Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The number of used Tesla 3/Y available is staggering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this Tesla inventory or other sources? I wonder if lease return 3's and Y's are flooding the market? From what was available when I was purchasing, there was no option to purchase your Tesla at the end of a lease because Elon was going to turn them into a giant robo-taxi fleet. Have they continued with the "no, you can't purchase at the end of your lease" policy or has that gone the way of the dodo as it should? Since there isn't a fleet of Robo-taxis, does Tesla put lease returns into the used inventory like they do trade in cars now?... or do they dump them on Carvana :D

Keith

Is this Tesla inventory or other sources? I wonder if lease return 3's and Y's are flooding the market? From what was available when I was purchasing, there was no option to purchase your Tesla at the end of a lease because Elon was going to turn them into a giant robo-taxi fleet. Have they continued with the "no, you can't purchase at the end of your lease" policy or has that gone the way of the dodo as it should? Since there isn't a fleet of Robo-taxis, does Tesla put lease returns into the used inventory like they do trade in cars now?... or do they dump them on Carvana :D

Keith
This is other sources. If memory serves me correctly Tesla started leasing M3 in the 2nd quarter of 2019 so the 36 month model 3 lease returns would just be starting. Also I think they can extend by 6 months too so those leases could be deferred through the end of the year. I don’t think we will see the effect of lease returns until next year.

Still no option to purchase at the end of the lease. Still fake residual and high money factor (interest rate) so Tesla leases are a bad deal.

A lot of these cars are listed at a premium. This clearly shows that buyers are no longer willing to pay those higher prices (at least in my area) and those vehicles are sitting. Since I posted this many of those vehicles have been reduced significantly but are still well over MSRP.

• Informative
Reactions: Fourdoor
Not going in the right direction. Nearly 700 used model 3 within 50 miles. Prices appear to be quite a bit lower as well. Dealers appear to be getting nervous and making large price cuts.
Screenshot 2022-09-12 154541.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: voxel
Tesla is not the only game in town now and people are finding better quality EV’s from others manufacturers. The buzz that helped sell Tesla in the past was the promise of FSD. Now largely relegated to joke status because of constant delays and problems I think that Teslas best days are now behind them.

Other EVs are pretty unobtainable and honestly first gen EVs are super risky to own (see my ID.4 and to some degree my Mach-Es... I've owned 3). My BMW i4 and MINI SE electric seem to be fairly reliable so far but both are ICE conversions which I think might be the safest manufacturing path.

Oh, I told my co-worker his 2021 ID.4 would glitch and shutdown on him eventually... and it finally did in Naples (200+ miles away) over the weekend. Left his wife + kids stranded but thankfully they had family in the area pick them up.

Tesla is not the only game in town now and people are finding better quality EV’s from others manufacturers. The buzz that helped sell Tesla in the past was the promise of FSD. Now largely relegated to joke status because of constant delays and problems I think that Teslas best days are now behind them.
Until legacy car makers keep using the start/stop button in their EVs - I think Tesla be fine.

I disagree. People are smart enough to see the poor quality, empty promises and horrible service.

Tesla quality these days is actually damn good and consistency is steadily improving, plenty of real-world data and anecdotal evidence to support this. Tesla is also certainly no worse than any of the traditional autos when it comes to quality control and unavoidable manufacturing defects (been around cars very long?)

Empty promises is a poor choice of words. It's not like Tesla has given up or slacked off on the development of FSD (or Cybertruck & Roadster if that's your complaint). This is the nature of iterative development with new/innovative products - it takes time. Yes Elon's timeline predictions have historically been way too optimistic, but these are not and have never been promises, and they are far from empty. FSD in particular is trying to solve with AI/ML/NN one of the most complex and complicated real-world problems that's ever existed, one that even highly capable humans still struggle with - driving on shared roads with other humans in questionably-engineered and variable roadway systems. If you don't understand that a revolutionary product like this will take a long time and suffer many setbacks/delays/whatever then your expectations just need a reality check.

Horrible service is also a poor choice of words because as with literally any other service provider it is highly local - some service centers are absolutely amazing and some of them do indeed suck. Mine happens to be quite awesome, sucks that yours isn't.

Your particular vehicle may have had some quality issues, your service center experience may have sucked, and you see empty promises, but that is all n=1 and there are plenty of people who have had the exact opposite experience as you - consider me in that crowd because my n=1 has been fantastic. Tesla's gonna be just fine, don't you worry ;)

Tesla quality these days is actually damn good and consistency is steadily improving, plenty of real-world data and anecdotal evidence to support this. Tesla is also certainly no worse than any of the traditional autos when it comes to quality control and unavoidable manufacturing defects (been around cars very long?)

