Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The New RAV4 EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Below is the response I got From Toyota suggesting Level 3 charging and accepting Tesla's charging network.

Recently you contacted Toyota. Below is a summary of your contact message and our response.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Subject
Rav 4 EV

Discussion Thread
Response (James Fewel) 11/04/2011 11:59 AM
Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. (TMS), Mr.XXXXXX.

I apologize for our delayed reply to your email, as it was not intended.

We reply to emails in the order received, and due to a large volume we are experiencing, we had to work through the emails that came ahead of yours before we could reply to you. Again, I apologize for the delay.

TMS intends to launch the RAV4 EV in 2012.

Please know that your feedback is greatly appreciated, and we appreciate your sincerity and passion for the need for Toyota to address the situation with products that fit the times!

We're glad to get your feedback because the only way we know what our customers are looking for is when they tell us, as you have. Generally, product decisions are based on customer research, which is continuous as customer needs evolve. We try to scope our customers out in advance, by listening to feedback from Toyota dealerships, researching the market, conducting interviews, surveys, focus groups and doing our homework, but there's no better source than a Toyota owner or intender who takes the time to tell us like it is.

We can't guarantee that your suggestion would be implemented, but if it were, it would be driven by just this sort of honest communication. Your comments have been made available to Toyota management.

In general, Toyota does not provide information about future products until either a new vehicle is available at the dealership or until Toyota makes a public announcement. This helps prevent a situation in which the public can become frustrated by hearing about something that they cannot go see at their Toyota dealership, and it helps prevent a situation in which a Toyota dealership is blind-sided by information about which they have not been briefed in advance. To this end, Toyota coordinates the timing of its product announcements.

In addition, Toyota does not release information that has not been made public, because the information is proprietary until such time as it is made public by Toyota. This practice is standard throughout the industry, as it not only prevents frustration at the public and dealership level, but it also helps keep information secret that would be of value to potential competitors.

Automotive publications may publish information from any source, but the information officially released by Toyota is timed according to the above guidelines for the above reasons.

To receive information as it becomes available, please sign up for Toyota information at @TOYOTA ACCESS

We are committed to manufacturing high quality vehicles that exemplify innovative design, styling, dependability and durability. In an effort to maintain the quality that is evident in our previous vehicle models, we continue to pay close attention to the detail in our future models.

Again, thank you for your interest!

Toyota values you as a customer, and we appreciate the opportunity to address your concern. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us at Toyota Help.

Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters under file #1111041149.

Sincerely,

James Fewel

Toyota Customer Experience
Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
Customer By Web Form (Lloyd XXXXX) 11/01/2011 10:57 AM
For the 2012 Rav4EV my concern is that this vehicle will only be enabled with low level II charging. In order for this vehicle to be useful it will need to have Level 3 DC fast charging available from release. Additionally it would be beneficial to utilize Tesla's connector and contribute to their DC fast charging network. I would be happy to discuss this with you further.

I heard from some of my Toyota friends that the Rav4 EV may be released as early as January. I wonder why they are being so silent, not releasing any news or informaiton. Big fanfare at the release??
Wonder if that'll cannibalize any of the Model S sales since it's likely much less expensive, but still using Tesla's tech.

Wonder if that'll cannibalize any of the Model S sales since it's likely much less expensive, but still using Tesla's tech.
I can say this is definitely a possibility in my house. My wife currently drives and SUV and likes her tall vantage point. She's also nervous about the size of the Model S. So if Toyota brings out the RAV4-EV and she drives it and likes it we're likely to buy one. The fact that it's half the price of Model S (I'm expecting $40-45k for the RAV) is gravy.

Last edited:
I can say this is definitely a possibility in my house. My wife currently drives and SUV and likes her tall vantage point. She's also nervous about the size of the Model S. So if Toyota brings out the RAV4-EV and she drives it and likes it we're likely to buy one. The fact that it's half the price of Model S (I'm expecting $40-45k for the RAV) is gravy.

Hi,

I read that the RAV4 EV may have a range of 80-120 miles. Can your wife get by on that range? If so wouldn't the appropriate comparison be with the Model S with 160 mile range priced at $57,400 before the government tax credit?

Larry

Hi,

I read that the RAV4 EV may have a range of 80-120 miles. Can your wife get by on that range? If so wouldn't the appropriate comparison be with the Model S with 160 mile range priced at $57,400 before the government tax credit?

Larry

Current published figures for the Rav4 EV are 100 to 150 miles range. Price is expected to be $44K to 55k also before tax credits.

I agree. I think the base S will be a much nicer vehicle than the RAV at a similar price point, but people who really want an SUV might be tempted by the RAV, if they don't care about 4 wheel drive. If it had 4 wheel drive, and if it were actually for sale instead of lease, that might tempt me to go for the RAV over the S. As it is now I can convert an existing RAV for less money and retain 4 wheel drive, though with more like 100 miles of range, not 150.

Hi,

Larry

Current published figures for the Rav4 EV are 100 to 150 miles range. Price is expected to be $44K to 55k also before tax credits.

Hi Lloyd,

Thanks for the clarification.

Whereas I completely understand that perhaps an SUV might be the better choice based on strider's wife's preferences, it is an exaggeration to state the RAV4 EV is half the price of a comparable range Model S.

Larry

Last edited: