Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Model 3 - 2020 Q3 Order Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received a call from Tesla in Dartford to confirm that I have been matched to a car on the Grand Dahlia. As we all know, the ship isn't due to arrive until late August and I have been told to expect it during the 1st or 2nd week of September.

Still no VIN showing up on line but at least I now have a date to work towards - Happy days.
Hi Carl, it looks like you are in the same neck of the woods as me. Did you pick Dartford as your pick up location?

I was one of the first Model 3 reservation holders from March 2016 and I was able to order in May last year.
I finally got my car at the end of September. Others who ordered the exact same specification as me, without a reservation and placing their order after I did got their cars before I did. There was no logic to the allocation or delivery process and I doubt that's changed much.

I had 3 different VIN numbers allocated during the time I was waiting. My car could have been on 3 different ships. The Tesla staff do their best but they are in the dark as much as we are most of the time.

I ordered my second Model 3 on July 10th and I can see from the spreadsheet the same thing is happening, so this time I'm not going to fret because it's just wasted energy. I'll get the SMS/phone call/email when I get it and there's nothing much I can do to change that.

So don't overthink it, don't stress about it and don't make any plans around when you think you're going to get it, because you could be very disappointed.

And as many, many people said to me originally "It'll be worth the wait".
I wish it was as easy as this but I hastily sold my GLC to buy myself a cake day present with the expectation of it to arrive on the delivery month that I was given when I placed it (Aug). I did however subsequently change my order and understand i was in the queue again but I was given the end of Aug beginning of September as the new delivery month and have been assigned a VIN. I don't know if being proactive helps or if it is a plain annoyance to tesla staff by receiving a weekly call for an update.

Logically if they say your car is expected on x date, it should arrive on x date. If for whatever reason it doesn't arrive on x date then the priority should be given on the next available one - not to the next customer who places the same configured car.

When you say you were assigned 3 different vins, did you query with them why you didn't receive the car with that vin? if so what was their response?

Soooooo news just in. I received a text for pick up and was given 1-3 as pick up. Of course, I picked the 1st Sept but I called them asking if it would be 70 plate and was told it would be and ensured he triple checked it.

Now its time to contain my excitement for a month and not to get carried away with mods

Fingers, toes EVERYTHING crossed for no issues and for the rest of you waiting to get yours :D

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: c7carl
Did they just randomly call you or did you chase them for an update? It seems they have told me the same with regards to timelines, so at least one thing they're saying is consistent.... might not be right though :confused:

Dan,
Not sure if you are aware but it is against club rules to include your Tesla referral code in your visible signature.
Put it somewhere else in your profile and by all means refer folks to your profile for your Tesla referral code.

• Helpful
Reactions: DanAndTheBeard
Soooooo news just in. I received a text for pick up and was given 1-3 as pick up. Of course, I picked the 1st Sept but I called them asking if it would be 70 plate and was told it would be and ensured he triple checked it.

Now its time to contain my excitement for a month and not to get carried away with mods

Fingers, toes EVERYTHING crossed for no issues and for the rest of you waiting to get yours :D
Same, I got my text this morning and chose the 1st! Where is your pick up?

Good luck to everyone for the next week. Looks like the Grand Dahlia is starting to assign. Hope we get some happy shoppers.

Excited right now, in exactly a month and 3 days time I'll be whining about panel gaps.

Edit: just notices s88ats, you have the same pick up as me! We should have a competition to see who has the most pieces of loose trim!

Glad to hear the Grand Dahlia is arranging delivery. I'm looking forward to hearing from those with Glovis Sun cars whether wireless charging and USB-C is now standard.

Still waiting for my text and have my phone on the window sill for maximum bars ;)

Not sure if this helps anyone,
Spoke to Tesla Stockport today, I rang them just to double check the order had gone through, (placed last firday on 24.07.20)
Very polite and he said I'd done everything I'd needed to and that it was a waiting game now.

I asked for a rough ETA and he said, I will be in a car before the end of September.

:)

Of course, I picked the 1st Sept but I called them asking if it would be 70 plate and was told it would be and ensured he triple checked it.

Just wondering whether anyone knows when we can expect the registration number, given that it will be a '70' plate? I have no idea how it works, but one would think you cannot get a reg until the car is registered, which I would assume wouldn't be until 1st Sept to get a '70' plate. So how would that work for collections on 1st Sept?

Same, I got my text this morning and chose the 1st! Where is your pick up?

Good luck to everyone for the next week. Looks like the Grand Dahlia is starting to assign. Hope we get some happy shoppers.

Excited right now, in exactly a month and 3 days time I'll be whining about panel gaps.

Edit: just notices s88ats, you have the same pick up as me! We should have a competition to see who has the most pieces of loose trim!

haha yes happy to whine about panel gaps and other imperfections - checklist at the ready!

Just wondering whether anyone knows when we can expect the registration number, given that it will be a '70' plate? I have no idea how it works, but one would think you cannot get a reg until the car is registered, which I would assume wouldn't be until 1st Sept to get a '70' plate. So how would that work for collections on 1st Sept?

So from what i understood from the conversation, as we are allocated a reg (70) a few days before pick up - insurance won't have it in the system as it won't be "registered" until we pick it up.

From purchasing other cars for the first day of a new registration, you'll receive the registration number a few days before (if not a week or so before) as in the UK you need the registration in order to insure it.

I'd recommend getting a quote with your chosen insurer for the start date you're picking up your car over next week or so, then once you get the registration you can just add it to the quote and purchase :)