Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Model 3 is Too Long!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just read through this thread. Thanks for the entertainment. :D

My tongue-in-cheek contribution: construct a pair of ramps and drive the front wheels up onto them enough to tilt the car so that the effective front-to-back length as measured along the floor is 6 inches shorter.

And of course you will need to have a set of steps built to get in and out of the car conveniently.

Based on the Pythagorean Theorem, raising the front of the car about a foot will reduce the effective length of the car along the X-axis sufficiently so that you can close your garage door.

If...the car was a two dimensional plane. ;) Unfortunately, the height of the car at the rear is about 4 ft and the upper corner of the rear of the car will tilt back as the car is raised, making my plan useless.

I own a house in a beach community of Southern California and my garage is 182 inches deep! My BMW 328 just fits in the garage (I have a foam pad attached to the wall so that I can creep up and touch it knowing that my car has reached the proper position.) The garage door will clear the rear bumper by about 3/4 of an inch.

Unfortunately, my new AWD Model 3 (which I hope to receive by the end of the year) is 185 inches long. It is two inches longer than my BMW.

What should I do?

1. Cut a three inch hole in the front wall which would encroach into my guest room.

2. Remove the front bumper of the Model 3.

3. Build a new garage.

Any other ideas?

My suggestion is just pick one of those three that tickles your fancy and go for it. In any case here's the only two tools that you need to get the job done:

31mRaYpi1LL.jpg
Unknown-6.jpg

Last edited:
One point in your favor if you don't have an HOA. Our house must look like all the other houses, so no pushing out the garage door. Our beach house has a slightly longer garage than yours, but not by much. Having put down a reservation on a car we'd never seen, we tried to let Tesla know that the length of the car was going to be very important. We even had some eager store representatives who wanted to bring by a Model S for us to try. We told them what we really wanted was to see them try to put it in the garage. We got a fun test drive, but they never dared go near the garage.

Happily, two years later, the 3 does fit, but we had to throw away the stuff between it and the wall, and the back end is over a concrete step. And a stop block (a 2x4) for the win.

my garage is 182 inches deep! My BMW 328 just fits in the garage (I have a foam pad attached to the wall so that I can creep up and touch it knowing that my car has reached the proper position.) The garage door will clear the rear bumper by about 3/4 of an inch.

Unfortunately, my new AWD Model 3 (which I hope to receive by the end of the year) is 185 inches long. It is two inches longer than my BMW.
Something's up with your maths.
185 Model 3 - 2 inches longer than BMW = 183 BMW.
183 BMW > 182 Garage, so your BMW does not fit in your garage either.

That said, seems like the only reasonable path forward is to get the Roadster 2 instead.

Reactions: Pkmmte
You might be able to gain a bit of length by switching to a roll-up door “storage unit” style. It would mount on the outside of the door opening. Depends on your neighborhood rules.

How about digging down, below your guest room :)

Or a turntable?

Something's up with your maths.
185 Model 3 - 2 inches longer than BMW = 183 BMW.
183 BMW > 182 Garage, so your BMW does not fit in your garage either.

That said, seems like the only reasonable path forward is to get the Roadster 2 instead.

OP didn't write what model year. There's been a tiny amount of length creep. I see:
2012 4624mm, 182.047".
2015 4627mm, 182.165".
2018 4633mm, 182.402".

Not sure if you have a rollup garage door or a single piece that pivots with the opener, but would it be possible to take the door down and reframe the opening to stick out in the driveway and give you a few more inches? You'd have to remount your garage door, etc. and it would cost some money, but could help the situation...

I think this makes the most sense. And it might end up cheaper.