Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The New Chevy Bolt vs Tesla Model 3: Which is better EV?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well said. I wish my wife would accept a Model S, but so far she vetoes it. She does like driving the Volts, but the kids took off with them.

My guess is a 200 mi class EV smaller than the S might change her opinion if she gets behind the wheel for awhile. So the business will buy a Bolt when they are released and she will eventually have to get behind the wheel. My guess is it will be everything the Volt is, but better, which could sway her from her dislike of the BEV concept.

The 3 may just do it for her!

Reactions: Red Sage
Yes. I just found it rather interesting that particular 'treasure trove' does not include any Tesla Motors products for comparison. I'll take another look, in case that has changed in the last few months... '...Subaru, Suzuki, Toyota, Volkswagen, Volvo...' Yup! No mention of Tesla testing on their site whatsoever, though they do list them elsewhere. But both NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) and Euro NCAP (European New Car Assessment Programme) have them covered in full.
totally late to add my reply, but....
Earlier this year, The Tesla Show podcast (#21) did a great summary of the safety testing. My summary of their summary ;) is in this post on the Model 3 Owners Club forum

• Informative
As is the Fit, but in car market terms, it's classed as a subcompact because of external body size. EPA classes based on internal volume.
Agreed, that's why I noted it was an EPA classification. I prefer to go with official terminology, instead of marketing terms. Because those are often designed to elicit an emotional response instead of communicate factual reality.

Reactions: Topher
When does the EPA call a car a 'small station wagon' rather than a 'hatchback' ?

When they release it's baby brother, the 2017 Cruze Hatchback. Coming soon.

Sure looks like a subcompact to me.

You need a bigger computer screen. On my 40" monitor it looks like a freakin' Giant Japanese Beetle!!!! Nuclear power plant leak, when will they learn?

Chevy be smart. Day goes to Carnival an nabs sum midgets an gibs 'em Press Badges. Dem is da journalists whose says da car be roomy. Not 'em common folks, dem MIDGETS!!!

Sorry, having a little fun. One showed up at a CCS near Cleveland with an engineer. A Volt owner struck up a conversation. Both the 6'3" engineer and 6'1" Volt owner agreed it's roomy inside.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: SageBrush
When does the EPA call a car a 'small station wagon' rather than a 'hatchback' ?
From my understanding EPA has 2 main car classes: Sedans and Station Wagons. They have 4 main truck classes: Pickup, Van, SUV and Special Purpose.

So if it is a CUV\hatchback it will likely be classified as a station wagon if it isn't body on frame, then it is a SUV. Of course there are examples where the EPA is confused: the VW Golf is considered to be in the Sedan class.

I'm not certain, but I sort of believe the EPA goes with what the manufacturer tells them in terms of the 'type' of car. That's why some vehicles that might be marketed as Sedans don't have the Station Wagon category assigned, even if they have a liftback. I am certain the EPA does not particularly care about the marketing definitions of SUV v Minivan and whatnot. In their marketing, GM keeps calling the BOLT a 'crossover', even though there is no all wheel drive version. I think that 'small station wagon' fits perfectly.

In their marketing, GM keeps calling the BOLT a 'crossover', even though there is no all wheel drive version. I think that 'small station wagon' fits perfectly.
Yep, since it appears to match the Honda 'Fit' by outside dimensions and the Honda is also typed as a small station wagon. My confusion (and annoyance after McRat attempted to imply that the Bolt is a relatively large car due to the car type designation) originated from perhaps presuming that a 'small station wagon' must be bigger than a hatchback. Or that it says anything about size at all, other than being smaller than a not-small station wagon.

It sure fits that EPA lets the manufacturers choose the car type. How else can this get so muddled ?!
It also explains the ludicrous statements I often read from GM about being "best in class" in this or that. Obviously GM is typing the car to exclude less than complimentary comparisons.

Between the ramblings of McRat, GM, and a certain lunatic politician, I feel like changing my name to Alice.

Yep, since it appears to match the Honda 'Fit' by outside dimensions and the Honda is also typed as a small station wagon. My confusion (and annoyance after McRat attempted to imply that the Bolt is a relatively large car due to the car type designation) originated from perhaps presuming that a 'small station wagon' must be bigger than a hatchback. Or that it says anything about size at all, other than being smaller than a not-small station wagon.

It sure fits that EPA lets the manufacturers choose the car type. How else can this get so muddled ?!
It also explains the ludicrous statements I often read from GM about being "best in class" in this or that. Obviously GM is typing the car to exclude less than complimentary comparisons.

Between the ramblings of McRat, GM, and a certain lunatic politician, I feel like changing my name to Alice.

Why does it bug you so much Alice? As you should know, it's the size inside of the rabbit hole that is important.

Well, the Model S is classified as a Large car because it has 120 cubic feet of combined passenger and cargo volume. Since it has a liftgate, Tesla probably could have had it classified as a Small Station Wagon instead, since it has less than 130 cubic feet of combined passenger and cargo volume. I think they made the correct decision on that point, as the Model S is a better car than it is a station wagon.

The fun thing is that per the EPA, the BOLT is actually slightly smaller on interior volume compared to the FIT. Both of them have interior volume that would qualify them as Midsize cars if their manufacturers wanted the designation. But I have a feeling that the Model ☰ will probably edge them both out due to having a frunk.

Everyone wants to claim 'best in class' for something or other. If a radio station in a metropolitan area finds that they are #1 in any demographic (left handed male jugglers between the ages of 14 and 22 from the hours of 4:00 am through 6:00 am) they will act as if they are ruling the charts in all categories. Ford's website stresses their Super Duty trucks are 'best in class' at 8,500+ lbs. I wonder how many pickups weigh in at that much...

Everyone wants to claim 'best in class' for something or other. If a radio station in a metropolitan area finds that they are #1 in any demographic (left handed male jugglers between the ages of 14 and 22 from the hours of 4:00 am through 6:00 am) they will act as if they are ruling the charts in all categories. Ford's website stresses their Super Duty trucks are 'best in class' at 8,500+ lbs. I wonder how many pickups weigh in at that much...

Whenever I see an ad or commercial that says "best in class" I automatically assume that what they really mean is "we're the best [only] in this class [that we totally made up so we were the only ones in it]".

Whenever I see an ad or commercial that says "best in class" I automatically assume that what they really mean is "we're the best [only] in this class [that we totally made up so we were the only ones in it]".
Yeah, I love those car commercials where they brag about awards their cars have won. Because there are a zillion different groups/magazines/whatever that are handing out all kinds of awards these days for anything. If your car hasn't won some kind of award, it must be a POS.

• Funny
Reactions: Red Sage and dsvick
Well, if you don't classify vehicles, what is the best vehicle?

Is a KTM 500EXC better than a Maybach? Or vice-versa?

Is a Provost motorhome better than a 918 Porsche?

Is a 3500 diesel duallie better than a Smart Car?

Is a Tesla S 60 better than a Bugatti Chiron?

Best you can offer is it compare similar designs for cost and functionality