Empty promises is a poor choice of words. It's not like Tesla has given up or slacked off on the development of FSD (or Cybertruck & Roadster if that's your complaint). This is the nature of iterative development with new/innovative products - it takes time. Yes Elon's timeline predictions have historically been way too optimistic, but these are not and have never been promises, and they are far from empty. FSD in particular is trying to solve with AI/ML/NN one of the most complex and complicated real-world problems that's ever existed, one that even highly capable humans still struggle with - driving on shared roads with other humans in questionably-engineered and variable roadway systems. If you don't understand that a revolutionary product like this will take a long time and suffer many setbacks/delays/whatever then your expectations just need a reality check.

Horrible service is also a poor choice of words because as with literally any other service provider it is highly local - some service centers are absolutely amazing and some of them do indeed suck. Mine happens to be quite awesome, sucks that yours isn't.

Your particular vehicle may have had some quality issues, your service center experience may have sucked, and you see empty promises, but that is all n=1 and there are plenty of people who have had the exact opposite experience as you - consider me in that crowd because my n=1 has been fantastic. Tesla's gonna be just fine, don't you worry ;)

Glad you had a good experience - so far. But your experience does not make it consistent across all customers in all countries. I saw a brand new MYP. Condensation in the tail lights. How many years has Tesla known about this design defect ? Paint jobs still suck with debris in paint. I have yet to see a white car where the paint matches on all panels. Or a black car without orange peel. Glass roof mounting is poor. Uneven gaps on either side. I could go on but you get the picture.

Quality should be consistent. Clearly it is not. Tesla has had over 10 years to figure out how to do quality. They don’t bother because they don’t have to. I don’t think they even have a QC department.

FSD is just a party novelty. The testers here will be testing for years. I guess it makes them feel important. Waymo and GM will have a solid offering while Testa is still beta. Or NHTSA will shut it down.

I am glad you have insider information relative to Cybertruck and Roadster. Why don’t you tell us when they are coming.

Service at Tesla is an afterthought. There are only 19 Service Centers in all of Canada. Do you know how big Canada is ?

Tesla has grown to be a large company with lots of money. Why they can’t hire the right people to solve these issues is incomprehensible. I am glad you think they will be fine. For the moment that may be true. But the world is not standing still.

FSD will be stuck at L2 until the infrastructure (roads, lights, other vehicles) communicate in unison. That's L3 automation and Tesla will never pull it off without external factors outside Tesla's control. FSD, as Musk is marketing it, is pure science fiction. My 4 year old BMW did everything my MY does now. I'm not knocking AP, I'm calling BS on the FSD myth.
Screen Shot 2022-09-12 at 7.00.58 PM.png

Reactions: phonetele226
Glad you had a good experience - so far. But your experience does not make it consistent across all customers in all countries. I saw a brand new MYP. Condensation in the tail lights. How many years has Tesla known about this design defect ? Paint jobs still suck with debris in paint. I have yet to see a white car where the paint matches on all panels. Or a black car without orange peel. Glass roof mounting is poor. Uneven gaps on either side. I could go on but you get the picture.

Quality should be consistent. Clearly it is not. Tesla has had over 10 years to figure out how to do quality. They don’t bother because they don’t have to. I don’t think they even have a QC department.

FSD is just a party novelty. The testers here will be testing for years. I guess it makes them feel important. Waymo and GM will have a solid offering while Testa is still beta. Or NHTSA will shut it down.

I am glad you have insider information relative to Cybertruck and Roadster. Why don’t you tell us when they are coming.

Service at Tesla is an afterthought. There are only 19 Service Centers in all of Canada. Do you know how big Canada is ?

Tesla has grown to be a large company with lots of money. Why they can’t hire the right people to solve these issues is incomprehensible. I am glad you think they will be fine. For the moment that may be true. But the world is not standing still.

You're just stating exactly what I did - that my positive experience and your apparently very negative experience (or you have no experience at all and are just a troll, which given your account creation date and post history I'm beginning to suspect) are extremely small sample sizes and 100% in line with pretty much every automotive brand in the history of ever. I've been an auto enthusiast for decades and have frequented many forums from many different manufactures and its always the same - lots of positive experiences and plenty of negative ones; Tesla is no different and your complaints are just literal noise not unique to Tesla in any way.

I love that you seem to think a large manufacturing company like Tesla doesn't care about quality or even has a quality department, or that there is a way to "do quality" like its a one-time solvable thing 😂 I'll ask again, ya been around cars very long?

