Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

the only thing what I and many other existing Tesla owners want to know that when battery upgrade o

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whenever their battery manufacturing capacity/supply significantly exceeds what's needed to build cars and grid storage would be my guess. If they need every battery they can make to get cars off the line and Powerpacks/Powerwalls out the door, then it would be silly to divert supply for a battery upgrade program. I'd say give it a few years.

I predict that in the future, there will be people upgrading the battery packs on their EV's and repurposing the old packs as home electricity storage to reduce those costs.

As Tesla's approach their million mile longevity goal for their cars, the older battery packs will find new uses.

battery upgrades would be nice to know but honestly this question has been asked multiple times and there isnt an official answer from Tesla.

my personal opinion i think is the battery is the least of the problems. i would be more worried about the computer components of the car. battery will not die, but it will degrade in quality(charge level)

Except, Tesla said all along the batteries would be upgradeable, and even recommended holding off until you can get a 20kW jump to make it make sense from a consumer perspective.
They have not been saying that "all along". There have been very specific instances where Tesla has upgraded the battery in the Model S and Musk did say a little while ago that it would be possible in the future but there has never been an official upgrade policy for the Model S or X.

At some point, I expect Tesla will add battery replacement/upgrade options - possibly only for S/X cars initially, to provide increased value for the S/X cars vs. 3/Y.

Once Tesla starts doing battery replacement/upgrades, they may be able to refurbish the returned battery packs, and get them operating well enough to provide them as a lower cost option for the replacement/upgrade than buying a new battery pack.

For example, when a 90 owner upgrades to a 100 battery pack, Tesla could refurbish the 90 pack to get back most of the range, and then sell the refurbished pack to a 40, 60 or 75 owner at a lower price than a brand new pack, with a reasonable warranty.

I'm not holding my breath on this one, they don't seem to want to do battery upgrades, they rather sell you an entirely new car =(.

Yea but that totally goes against the philosophy of being green. I would love to maximize the Model S as long as I can like 5-10 years. I would love to have more range in it, otherwise I love my model now. I wouldn't have to deal with transfers custom plate, custom stereo subwoofer, tint, hov stickers, etc and have to redo all that in the next car. It's time and money

I think for me sweet spot is 280-300 miles. I like to be able to drive to Yosemite or Zion or Death Valley driving around sight seeing and maximizing the day without having to waste time to drive back out to SC to charge during the day. Just max charge before going in and on the way out to go home or hotel.

Able to skip one or two SC location to save time. Sleep over a friend house where there is no SC near by and no 240v

Able to skip one or two SC location to save time.
I generally have to stop about as often as there are SCs regardless of battery (or gas tank) situation :) The main reason for bigger battery lust is to drive on routes not covered by SCs and get off of the boring freeways. Having to take road trips on freeways (without going miles out of your way) is probably the biggest downside to the Tesla.

Reactions: smilepak