Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Model 3 is Too Long!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I own a house in a beach community of Southern California and my garage is 182 inches deep! My BMW 328 just fits in the garage (I have a foam pad attached to the wall so that I can creep up and touch it knowing that my car has reached the proper position.) The garage door will clear the rear bumper by about 3/4 of an inch.

Unfortunately, my new AWD Model 3 (which I hope to receive by the end of the year) is 185 inches long. It is two inches longer than my BMW.

What should I do?

1. Cut a three inch hole in the front wall which would encroach into my guest room.

2. Remove the front bumper of the Model 3.

3. Build a new garage.

Any other ideas?

I own a house in a beach community of Southern California and my garage is 182 inches deep! My BMW 328 just fits in the garage (I have a foam pad attached to the wall so that I can creep up and touch it knowing that my car has reached the proper position.) The garage door will clear the rear bumper by about 3/4 of an inch.

Unfortunately, my new AWD Model 3 (which I hope to receive by the end of the year) is 185 inches long. It is two inches longer than my BMW.

What should I do?

1. Cut a three inch hole in the front wall which would encroach into my guest room.

3. Build a new garage.

Any other ideas?

Park outside.

If the wall to your guest room is not load bearing, you could cut out the drywall on the garage side and then cut out the 2 x 4s in the region of the front bumper. This would gain you ~4".

You'll need to be really careful pulling in or consider something like wheel stops for the front wheels. Assuming the M3 has a bumper distance display, like other Tesla's, this would also be helpful.

Reactions: abasile

What should I do?

3. Build a new garage.

Any other ideas?
Your garage is only 15’? It doesn’t sound like it was originally meant to be a garage. A M3 is not a large vehicle. Leaving garage door or making guest room smaller. Depending on layout, eliminating guest room and having larger garage/ storage area makes a world of sense to me.

If the wall to your guest room is not load bearing, you could cut out the drywall on the garage side and then cut out the 2 x 4s in the region of the front bumper. This would gain you ~4".
The opening should be framed. You can replace that square of drywall in the guest room with fire-resistant plywood firmly anchored to the frame around the opening. Consider extending the plywood horizontally to the adjacent, intact studs on each side of the cut-out.

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl
Buy a different car.

Or a different house.

Or modify the garage to move the garage door forward.

But a different car is probably the easiest thing.

(I double-checked the specs on Model 3 so I know it would fit in my garage. There's a tricky bit with an obstruction that could shorten the available length so I felt I needed to double-check. Not that I'll actually get one soon.)

What should I do?

3. Build a new garage.

Any other ideas?

-------------------------------------------------

Remove the wall entirely and have a combination garage/guest room. The house renovation tv shows are always removing walls to have an open floor plan.

Painting shark teeth on the front of the M3 would add a seaside motif to the situation.

Park it under your bridge.

Don't feed the trolls.

But we love our bridge troll!

upload_2018-7-4_7-18-8.png

Reactions: Drivesolo
Not sure if you have a rollup garage door or a single piece that pivots with the opener, but would it be possible to take the door down and reframe the opening to stick out in the driveway and give you a few more inches? You'd have to remount your garage door, etc. and it would cost some money, but could help the situation...

Reactions: Fiddler and abasile
-------------------------------------------------

Remove the wall entirely and have a combination garage/guest room. The house renovation tv shows are always removing walls to have an open floor plan.

Painting shark teeth on the front of the M3 would add a seaside motif to the situation.

Open plan would mean any air conditioning in the guest room would also condition the garage space.
If the garage is not currently conditioned, would want to look at the garage insulation.

(This applies even with shark teeth).

• Funny
Reactions: Spudford