Just for reference I happen to work for a very large manufacturing company in the automotive-adjacent space, and we have a small group that makes a very particular component for Tesla. I remember a few years ago when we started this partnership with Tesla, this particular group had to nearly overhaul its entire quality/tracking system to meet Tesla's very stringent demands. At the time (this was years ago, around 2018 or so) I literally sat directly behind one of the lead MFG systems engineers that was writing code for this overhaul, and he was always saying how none of our partners or suppliers had ever put these kinds of demands on us, and we have always taken quality VERY seriously. He was frequently frustrated by what seemed like unreasonably high standards, but in hindsight makes sense given Tesla's highly iterative ultra-fast-paced development cycle.

You can say what you want about FSD, Cybertruck, or Roadster - your heels are clearly dug in here but it's just a matter of time before you're proven objectively wrong ;) Some of us understand how difficult it is to build anything at scale, especially new and innovative physical products, and our expectations and patience are adjusted appropriately.

By the way, Tesla is in fact hiring a gazillion people, you can go on their website and see just how many positions they have open. Since you seem to have all their problems identified and consider them easy to solve, why don't ya apply for one and help em out!

Reactions: M0SA and Sixth
FSD will be stuck at L2 until the infrastructure (roads, lights, other vehicles) communicate in unison. That's L3 automation and Tesla will never pull it off without external factors outside Tesla's control. FSD, as Musk is marketing it, is pure science fiction. My 4 year old BMW did everything my MY does now. I'm not knocking AP, I'm calling BS on the FSD myth.
View attachment 851913

Agree with you. The fan boys won’t like it however.

Reactions: TSLY
Glad you had a good experience - so far. But your experience does not make it consistent across all customers in all countries. I saw a brand new MYP. Condensation in the tail lights. How many years has Tesla known about this design defect ?
This is for Audi btw, but is applicable to pretty much all cars.

"
Technical Background
The headlight circulation system allows air from the outside to flow through the headlights. This open water- protected ventilation system (which is needed for pressure compensation) creates different climate zones in the headlight: very warm areas, where the lens is warmed up by the light, and relatively cool areas, where the lens is cooled down by the airflow.
Considerable differences in humidity and temperature between the inside and the outside of the headlights, even when the car is being driven, can create condensation. While condensation is most common in cold and wet weather, it can also occur after a car wash, after the engine or front end has been steam-cleaned, or when the temperature changes. Condensation is more visible on lenses made of clear glass than on lenses with patterns. The moisture does not affect the headlight function or light performance, and it does not lead to corrosion or damage of other headlight parts."

Last edited:
Reactions: mdsco
About two weeks ago I got a trade-in offer from a car dealership of 71.5k for my 2022 MYP with FSD and 14,000 miles. A week ago I was offered 66k from another dealership. Today I was offered 60k from third dealership and 51k from vroom. Something is happening.

Used car prices have collapsed - dropping 1% per week for two months. My Telluride offers have plummeted $12K+ under two months.

But more importantly for Tesla… their production has skyrocketed due to Austin now seemingly pumping out MLYRs (with 2170 cells). Used Teslas will be sold for less than MSRP soon.

You're just stating exactly what I did - that my positive experience and your apparently very negative experience
Unless something has changed, @phonetele226 does not have a tesla. They said this in multiple different posts around when they joined:

I do not own a Tesla but don’t see a problem with criticism of the brand.

I don’t have a Tesla yet so how would I know.

Simple question and hopefully someone can help me decide. I really want to order a MYP.

They definitely have a pretty deep seated opinion on the brand, however. @phonetele226 , given your opinions of the brand, which are your own of course, I have zero Idea how anyone with your opinions would ever consider buying this product.

You're just stating exactly what I did - that my positive experience and your apparently very negative experience (or you have no experience at all and are just a troll, which given your account creation date and post history I'm beginning to suspect) are extremely small sample sizes and 100% in line with pretty much every automotive brand in the history of ever. I've been an auto enthusiast for decades and have frequented many forums from many different manufactures and its always the same - lots of positive experiences and plenty of negative ones; Tesla is no different and your complaints are just literal noise not unique to Tesla in any way.
A very poor troll, he or she doesn't realize the condensation is normal. Our Tesla Service Center here in Burbank is literally 24 hours. The service here has been pretty stellar. In regards to quality, this poor woman's experience in regards to her ID4 hasn't exactly been great. Dealer response in regards to her issue "If we can't replicate the issue, we can't fix it" On a Tesla, pull up the log, boom done.

Reactions: voxel