Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The one thing keeping me from ordering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is going to sound ridiculous to a lot (probably most) of you, and I understand that. I would love to hear from people that feel like I do.

A sunroof is one of my favorite things about a car. 3 cars in about 15 years, I've always had one and always used it incessantly. I love getting some air to circulate without it blowing in my face, love the sun shining down on me, etc. I freaking love sunroofs.

Now, for those of you that were like me before getting a Y...

How bad do you miss it?

Have you gotten over it, or do you still miss it/wish the car had the option to come with one?

Thank you!

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
Same. Every prior car we’ve owned, including our first Model S, has had an operable sunroof that was used often. That said (written, actually)—I’ve gotten over it. Our Model 3 didn’t have it (RIP Model 3); neither current Model Y has one either. The benefits: a nice, big, clean glass panel that improves headroom and makes passengers in the backseat swoon.

I'm over a roof that can open. Most of my cars have featured one, and the reality is, based on my driving habits (mostly above 35mph), the noise and buffeting mean the roof stays closed most of the time. Same thing with the couple of Jeeps that I've owned - the tops stayed on 98% of the time.

Having had a car with a giant fixed pano roof already (Ford C-Max), it's a better fit for my driving patterns and preferences. Your rear seat occupants will thank you as well.

...the noise and buffeting mean the roof stays closed most of the time.
The only experienceI had with a car with a sunroof was to seat on the back seat !!!

I can tell you that I kept a very bad memory of it as you get then all the wind pressure on your face
and your ears are popping up like you experience it sometime in an airplane before landing.

However something that would be nice to get, is to have a rolling screen covering the roof panel glass,
so when the sun is up you can cover the roof to avoid getting too much sun and heat,
but otherwise you could roll down the screen to get a better view of the surrounding.

I put a fixed screen so my roof is always dark like if I had a car with a metal roof, which is a pity.

However something that would be nice to get, is to have a rolling screen covering the roof panel glass,
so when the sun is up you can cover the roof to avoid getting too much sun and heat,
but otherwise you could roll down the screen to get a better view of the surrounding.

I put a fixed screen so my roof is always dark like if I had a car with a metal roof, which is a pity.

Yes, this is unfortunate. My C-Max had a retractable opaque cover, my wife's Toyota has the same thing in her pano roof (which opens and tilts). There are debatably reasons not to offer including cost, manufacturing complexity, more stuff to service later, et al. I think it's great Tesla keeps the options and ordering process fairly minimal, doing otherwise would surely increase production time. But this seems like a miss given the size of the roof, the prevalence of their vehicles in sunny climates, and benefits such a retractable cover would provide.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Yes, this is unfortunate. My C-Max had a retractable opaque cover, my wife's Toyota has the same thing in her pano roof (which opens and tilts). There are debatably reasons not to offer including cost, manufacturing complexity, more stuff to service later, et al. I think it's great Tesla keeps the options and ordering process fairly minimal, doing otherwise would surely increase production time. But this seems like a miss given the size of the roof, the prevalence of their vehicles in sunny climates, and benefits such a retractable cover would provide.
I guess “The best part is no part. The best process is no process. It weighs nothing. Costs nothing. Can’t go wrong” - @elonmusk.

First car in a long time without one. Actually have been slowly regressing from having a convertible, to sunroofs, to the MY.

Honestly, I’m not missing it much. The hole has been filled 😉 with other things about the MY I love. It’s a pretty serene ride.

That said, I’m now thinking about an electric motorcycle to get my air/sun fix.

When I'm driving alone (not a Tesla... yet) I can get all the wind I want by lowering the front and rear passenger side windows up to half way - keeping them lined up. The wind tends to come at the driver from behind. Before I settled on that configuration I always seemed to be a terrible buffeting feeling, as the air pressure fluctuated. Using both side windows down the same seems to have eliminated that for me on a few different cars.

My last couple of cars had a moon roof which I appreciated and used. I can’t say that I miss having it, but I definitely appreciate having a solid glass roof. Such a great view and I have no regrets. Also I’ve become more of an AC guy now, keeps me cool and the cabin cleaner ☺️

My last couple of cars had a moon roof which I appreciated and used. I can’t say that I miss having it, but I definitely appreciate having a solid glass roof. Such a great view and I have no regrets. Also I’ve become more of an AC guy now, keeps me cool and the cabin cleaner ☺️
I would always open my moonroof at night... I do miss that.... Tho I'm over it... The lack of 360 view and cross traffic on the other hand, hahahaha

My first 3 cars had sunroofs and I really enjoyed using them. For my 4th (and current) car, I took was was available on the lot and it doesn't have a sunroof. I found that I didn't miss having one at all. Sure there were nice autumn days where I thought it would be nice to have a sunroof to open, but really didn't miss it. I'm currently in the waiting line to get a Model Y, and the lack of a sunroof that opens didn't even occur to me.