so at the Model 3 launch, and stated that even with no options the Model 3 would be "a great car".

There has been a great deal of speculation as to whether or not the earliest Model 3 buyers would be able to buy a base car with no options or if Tesla would do what they did with the S and X and only sell heavily optioned cars first. At this point we don't know. My opinion is that, because Tesla and SpaceX employees with Model 3 reservations will be first in line to receive their cars, Tesla will sell any buyer a base Model 3 (no options) if that is their preference. Others disagree. We shall see.

Tesla will sell any buyer a base Model 3 (no options) if that is their preference. Others disagree. We shall see.

There is no doubt that Tesla will sell you a base model from the get go. The only reason they did not do that with Model S+X is the Signatures editions, and there will - as everybody know - not be any Signatures Model 3.

The question is if they will delay the deliveries of this base model vs. the top-spec version, and if by how long. And since Elon has said they will prioritize deliveries based on what what options is selected - just as they did with the Model S and does now with the Model X, the only real question is how much longer you have to wait to get your base-model delivered vs a more optioned car. 1 week? 1 month? 3 months? More?

There is no doubt that Tesla will sell you a base model from the get go. The only reason they did not do that with Model S+X is the Signatures editions, and there will - as everybody know - not be any Signatures Model 3.

The question is if they will delay the deliveries of this base model vs. the top-spec version, and if by how long. And since Elon has said they will prioritize deliveries based on what what options is selected - just as they did with the Model S and does now with the Model X, the only real question is how much longer you have to wait to get your base-model delivered vs a more optioned car. 1 week? 1 month? 3 months? More?
I think so much of it depends on how quickly they can ramp without compromising quality. If it's a tremendously rapid ramp, it could be 3-6 months. However, given that it's a new vehicle, and looking at Tesla's history of vehicle production ramps, I'm going to say closer to a year.

It also seems fairly obvious that certain option combinations will be delayed, and that the customer choices of each region will affect delivery dates. Tesla gets to juggle quite a few competing priorities here:

1. Give some priority to early reservations, prior Tesla owners, and current employees
  2. Perform a local beta
  3. Produce and deliver the maximum number of cars
  4. Maximize early profit
  5. Generate more sales
It is a complicated dance, with no perfect answer and always in flux. The only thing for sure is that those prone to whine will come out of the wood-work.

Last edited:
given that it's a new vehicle, and looking at Tesla's history of vehicle production ramps, I'm going to say closer to a year.
By that do you mean "closer to a year before Tesla delivers a base Model 3"?

I am factoring in that, since Tesla and SpaceX employees were give the opportunity to make the first reservations, and since many of those employees may only be able to afford the $35K base version, Tesla will therefore be producing and delivering the base version once production commences. To make those employees who reserved and want the base version or something very close to it wait up to a year for their car after production starts seems unreasonable.

We know that with the S and the X, Tesla first offered only heavily optioned versions, primarily (I believe) because that resulted in more revenue, money which Tesla needed to expand operations. And those were cars that few of their employees could afford. Certainly Tesla still wants to maximize revenue and continue to expand, but with about 400,000 $1K deposits that's a lot of revenue right there. With the Model 3 Tesla has made a point of allowing their employees to make the first reservations. Those employees deserve to get their Model 3 early and configured the way they want.