Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The New RAV4 EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I read that the RAV4 EV may have a range of 80-120 miles. Can your wife get by on that range? If so wouldn't the appropriate comparison be with the Model S with 160 mile range priced at $57,400 before the government tax credit?
You're correct. My comparison is not fair. We are going to keep our diesel Jeep Liberty for skiing, towing my motorcycle trailer to the track, long distance touring, etc. her daily commute is ~30 miles round trip so the RAV will have plenty of range for her.

If we get a Model S we're going to get a Signature and possibly a Sport - the sig is mainly my doing as I want it sooner and wife will likely want Sport as she wants it to accelerate like our Roadster. The RAV will of course have less range and performance. My thinking was that they'd be available for test drives around the same time and we'd drive them both and decide. If the RAV comes out a before we can drive the S she may just decide that the RAV works great and buy one.

@strider: If you've got the parking and the capital, your fleet sounds enviable and practical:
  • Model S Sig Sport: performance luxury sedan
  • Roadster: fun sportscar
  • RAV4 EV: practical commuter vehicle
  • Diesel Jeep Liberty: workhorse
Personally I'd leave the RAV4 off the list and simply use the two Teslas as the day-to-day cars.

@strider: If you've got the parking and the capital, your fleet sounds enviable and practical:
  • Model S Sig Sport: performance luxury sedan
  • Roadster: fun sportscar
  • RAV4 EV: practical commuter vehicle
  • Diesel Jeep Liberty: workhorse
Personally I'd leave the RAV4 off the list and simply use the two Teslas as the day-to-day cars.
Yeah, 4 vehicles would be too much. Your suggestion would be my choice but like I said my wife likes her tall vantage point so Tesla till have to wow her w/ Model S. Though either way we'll be supporting Tesla and getting another EV on the road. We could have worse choices - fun times.

Yeah, 4 vehicles would be too much. Your suggestion would be my choice but like I said my wife likes her tall vantage point so Tesla till have to wow her w/ Model S. Though either way we'll be supporting Tesla and getting another EV on the road. We could have worse choices - fun times.

If she can wait 2 years, Model X might suit her as well.

I found a new video for the Rav 4. Interesting the Latitude and Longitude that it shows in the car during the drive show it to be at this address:
No. 10, Lane 43, Sīyuán Rd, Sinjhuang District
New Taipei City, Taiwan 242

It would be interesting if anyone speaks Mandarin that could translate for us.

Last edited by a moderator:
If she can wait 2 years, Model X might suit her as well.
Yeah, the problem is that the Jeep needs some major service done as it's nearing 100k and that's the only vehicle we have in which the baby can ride. Also whenever I want to take my motorcycle to the track I have to rent a car for her or talk one of my friends into towing my trailer for me - it's just a huge hassle. So the sooner the better for us. Though by mid next year we should have seen X prototypes so she may decide that's what she wants in which case that will reinforce the idea of getting a RAV until Model X comes out.

Because Toyota isn't serious about it. It's basically a compliance car for them. They are making just enough for ZEV compliance and most of them will be used for fleet sales. Where are they going to be available? I think it's only in CA.

Hi Tom,

Do you think what motivates Toyota is that the cost of batteries is still too expensive to permit them to make a decent profit on the RAV4?

Larry

Hi Larry,
I really don't know what Toyota's thoughts and strategy is. However when I listen to them speak, it's clear they don't think electric cars are worth much investment at this time. Maybe it's the cost of the batteries, maybe not. It would have been nice if they sold the RAV4 across the country, even if it were only special order. How they are handling the RAV4 EV it would seem like they don't want anybody to know about it, kind of like the first time they made them.