TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

The Model 3 is Too Long!

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by Hammonddave, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Hammonddave

Hammonddave Member

I own a house in a beach community of Southern California and my garage is 182 inches deep! My BMW 328 just fits in the garage (I have a foam pad attached to the wall so that I can creep up and touch it knowing that my car has reached the proper position.) The garage door will clear the rear bumper by about 3/4 of an inch.

Unfortunately, my new AWD Model 3 (which I hope to receive by the end of the year) is 185 inches long. It is two inches longer than my BMW.

What should I do?

1. Cut a three inch hole in the front wall which would encroach into my guest room.

2. Remove the front bumper of the Model 3.

3. Build a new garage.

Any other ideas?

• Funny x 2
  2. Ejl80

Ejl80 Supporting Member

Park outside.

• Funny x 2
  3. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Keep door open

4. Haxster

Haxster Member

If the wall to your guest room is not load bearing, you could cut out the drywall on the garage side and then cut out the 2 x 4s in the region of the front bumper. This would gain you ~4".

You'll need to be really careful pulling in or consider something like wheel stops for the front wheels. Assuming the M3 has a bumper distance display, like other Tesla's, this would also be helpful.

• Like x 1
  5. Brentt

Brentt Member

A set of ramps might give you enough angle to fit. You can get them cheap at most tool stores

6. Hammonddave

Hammonddave Member

I wonder if Summons would be helpful in this application.

7. Hammonddave

Hammonddave Member

"Ramps"... Interesting! But wouldn't the gas flow to the back of the car and out the gas tank?

• Funny x 15
  8. jelly

jelly Member

Park it under your bridge.

Don't feed the trolls.

• Funny x 1
  9. Dana1

Dana1 Member

Your garage is only 15’? It doesn’t sound like it was originally meant to be a garage. A M3 is not a large vehicle. Leaving garage door or making guest room smaller. Depending on layout, eliminating guest room and having larger garage/ storage area makes a world of sense to me.

• Like x 2
  10. adaptabl

adaptabl Member

Maybe, because it would crush the front in. Then the car would fit.

• Funny x 3
  11. NickFie

NickFie Member

The opening should be framed. You can replace that square of drywall in the guest room with fire-resistant plywood firmly anchored to the frame around the opening. Consider extending the plywood horizontally to the adjacent, intact studs on each side of the cut-out.

• Disagree x 1
  12. Rich966

Rich966 Member

Just FYI, even though this isn’t a gas car there is usually some different code specifications for isolating a fire or emissions between an attached garage and the rest of the house.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  13. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Or a different house.

Or modify the garage to move the garage door forward.

But a different car is probably the easiest thing.

(I double-checked the specs on Model 3 so I know it would fit in my garage. There's a tricky bit with an obstruction that could shorten the available length so I felt I needed to double-check. Not that I'll actually get one soon.)

14. Spudford

Spudford Member

-------------------------------------------------

Remove the wall entirely and have a combination garage/guest room. The house renovation tv shows are always removing walls to have an open floor plan.

Painting shark teeth on the front of the M3 would add a seaside motif to the situation.

• Funny x 5
    • Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  15. Hammonddave

Hammonddave Member

I am thinking if there was some way to extend the garage door side.... But thanks for all your suggestions. Once I take delivery of the car I will just keep the garage door open until I can get a good contractor to give me an estimate.

• Like x 1
  16. Hammonddave

Hammonddave Member

I LOVE IT!!!!!!

• Like x 2
  17. deonb

deonb Supporting Member

But we love our bridge troll!

upload_2018-7-4_7-18-8.png

• Like x 1
  18. RandyS

RandyS Fan of Elon

Not sure if you have a rollup garage door or a single piece that pivots with the opener, but would it be possible to take the door down and reframe the opening to stick out in the driveway and give you a few more inches? You'd have to remount your garage door, etc. and it would cost some money, but could help the situation...

• Like x 2
  19. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Open plan would mean any air conditioning in the guest room would also condition the garage space.
    If the garage is not currently conditioned, would want to look at the garage insulation.

(This applies even with shark teeth).

• Funny x 1
  20. Hammonddave

Hammonddave Member

I think the best and most economical solution would be to cut an opening in the wall, frame it like a window, and hope that I don't travel an inch too far into where my guest is sleeping. Good thing its a silent car with no motor noise.