Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The next generation going full electric

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ....- remember those days as a student of rocking up to a filling station and putting a fiver worth of fuel in - maybe history is repeating itself for the modern generation?.

A Fiver? Good Heavens, man.. how well off were you? I don't know anyone who could afford 18 gallons of fuel as a student - or a car that could hold that much....

I remember when, if you were conscientious, you would arrive at the pump and ask the attendant for (say) four and four shots at 3/6d a gallon plus 0/02p per shot of redex.

When we visited California in summer 1989 I was astounded that their gas was $0.61 per gallon so $0.68 per UK gallon = £0.40 a gallon! I'd just been issued with a 2 litre Sierra Sapphire Ghia and for the same price I could have had a mid-range Cadillac! They've always had it easy that side of the pond.:rolleyes:

There will be a pivot point where ICE resale values tends to £zero ... we could have a sweepstake on when you MUST dispose of the ICE to avoid that

As we get closer to that point, the price of new EVs will be reducing along with an increase of EVs on the 2nd hand macket. Hence it is very unlikely that the comming reduction in the resale values of a ICE will ever on its own be a logical reason to despose of a ICE. However it will become a logical reason not to buy a ICE as the cost/risk of buyer is always more then what you can get for selling the same car.

A Fiver? Good Heavens, man.. how well off were you? I don't know anyone who could afford 18 gallons of fuel as a student - or a car that could hold that much....

There was a huge jump in the price of petrol in the early 70s from about 30p a gallon to 50p a gallon (4.546 Litres) when I was first driving. There were news articles about whether people could afford to continue driving at such costs (i.e. a jump from less than 7p a litre to 11p a litre). I bought my first car, a second hand old Mini for approximately what it presently costs to fill an ICE car tank with petrol. Of course incomes were very low too so it was a real hardship in many cases and influenced the size, design and fuel efficiency of vehicles, particularly in the UK and Europe. The US was protected from the fuel price jumps to a large extent through having their own sources of oil.

There was a huge jump in the price of petrol in the early 70s from about 30p a gallon to 50p a gallon (4.546 Litres) when I was first driving. There were news articles about whether people could afford to continue driving at such costs (i.e. a jump from less than 7p a litre to 11p a litre). I bought my first car, a second hand old Mini for approximately what it presently costs to fill an ICE car tank with petrol. Of course incomes were very low too so it was a real hardship in many cases and influenced the size, design and fuel efficiency of vehicles, particularly in the UK and Europe. The US was protected from the fuel price jumps to a large extent through having their own sources of oil.

Ah, nostalgia. My first car was £27.50 and as you say no-one had to pump their own petrol and at better garages the windscreen got cleaned too. One of my contemporaries worked on 'how many miles to the egg' to keep the radiator sealed and every student gearbox ran on molyslip and finding a dodgy garage to fudge the MOT (hand brake is in the boot. Brick in the passenger footwell. is that OK?)

Sounds like some of you have a few years head start on me - well, some maybe more :D I can remember petrol going up from 30p/gal, but not as a driver so by time I was driving, that £5 got me maybe half a tank iirc in the mini - didn't mostly have a working petrol gauge in the MGB so you knew it was time to top up based on mileage or if you got that wrong and the engine stuttered when you went around a corner. Thankfully, using pounds, shillings, pence is mostly a blur although I can remember going to school with old money and coming back with new.

Cheapest i remember paying for petrol was 4/6/gall but my moped at the time only took 1/2 gallon and a squirt from the 2-stroke mixer to fill up - ride to school and hide the moped at the boathouse 'cos the boatman would turn a blind eye but school rules forbade such things..went to Uni in '67

Well just had a test drive in this. Very impressed with the quality. Certainly feels and drives very premium. Controlled ride with much less crashiness than an M3 and at least as quiet as an MS on 19” wheels.
The Sunroof is great as it is well in front of the driver, unlike an MS.

But of course, it doesn’t have the range. The odometer and the miles remaining tracked perfectly, but showed 90 miles on full charge.
1DE97C47-C755-46C2-B3C9-848EA67952C3.jpeg

42B5F24A-CAC2-47BF-A205-F4E79CCB575C.jpeg

Absolutely perfect as a city car - perhaps better than a M3, given its hatch and compact size.

Sooner or later "boy racers" will discover EVs and the insurance costs of new drivers will then be very expensive.
I thought insurance costs were already very expensive for new drivers. As someone mentioned on this thread, EV's are supposed to be safer in accidents, therefore less injury maybe, therefore lower insurance payouts, therefore lower insurance premiums. Hmm I wonder

Well just had a test drive in this. Very impressed with the quality. Certainly feels and drives very premium. Controlled ride with much less crashiness than an M3 and at least as quiet as an MS on 19” wheels.
The Sunroof is great as it is well in front of the driver, unlike an MS.

But of course, it doesn’t have the range. The odometer and the miles remaining tracked perfectly, but showed 90 miles on full charge.
View attachment 518181
View attachment 518182
Absolutely perfect as a city car - perhaps better than a M3, given its hatch and compact size.

Im not disputing your comments about the ride of the Mini. The model 3 is very well planted and a smooth ride. I went for 18" wheels, knowing UK roads aren't suited to low profile tyres

I thought insurance costs were already very expensive for new drivers. As someone mentioned on this thread, EV's are supposed to be safer in accidents, therefore less injury maybe, therefore lower insurance payouts, therefore lower insurance premiums. Hmm I wonder

Most insurance costs are due to 3rd party claims for injury, hence a car being safer for people in it makes little difference.