Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Model X and the lament of the introvert

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This kind of response is very nice. Around here in the Seattle Eastside its hard to drive 5 minutes without seeing a model S during the day. To date I have seen only 1 model X and that was parked in front of a Lowes.
Congrats Marcos and enjoy the ride(s) :)

*Edited to correct typo

I love that I don't have to go to gas stations anymore (they smell like dying brain cells and cancer). And I boosted my home's solar capacity so that I drive 100% from sun power (and also power my home entirely on solar as well). That kind of carbon-neutral living feels awesome!

Marcos: That, and just about everything else you have said have been a delight for me and my wife to read. We will receive our Canadian Sig X in the coming months, and this is what I am hoping we will experience.

Thanks for telling us about it.

Jon

You know, I'm kind of an introvert too. I am getting an S this week, and while I know they are common in some places like California (my wife saw tons of them on her last business trip out that way), I almost never see any Model S around my neck of the woods. I wonder if I will get more attention than I might want? I think I can take it though. I'm happy to talk about the car and the mission of Tesla.

You know, I'm kind of an introvert too. I am getting an S this week, and while I know they are common in some places like California (my wife saw tons of them on her last business trip out that way), I almost never see any Model S around my neck of the woods. I wonder if I will get more attention than I might want? I think I can take it though. I'm happy to talk about the car and the mission of Tesla.

The best thing about the S is that you can convince nearly anyone that it's a reasonable purchase. First, while it's a great looking car, it's definitely more "traditional" in look compared to other cars on the road, so it doesn't stand out profusely. Next, it's full of utility. Fold down the seats, show the rear facing seats (if you've got them), talk about the performance, the lack of gas, etc. Easy. I've convinced a lot of people that it's an incredible car over the last two years, and made at least two sales. You'll do well.

So I've settled on one big thing I absolutely hate about the car—the view out the rear-view mirror. It's not just the middle row in a 7-seat config that basically blocks 1/3rd of the view, but the dark tint as well. I can't see anything going on back there, so it's virtually worthless.

I know some people turn on the rear camera and have that run on half the screen. I tried that, but you get the road-rushing-by view, which actually makes me nauseous (I can't play first-person shooters either). So while that works great when backing up, it doesn't work for me while driving.

I'm training myself to make more use of the side mirrors and sensor warnings, but none of them give me insight into what is happening directly behind me.

And I really do like to use my rearview mirror to get a better sense of what's going on around me. And, it's helped me avoid several accidents. For example, last weekend on my own car I was driving home to Oakland from San Jose. It was pouring rain, the roads were treacherous. I was cruising along at around 50 mph when traffic in front of me abruptly stopped. I had enough space so I had no problem stopping along with it. However, I looked behind me, and the driver directly behind me had apparently been napping, so was closing in on me FAST. So I pulled off to the shoulder, and that car STILL almost hit the car ahead of me. Had I not pulled off, he would've hit me. With the X, I don't think I would've seen him coming (especially in cloudy-dark conditions).

I wish Tesla would've implemented that rearview mirror-wth camera system. I hope they still do and I can retrofit. Or I hope someone offers an aftermarket option for doing that. Because right now, it's the one thing that makes me feel less safe in the car.

As to the original point of this thread, nothing has changed. Yesterday I was unloading kids for soccer practice, and had the FWD facing the street open. Traffic ended up backing up for a block as every car passing mine had to slow down to get a good look. Then there was the gaggle of highschoolers walking by who all started shouting, "oooooh it's the new Tesla!" There was the cyclist who almost rode into oncoming traffic because he was too busy staring at the car. Or the 10-year-old girl who excitedly pointed at an intersection and said, "Mom, that's the car I want!" And last night at a school event I had to promise about a dozen friends rides in the car. My new coping tactic is to try and avoid eye contact.

Getting mine in 2 days...These are definitely my biggest worries about the X! A) people asking how much it costs, B) people asking what was wrong with my old car (a 2014 Highlander). I'm just going to blame it on my husband: "oh, he really wanted a fun car, but he only drives 5 minutes each day to the train station so it doesn't make sense for him. We always take my car on family drives because it has the baby's car seat installed, so it makes more sense for my car to be nicer car." I know that as soon as I leave people will look up the price of the car on their phones, but at least I don't have to say it myself! I live on Long Island, so NOBODY else is going to be driving this car around here...it's definitely going to create a commotion at the grocery store! I'm just glad I walk my daughter to school

It's funny how many people feel free to ask the 'how much did you pay?" Question. Maybe it's my German upbringing, but as I was raised, one did NOT talk with people outside the family about money (unless in a professional context as my Mom was a tax preparer) topics. You didn't ask how much do you make and you didn't ask how much things cost, it was none of anyone else's business!

I'm pretty sure I still get a "I can't believe you just asked that" look on my face when people ask. I usually just say 5000 and a 20K investment in Tesla at the same time has fully paid for the car with a healthy profit.

Reactions: tomsky